• You are not logged in.

Joel's switch to colemak

• Started by joelwong1352
    • 4 Replies:

Hi everyone,
    I started to learn colemak a while back, but finally decided to create an account today. So my story goes like this: I learnt dvorak in October of last year, and liked it quite a lot. I got a speed of about 50 wpm by the start of this year but then I was curious to try colemak since I thought it was more balanced and would benefit me, a left hander. It was hard and never really caught on. I used it and got a speed of about 40 wpm but then went back to dvorak. I went on to switch between both layouts and got faster at colemak. Switching from alternation to more rolls was just hard but I am quite ok with it now. And I like how ls and ll are no longer issues.

I decided colemak was going to be the layout I would use a few days ago and I also found a colemak layout version that has the backspace instead of caps without any fancy computer stuff. Link: https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1621 and that really made me like colemak even more! So now I am typing this in colemak, and the only time my hand ever moves, it seems, is to get the j or b keys. Now my default layout is colemak with backspace and I really like it. Well, I guess you can call me one of those 'swingers' that went from qwerty to dvorak to colemak. I also use the wide mod occasionally but I find the shifted right hand position rather hard as I would make many typos. I'm glad I'm not typing on qwerty!

Joel

Welcome! I switched to Dvorak first, like you. But I'm very happy with Colemak now; hope your experience will be as pleasurable! :)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I too am a  switcher to Colemak from Dvorak. Dvorak certainly has a nice feel to it and from my experience, the hand alteration gives you better accuracy. The rolling on Colemak takes a little getting used to when switching from Dvorak, but I can tell you that Colemak does win in the end when it comes to shortcuts.

Knightjp just can't get enough of those shortcuts ;)

Last edited by pinkyache (08-Mar-2013 14:25:39)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Haha... Ur right Pinkyache... :P