• You are not logged in.

My experience learning Colemak

• Started by wjames
    • 16 Replies:

Hi. I'll comment my experience after some practice with colemark.

I 'm using QWERTY since I had a computer, I didn't learn to touch type properly, and I had a speed of about 50 WPM in QWERTY (I measure it with keybr.com ).

Some months ago I learned about alternative layouts. The idea made sense to me, specially after reading the statistics and reasons for something better than qwerty. So first I tried Dvorak. I couldn't get used to dvorak, I couldn't gain speed easily, found hand alternation awkward and made many mistakes with the Ctrl+Z, X, C and other shortcuts.

Then I read about Colemak and I tried it. I like the change of the Caps lock for Backspace, I have no problem with shortcuts with Colemak, and I found it much easier than Dvorak to learn. I have been practicing Colemak about 10 minutes a day for the last 3 months, and right now my speed is 36 wpm. i'm finding it hard to improve speed now, but I guess I just need more practice.

I often have problems with the "R" in Colemak, it's the letter with which I make more mistakes. I believe it's only a matter of practice.

To practice typing, I'm finding useful the following program https://code.google.com/p/amphetype/ because it can use any text I like to practice. It's meant to be used when you already learned the layout. To learn the layout I used mainly keybr.com

I would recommend Colemark to anyone wanting to learn to touch type. It certainly is more efficient than qwerty regarding finger movement and also the transition from qwerty seems easier than in other layouts.

I still use mainly qwerty because I often share my pc and I'm still faster in qwerty, but I'm willing to fully switch to colemak once my speed increases.

I switched to use Colemak full time when my speed is 30wpm. Then my speed increases to 70wpm now.

To increase speed further, you need to use Colemak full time. That will solidify the muscle memory.

For sharing PC you can use the Colemak portable file
    http://www.ryanheise.com/colemak.exe

Last edited by Tony_VN (11-May-2013 05:42:23)

If you're into shortcuts like I am, you might consider moving ctrl to caps (replacing backspace).  Colemak has easily the highest shortcut density on the left side, and this is like putting it on steroids.

pnzqwDf.png

green - unchanged shortcuts
    dark purple - improved shortcuts
    light purple - improved shortcuts that we probably won't actually use
    orange - slightly deproved shortcuts
    red - significantly deproved shortcuts

orange - equally good shortcut (but requires relearning)
    red - deproved shortcuts

Edit: as a side note, I didn't realize amphetype was so abandoned.  I had just submitted a bug report.

Last edited by lalop (13-May-2013 09:23:58)

As Tony said, if I were you, I'd start using it full time, I'm sure you'll see much faster improvement if you do. If you have your reasons not to – work or whatever, then at least increase your training time. 10 minutes a day is not enough. I don't want to give you a number of minutes – the important thing is to always be fresh when you train, so your brain can absorb and learn fast.

Even if you don't use it full time, at least do as much work on Colemak, as you can, for example when you're home. Do your internet browsing, isntant messaging, emails, forum posts with Colemak. It'll be slower at first, but beneficial.

Nice shortcut map, Lalop! But I wouldn't say that Ctrl+S is deteriorated (is 'deprove' a proper word?) even slightly. I have absolutely no problems with it at least.

In general, moving stuff around breaks the programmers' expectations which makes shortcuts worse. It's nice that Colemak works so well with these shortcuts! Also I think it's preferable to not mess overmuch with the shifted number row and such symbols because they're also often needed for shortcuts and coding. So yes – Colemak is a good shortcut layout.

I use the Caps key for much more than just the shortcuts, so I didn't move the Ctrl. Lalop's image still holds true for me, just with slightly more awkward (but quite acceptable) stretches.

Last edited by DreymaR (13-May-2013 08:55:52)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

According to urban dictionary, yes.

Changed the description of orange a little.

In my experience, the new shortcut positions did require some getting used to, but upon having done that they were simply much better.  Going back to QWERTY might be a bit of a problem (but then again, the Ctrl being moved breaks my muscle memory anyway, so no bigger deal).

Heh. The urban dictionary will tell you far too much you know.... Just don't rely heavily on it if you're in a serious situation, OK? ;)

Personal opinion: 'Deproved' is an unnecessary word which will easily lend itself to confusion with 'disproved' (my intuitive understanding was that 'deprove' signifies a weakening of a proof!). Furthermore, similar word pairs like 'implore' and 'deplore' are not antonyms. Nothing is wrong with 'worsen' for instance. </soapboxmode>

I find that mnemonic shortcuts such as S for Save and F for Find are okay once you know both Colemak and QWERTY well (that is, after the initial confusion of changing layouts). Shortcuts like ZXCV and W are thankfully not moved as they don't have this advantage.

Last edited by DreymaR (13-May-2013 13:05:40)

Antonyms of Improve:

damage, decline, decrease, diminish, harm, hurt, injure, weaken, worsen

http://thesaurus.com/browse/improve

I've never heard of the word Deprove!  The Urban dictionary is a joke, right?

Last edited by pinkyache (14-May-2013 09:02:04)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Nope, urban dictionary is 100% legit; I'm even listed there.  Also, implore and deplore seem to be antonyms in spirit, if not exact definition.  However, I do agree that deprove has confusing intuition (though, if one stops and thinks about it, a proof can only be weakened (as opposed to disproved entirely) by weakening its premises or conclusion, which would probably not be called a "deproof").

