• You are not logged in.

A DIY ergonomic colemak keyboard

• Started by ndiaz
    • 11 Replies:

Hi Guys, i have been working the latest two years on making a colemak ergonomic keyboard, the need from that appears when i switched to colemak as sometimes i have to work when no colemak layout have not loaded like for example working at the bios level or working with another person's computer.
    So the only workable way i found was to build a keyboard, so i join some keyboard enthusiastic websites and with all the information i learned from that i was able to build my own keyboard, the keyboard features a firmware programmable device which let you choose the layout you want and defaults to colemak but it also include support for qwerty and dvorak, you don't have deal with dip switches, you have a special key called the key64 key that let you perform all this magic, it also include a key based embedded mouse and all the features you will expect from a standard pc104 keyboard, the keyboard is switchable from 6 n-key to full n-key rollover if you want and if your operating system supports it , and best of all is a libre (free as in freedom) keyboard as i have published all the information required to build it from scratch, right now all the parts required to assembly cost about 250 U$ aprox, so for the price is still at the hobbiest niche, i didn't have any previous experiences doing something similar before but it have been a wonderful experience.
    I still need a help finishing the keyboard case so if somebody have some 3d experience and want to collaborate with us your contributions will be very welcome.
    Thanks to all.
    The keyboard website is located at http://www.key64.org/
    Here is an image of what i have done:
    diy ergonomic colemak keyboard

Last edited by ndiaz (18-Mar-2013 20:46:40)

Wow, that's a lot of work you've done there! Congrats.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Looks awesome, great work!

Thanks, i would like to hear your comments about the layout:

http://www.key64.org/design

Since i remove some keys i think the i18n colemak layer (Alt Gr) need some adjustments.

For me is ok since i am spanish speaker then áñéíóú are the only ones i need but probably for others that will not be the case.

That's lovely work!  I'm not sure if it's something you're interested in, but if so, I've been working towards the idea of building a set of keyboard gloves to use with Chordmak (a variant of Colemak that uses only ten input points) - you can see my original (very rudimentary) effort here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDqbPhY-A4w - I'd love to connect with someone who actually has some experience at this sort of thing.
    If you'd be interested in collaborating, just drop me a line via the asetniop website (asetniop.com)!

Hi asetniop, i sent you an email with my data.

Building an asetniop is not difficult at all.

The magic is done at the firmware level.

For this purpose you need an avr based board like arduino but teensy is better suited for this purpose.

As for the firmware you can use the tmk_keyboard firmware avaialable at github, this is a modular firmware, the same the key64 use, also you can build a key64 keyboard and use it as a starting point and that will save you a lot of time, believe me.

Then, you have to tweak the firmware and define your keymap, as what i have seen the asetniop is a layered keyboard, that means a letter is sent to he host controller after he reach a combination, that means you have a keymap that when a key is pressed it will change to another layer and then another and then it finds a 'leaf' .

The key64 is minimalist in its design too but not too much :) , there is a known fork around that added some additional keys but since i don't need more keys then i haven't added them as i only need just the keys i can type on, in other words: a keyboard for a touch typing user, but i also need a keyboard with a symbols layer for typing regular expressions like `~$@\{(['{[('^%*|&")]}!#-_=+ which are a pain to type using a standard keyboard, colemak addresses the placement of the keys for the English language and make a good effort for international characters but not for the placement of the symbols which varies from what you need, usually programming languages, so for example is you are a lisp uses you will find the key64 a good keyboard for programming lisp as the '()' keys are located at the middle fingers in fact all the {[('")]} are located at the home row for a better programming pleasure, in a standard keyboard you will be sick typing just with the right pinky or at the keyboard periphery , which i have never been able to manage proficiently.

One question: what is the license that cover the asentiop ? that's not clear , the colemak keyboard licence is libre :  https://colemak.com/wiki/index.php?title=License as the key64 too : http://www.key64.org/license/open-source-hardware so is the asentiop a free as in freedom license, or a free with restrictions ?

Basically there are three licensing options available:

(a)  A free non-commercial license to use and distribute the basic ASETNIOP (and Chordmak and Chordvak) map and stenographic combination assignments (for research, experimentation, and non-commercial applications).

(b)  A commercial license for the basic ASETNIOP map and stenographic combination assignments for devices and software that are offered for sale.

(c)  A commercial license for the basic ASETNIOP map, stenographic combination assignments and additional processes [including the autocorrect and autofill processes, handwriting recognition capabilities, and the generation process for stenographic combinations (which allows for user-defined custom layouts)].

Free non-commercial license means asentiop is a trap, and i encourage people to not use your software as this is not free as in freedom, this is a forum where people share knowdlege, this is not a forum where people come and sell snake oil to subscribed users.

What is innovative about asetniop ? the layout idea ? that means anybody can claim a patent on a keyboard layout ? Go F*ck Yourself, Colemak makes a good effort doing that and Shai Coleman wasn't the first to do that anyway, there is extensive research about that in the Internet.

What is innovative about asetniop ? the chorded idea ? i have seen that a long before from chorded braille keyboards like this:

chorted braille keyboard

What is innovative about asetniop ? the layered idea ? that was implemented a long time ago with the Alt-Gr and Fn keys.

So why do you think you can restrict users and charge them when at the end they will end up implemented the same stupid obvious idea ? (assuming no one have done that before which i don't think so); even worse the fact that such project is ruling by someone who is acting as a pirate taken by himself the inventions of others.

asetniop said:

Basically there are three licensing options available:

(a)  A free non-commercial license to use and distribute the basic ASETNIOP (and Chordmak and Chordvak) map and stenographic combination assignments (for research, experimentation, and non-commercial applications).

(b)  A commercial license for the basic ASETNIOP map and stenographic combination assignments for devices and software that are offered for sale.

(c)  A commercial license for the basic ASETNIOP map, stenographic combination assignments and additional processes [including the autocorrect and autofill processes, handwriting recognition capabilities, and the generation process for stenographic combinations (which allows for user-defined custom layouts)].

Oh dear. NDiaz, refrain from this kind of abusive language or I think there will be repercussions (although I do not administer them myself). This forum is as you correctly point out for the sharing and discussion of knowledge and ideas, and I would like to point out that the tone in here in general is highly informative and helpful. Your aggressive tone makes me highly uncomfortable.

If there are differences regarding understanding of licensing (which is a complex issue with many pitfalls) I'm sure it can be discussed civilly. You're basically calling asetniop a crook as far as I can see, and that simply isn't my impression at all. Consider other interpretations.

Last edited by DreymaR (02-Apr-2013 14:49:58)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Strong opinions on software freedom, I see.

I myself become apprehensive when using something of questionable freedom.  I really don't want to end up locked-into another standard that everyone's forced to pay money for.

Thus, when a useful tool, like messagease, is patented, I often end up hoping it is not successful; that way, the patent holder has no serious incentive to start enforcing it.  Kinda weird reaction to something you fundamentally like.

For this particular case, I doubt the layout would be available in Linuxes since they usually either have commercial backers and/or are heavy on the freedom. Android (which I presume to be the OS behind glass) is more flexible in this, but here the autocorrect/autofill being commercial-only is particularly worrisome.  If those are not usable, I doubt any cyanogenmod dev (for example) would implement the layout at all.

I'm really glad to see how the KEY64 has come along.

I could see this in a super minimalist case (basically a case bottom only) and usable with a laptop. I still haven't had time to go to your website yet to see the added info, but it's on my list of things to do soon.

Great work, and I look forward to checking it out in more detail!

An Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkey From Hell typing with Colemak saved my life!