• You are not logged in.

Generic Colemak Experience

• Started by aFFiliation
    • 9 Replies:

Hello, all.  I've recently reached my old typing speed, so I thought I'd share while my exams are over, and work has yet to start.

I didn't start typing well until about 8th grade, but I've been touch typing, and typing properly since then (7 years).  Typing on QWERTY I averaged 85-90WPM on hi-games, with peaks of 120WPM or so.  Decided to have a go at Colemak after bad attempts at Dvorak, and the purchase of a mechanical keyboard, which in fact, gives quite a bit of motivation for anyone considering buying one.  Started in mid January using TypeFaster for the practice lessons, then switched over to Amphetype once I learned all the keys.  Learning the home row was much more difficult than anything else, and I skipped the lessons for the bottom row, as they keys were basically the same.  About 4 months later of about 30 minute daily sessions, and I've hit about the same WPM as QWERTY, with peaks of 110WPM.  About 100WPM in 10FF, and about 90WPM in hi-games tests.  Switched completely only after 50WPM, as I needed to type decently quickly to take notes for classes.  Using Ryan Heise's Colemak program works well if you're not typing at home, no trouble with using that. 

type

For the most part, typing feels more fluid than QWERTY, and more intuitive than Dvorak.  No problems with any individual keys, but some combination of letters are still a little difficult; should improve with practice I'm sure.  Particularly 'd' in close relation to 'g', and repeated finger keys are tricky.  Using Java, Microsoft Office, and Photoshop has not been too difficult.  The shortcuts need some getting use to, but generally not a high learning curve.  Although I do no use the CAPS LOCK backspace as my main backspace, it helps for shortcuts.  That's basically the gist of it, worthwhile for sure.  I wish you all the best.

Wow, another success story, excellently written.

Congratulations!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Just a little update for those interested. It has been about 8 months since my last post, and almost a year since picking up Colemak. Progress has been slow, with only about 10-15 WPM bumps in different tests, which is probably because I don't actively invest time practicing typing anymore. Typing common words with Colemak has been much easier than I can recall for QWERTY, which can spike up to about 150-170WPM, but the unfamiliar words balance it out by being quite slower. It'll probably take some time (years) to relearn and become comfortable with larger words again, but it will come in time.

109WPM - Hi-games - 30 sec
    98WPM  - Hi-games - 1 min
    115WPM - 10FF
    92WPM  - TypeRacer average all time

No fancy graphs or stats, but some discussion about some (perhaps) unique experiences. Since cutting off QWERTY completely, my touch typing has all but disappeared. Typing QWERTY now requires extensively looking down at the keyboard, but I can still manage a decent pace; around 75-80WPM, so all is not lost. This is considering that no effort has been involved in maintaining QWERTY typing. In terms of typing on a touch device such as a tablet, QWERTY is still mainly used, and has suffered no noticeable drops, with swype/swiftkey offering the same results. This could probably be attributed to the fact that it's similar to looking at the keys when typing on a keyboard, so the procedural memory in motor skills is left intact. In terms of finger rolls on certain words and trigrams, the increase in speed feels fine on some, but a little restrictive on others. Particularly for words that have consecutive outer finger (pinky and ring finger) keys, it feels akin to having your hand on a difficult chord for those of you who are familiar with piano/guitar playing - something along the lines of typing "layout" for a lack of a better example. I also find that as speed increases, a lot of typos come in the form of a sort of letter metathesis (basically mixed up letters) and not just outright hitting the wrong letter. This might have something to do with the alternation between hands and fingers, or just linguistic processing, but I have no physical evidence for it - take "you're" for example, which has 4 letters on the right hand followed by one on the left (comes out as "your'e" more often than I'd like to admit). In terms of hand weighting, as you type in 10-20+ minute sessions, there is a noticeable right hand bias (as indicated by Shai already), but nothing discomforting; it seems to be just a mental thing. Also, even at a year in, typing when tired is a lot more difficult than QWERTY especially for unfamiliar words, even when typing slowly, but this has improved with time.

Some programs to discuss further in depth. Many of the shortcuts in programs have been designed for use of the left hand, while in concurrent use with the mouse. For Photoshop, some of the main hotkeys such as merge and duplicate might require you to use your right hand, or stretch your left to reach the keys. Old hotkeys such as ctrl+s have been switched since the last post, and is not proving to be a problem at all. For programming, there isn't much of a learning curve, the semicolon is perhaps the only major move, but it's quite simple to adapt to once you are familiar with the layout (other people seem to have covered programming pretty well already, so I won't go into details). Document editors such as MS Word, and MS Excel aren't affected much either, since much of the actually data uses code i.e. =VLOOKUP, and not hotkeys. As with gaming, it's actually surprising how many companies automatically switch your keys for you i.e. WASD to WARS, along with E to F, R to P, etc, as I assume they are using your registry to assign keys. Some games don't though, and it may take a couple minutes to set up all the keys. You also have to be careful with games that won't take 'yes' for an answer, and won't allow you to change your keys, but using a simple AutoHotKey script will solve it easily. Switching my typing layout during university hasn't been much of a problem either, although some labs have required a temporary account with no access to the Colemak switcher, so it was back to typing terribly in QWERTY for these; keep up to date with your QWERTY! Good luck again everyone, I hope to see more Colemak typists out there.