As for mnemonicness, I'm not sure.  There's no shortcut I remember without remembering what the letter actually is.  The only problem is that the combo is no longer where you expected it to be, which I don't think being mnemonic helps solve.

Last edited by lalop (14-May-2013 13:32:46)

A disproofed proof, surely indicates that the proof ceases being a proof; let alone a weakened one!

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Yeah, the UD is legit. It's also quite silly, a wiki of people's more or less personal neologisms. Helluva fun read if you have the time!

The subtler points of prefixes are an interesting study. No, I wouldn't say that 'implore' and 'deplore' are antonyms at all – but of course there's a link between them since they share the same latin root ('plorare' – to cry)! The prefixes aren't direct opposites either: 'Im' usually stems from latin 'in' (in; into; not; opposite) whereas 'de' (down; down from; off; concerning) can have both similar and dissimilar meanings but certainly isn't the opposite pole! But enough of that, eh.

The mnemonic value of shortcuts may depend on how you use them. If you're using Vim for instance, you may be trained in thinking about the command names mnemonically linked to the hotkeys. Therefore, Vim really is quite fine with remapping apart from the arrow keys. So once the muscle memory of the S key was learned the hotkey seemed completely in place since I remembered it primarily by the command word 'Save'. That may be a bad example though since the S is problematic to many when learning Colemak from QWERTY. But it's the same with I and O for instance.

Last edited by DreymaR (15-May-2013 09:48:49)

Ah – not enough of that then. ;)

What slang language a court needs to understand should hopefully in no notable way constitute a guideline as to what is considered *good* or even generally understandable language!

Even so, you probably did notice the part that goes:

Tom Dalzell, senior editor of The New Partridge Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English said:

"Using [Urban Dictionary] in court is a terrible idea; they don't claim to be an authority or a reference"
    "Some of the stuff on their site is very good, but there is more chaff than wheat. It is a lazy person's resource." As with many crowdsourced sites, taking things with a grain of salt isn't a bad idea.

Last edited by DreymaR (22-May-2013 09:12:38)

Hi. I kept practicing colemak, and now It's the main layout I use. I find it very comfortable.
    Using it full time seems like the best way to improve, like your advices suggested.
    Also I found a good linux typing program that I used a bit for practicing, Klavaro.

I write mainly in spanish. I find colemak's key combinations for special characters very smooth. I like it more than the spanish keyboard's keys to add special symbols. For example, with colemak I press Alt+vowels to type á é í ó and alt+n to make the ñ. It's very fast, I don't miss at all having a key for ñ or a key for adding the tilde to á é í ó.

An improvement for keyboards that I'm thiking about, not related to colemak, is: why don't we have the shift key in a more comfortable place? I don' like to use the little fingers to reach out. I didn' think a solution to it. Maybe as all word processors nowadays automatically convert the letters that follow a point to capitals, it is not necessary. However a better placement for shift and control keys may be more ergonomical.

Last edited by wjames (09-Jul-2013 03:04:28)
    wjames said:

a better placement for shift and control keys may be more ergonomical.

Then let's come up with one.  There's a mostly useless caps lock key that many do replace with one or the other.  (Having caps as backspace is a little more useful, but ultimately not essential as you can instead set it as an AltGr character, while this is much more awkward to try to do with Ctrl or shift.)

The other spots I can think of are the middle (in the case of a wide layout; the problem being this is also pretty hard to reach), replacing '" (which would then be shifted upwards - but you can't really do this if you're already on a wide layout), or even replacing the enter key (though I don't think I'd recommend this, the enter being very useful).

Last edited by lalop (09-Jul-2013 05:31:21)

just lower case everything, and be damned with the wretched shift keys.  you'd have thought that text input aids could at least know and help with initial caps and full stop placement.

perhaps you could transform spaces,  two spaces -> fullstop,  two spaces and an initial caps.

(yeah, yeah, i know that doesn't deal with symbols)

i quite liked sean wrona's approach of abandoning shifts for capslock, though personally i might be in favour of sticky keys, and the placement of shift on the capslock.  i do use escape quite a bit though, so have always been tempted to bring that down, but have been scared about getting into the habit.  it's bad enough when i switch to a normal editor after vim - and i keep hitting escape all the time11

Last edited by pinkyache (09-Jul-2013 11:50:20)

--

Oh wow, I've never realized what sticky keys actually were. Sweet! (although this will take some time getting used to)..

I'm still not sure it's worth moving shift over to caps in lieu of ctrl, but I suppose it depends also on your typing style.

Esc is another non-modifier character, like backspace. You should limit the valuable side slots (the caps/shift keys) for modifiers, putting the non-mods as modifier characters, e.g. AltGr-f for backspace, AltGr-t for ESC.   This is because, no matter how useful the non-modifier key might be, the modifier key can be used for some twenty other keys (or, in the case of ctrl, for about 8-12 other keys very often).

Edit: I'm not really sure sticky keys are good for intricate commands.  Combos like AltGr and Ctrl have to be pressed in the right order, a little bif of a pain.  Due to repeated modifier presses, you can get an additional keypress for every chained key (so C-x C-f goes from effectively two to four keypresses), which may be okay if you're Sean Wrona, but not really for the rest of us.  Especially since such combos have a high level of repeated characters.

Edit 2: Another thing I've noticed about is that, as long as you're typing fast enough, shift+key is often indistinguishable from shift->key.  So I'm not entirely sure how much it adds to this most basic combi.

Last edited by lalop (10-Jul-2013 11:33:16)