• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • The best technology makes things easy for everyone, including the poor

The best technology makes things easy for everyone, including the poor

• Started by suguru
    • 1 Replies:

The more things you do to convince users that you know and accept all of the best technologies, the more users will believe that Colemak is the best technology for them.  You score high in my book.  You could score higher by posting Python instead of Perl scripts.  Almost anyone can read Python scripts.  Perl scripts are harder.  The Perl philosophy is "There is more than one way to do it."  I agree.  There is the best way and every other way.  The Python philosophy is 'There should be one obvious way to do it.'  Such approach cannot always bring out the best way from everyone but it gets closer than anything else I have seen.

After spending hours on this, I am almost convinced to switch to Colemak.  The things that hold me back are 1.  The lack of being able to select Colemak as my preference from a standard Ubuntu keyboard preferences menu.  2.  The lack of a script for every OS or at least a script for each one that I could just put on a pen drive and execute to make Colemak the preferred kb.  3.  There are no references to Deb, RPM, or Windows patches that can be downloaded if the first 2 options are not available.  My name means Good Teacher in the language of one third world country.  I would not be a good teacher if I tried to teach poor partially educated people to use something that did not solve at least one of the 3 problems above.  Most of the world consists of poor partially educated people.  So a better kb that is not a solution for them is not a good solution in my opinion.

If you decide to go with Colemak, be welcome.

But please realize that we don't have experts for all aspects of computing working for you here. In fact, if you are knowledgeable then feel free to contribute. I'm working on a pen drive solution for Windows myself but I don't work too fast nowadays. If you can do better, then do so. (If not, then please respect the lack of funding we're operating under here...)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • Technical
      • The best technology makes things easy for everyone, including the poor