For anyone interested that is using Colemak as their default Windows language setting, although it's quite easy to find yourself, or create one, here is Colemak back to QWERTY for gaming:

#SingleInstance force
    #MaxHotkeysPerInterval 100
    #UseHook
    Process, Priority,, Realtime
    SetKeyDelay -1

Capslock::Suspend, Toggle
    ^Capslock::Capslock

-::-
    =::=
    q::q
    w::w
    f::e
    p::r
    g::t
    j::y
    l::u
    u::i
    y::o
    `;::p
    [::[
    ]::]
    a::a
    r::s
    s::d
    t::f
    d::g
    h::h
    n::j
    e::k
    i::l
    o::`;
    '::'
    z::z
    x::x
    c::c
    v::v
    b::b
    k::n
    m::m
    ,::,
    .::.
    /::/
    Enter::Enter
    ;Space::Space

^+Esc::
    Run, "C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe"
    Process, Priority, taskmgr.exe, Realtime
    Return
    Last edited by aFFiliation (16-Dec-2013 01:25:47)

Great reading posts like this.  Are you happy with the layout switch?  And with hindsight, would you have still switched?

Sounds like there are a few odd hangups.  I guess typing well in Qwerty for 7 years is a hard habit to move away from.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Other than some minor inconveniences here and there, I'd say it's been worthwhile. The hardest 2 months are pretty much distant memories by now, and I quite enjoyed watching my improvement over the days and weeks in the early stages. For the relatively small amount of time invested, and the potential for decades of typing to come, I'd jot it down as a long term investment. Not to mention it's quite fun when people try to type on my keyboard, and fail miserably at it. Plus, it adds a (small) layer of security on my computer; I don't expect people to go to the trouble of changing the keyboard layout to try and do whatever it is they're trying to do. On a related note, I noticed that it took a bit of time for me to relearn all my passwords, and I still type them fairly slowly. Also, just a heads up, if you have a password on Windows machines, it won't switch to Colemak until you've logged in, so be prepared to memorize your passwords in QWERTY if it's not done by muscle memory - note that its much harder if you have a blank keyboard like myself. I've also had an employer comment about it, and I think they looked upon it favourably, so it's been a great experience with low upkeep on my part after the initial time investment.

Last edited by aFFiliation (17-Dec-2013 01:26:23)

You can change pasword to mixture of qwahzxcvbm1234567890, so you can type it in Qwerty and Colemak alike.

Last edited by Tony_VN (17-Dec-2013 09:16:56)

{I know that colleagues absolutely hate it, if I leave my layout on a computer.  I always try to flip it as I leave.   Having the password prompt appear after sitting idle can be a headache for others.  In OSX Mavericks, at least your layout is displayed on the password screen - not that obvious - but at least it's there.  Other OS manufacturers should take note.

It seems doubly frustrating for the Colemak crowd.  Which is unfortunate, I think the fault lies here mainly in the OS/s.

My layout switcher on Xfce (Debian Wheezy) on my laptop also frequently goes down the swanny.  Pretty pathetic in this day and age.  Luckily I don't have to share it often or I'd be bashing my head against a brick wall.}

Last edited by pinkyache (17-Dec-2013 08:46:26)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Back again after a long hiatus.

It's almost been two years and some minor updates with Colemak for those still out there. With work restricting the programs that can be run on the computers (bye-bye Colemak.exe) and a huge hit in productivity at work typing in crappy QWERTY, I was basically forced to relearn QWERTY. It wasn't actually too difficult, much less of a learning curve relearning QWERTY than jumping the ship to Colemak - it took about a month to get back into the swing of things. As of now, I sometimes begin typing in the wrong language, but can switch pretty much instantly now. New results for those interested:

Peaks:

110WPM - 10FF (Colemak)
    90 WPM - TypeRacer (Colemak)
    105WPM - 10FF (QWERTY)
    84 WPM - TypeRacer (QWERTY)

So a slight drop off from the peak of purely Colemak typing, but there's the added benefit of having QWERTY at hand when needed. Currently I do not actively practice typing in either language; typing is strictly a as-needed basis separated by mainly Colemak for home and university and QWERTY for work and all other situations. To note: there are language specific tasks and settings that either improve or worsen my speeds i.e. home work station sees improvement in Colemak and a slight drop in QWERTY in normal typing applications. Normal results are taken using an RSI application at work to track the number of keystrokes.

Home:

110WPM - 10FF (Colemak)
    98 WPM - Normal (Colemak Non-test)
    82 WPM - 10FF (QWERTY)
    94 WPM - Normal (QWERTY Non-test)

Performing a 10FF test using QWERTY at home is significantly worse (82WPM) even though typing in QWERTY for everything other than typing tests sees similar performance to work speeds (94 WPM). Work sees similar results:

Work:

105WPM - 10FF (QWERTY)
    96 WPM - Normal (QWERTY Non-test)
    98 WPM - 10FF (Colemak)
    88 WPM - Normal (Colemak Non-test)

Note that these results have different distributions of use and aren't normalized, but gives a good sense of my experience of situational typing. Another interesting thing is that for mobile keyboards, I still extensively use QWERTY and have not dropped off anywhere in terms in speeds and has remained fairly intact. Using SWYPE with QWERTY has improved though, but I can't exactly attribute a strong correlation to relearning QWERTY. Colemak on mobile is still quite abysmal due to a lack of practice. This pretty much sums up my experience and I don't there should be anymore surprises in store.

You don't want to use Colemak on your mobile! You want an input app that's made for mobile phones. I heartily recommend MessagEase, with the added bonus that I have a setup for it that utilizes Colemak knowledge ("Colemakoid MessagEase layout", see my sig topics).

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***