• You are not logged in.

My cold turkey transition

• Started by henrixh
    • 7 Replies:

Hello everyone! I thought I whould share my experience in learning colemak the cold turkey way. But first some background information.

I am going to college next year, to study computer science, so I thought i would learn to use a keyboard the right way, to save my wrists and fingers. A little bit less than a year ago I first heard about dvorak, and thought "What the heck, let's try", and went complete cold turkey on dvorak. However, this did not work, so I gave up after 2 weeks, when I had enough of typing "ls -a" on dvorak.

On qwerty, I have no idea how to type properly. Before colemak I was typing at roughly 28WPM according to 10fastfingers, using about four of my ten fingers. But last autumn I started thinking again. I took a brief look at dvorak again, but it simply didn't work. Then I found out about all the other keyboard layouts, including colemak. So, once again I went cold turkey (yes, I'm a cold turkey guy...). This time I used a homebrew colemak xmodmap with the often used åäö (In Swedish, that is.) on altGr+rst, contrary to standard colemak. One thing I learned from that experience is that xmodmap is NOT FUN.

The first day was horrible. I used a map of the colemak layout as wallpaper, and that was it. Just half an hour in a typing tutor the first day, and that's all the typing tutoring I have done. I tried to really take the typing slow, and get it right from the beginning. I think I dropped down to about 3WPM.

The second day, my girlfriend did not like my experiment with colemak. Each IM message took a few minutes to compose, and I was about to smash the keyboard with a nearby hammer.

But after a week of hell, I knew where the keys were, and could remove that ugly wallpaper. The second week was not as hellish as the first, but still awful. I had gotten up to about 10WPM.

The third week I was starting to accept the new layout. My IMs took less time to write, the keyboard didn't get smashed, and I starded to get a little used to it. This week, my speed got up to something like 15WPM. It was still slow, but it started to get closer to my old qwerty speed. When I used the qwerty keyboards at my school, I started to try to write colemak on them by reflex.

A few weeks later I was basicly up in my old qwerty speed, but unlike on qwerty, my typing speed did not stop there, but it improved further.

Now, about six months later, I am typing at 45-55 WPM, and still improving. I enjoy colemak all the time now, and I have absolutely no regrets about the switch. I (fortunately) switched to a costum Xkb layout, based on the colemak layout included in X on arch linux, but with my åäö mod, and the standard '9' and '0' buttons replaced with '(' and ')' for some reason. Sometime in the future I might improve this layout further... I got a TypeMatrix keyboard (typematrix.com). It has a colemak switch built in, so one keystroke and I can use my keyboard on every computer. Unfortunately some of the special characters get scrambled on a swedish qwerty layout using my keyboard. Wonderful keyboard.

I don't have the dicipline to not go cold turkey. I would completly fail if I were to use some transitional layouts or just practice for a few minutes a day. I can recommend cold turkey, but only if the will and the time exists. After one month, the hellish experience is over, and the fun begins.

Look in my sig topic. I have two variants of Swedish Colemak: One that keeps the symbols as they are on the keys (the simplest approach for someone coming from Swedish QWERTY) and one that works from the standard Colemak in a way I've found very satisfying (I'm Norwegian).

Not sure if you can patch Arch directly like Ubuntu – if the X.Org versions and file X11 directory structure are the same it will work – otherwise there are original/modified files to play with. Let me know if you try it and run into trouble!

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited by DreymaR (16-May-2013 10:07:15)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I like your work DreymaR!
    However, I've grown used to the åäö on rst, and I don't think that will change. But somer reading on your files might help me get started on my own costumizations.

About the arrows and editing tools; I'm an Emacs user, so I'm probably sticking to the awkward and strange emacs commands.

I just inserted my own layout in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us, copying the standard colemak layout and editing that. That won't work under gnome and arch btw.

Thanks!

You might be interested in colemak-evil; here's a [mostly inaccurate] map of what my slightly rigged version does:

hiz4Q6y.png

I just realized it doesn't seem to be licensed properly, so out of an abundance of caution I've opened an issue and will just copy/paste my additions here:

;lalop changes

;(define-key evil-normal-state-map "\\" 'evil-indent)

(define-key evil-normal-state-map (kbd "TAB")  'evil-indent)

(set-in-all-evil-states-but-insert "w" 'evil-shift-right)
    (set-in-all-evil-states-but-insert "q" 'evil-shift-left)

(set-in-all-evil-states-but-insert "f" 'delete-backward-char)
    (set-in-all-evil-states-but-insert "F" 'delete-forward-char)

(define-key evil-motion-state-map "b" 'switch-to-buffer)
    (define-key evil-motion-state-map "B" 'find-file)
    Last edited by lalop (16-May-2013 19:42:08)

Strange that you lost the will with Dvorak, but kept on going with Colemak, which you describe learning as hellish!  But hey, I remember the first few weeks learning to touch type, and it wasn't that nice.  It certainly teaches you patience, that is, if you don't quit early.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

About that Dvorak try, Colemak was a lot easier to get a hang of, but still hellish :P

I have tried using vim, but I never liked it. Installing Evil and colemak-evil is the project for tonight. Let's hope it won't screw with my Prelude installation... Thanks for the tip!

Okay, the movement keys on neiu is awesome. This is going to need some getting used to, but I actually like this. I'll try this for some time and see if it works...

Thank you very much!

Last edited by henrixh (16-May-2013 18:19:14)

Did you notice my XKB Extend additions? You can have the UNEI navigation not only in some apps but practically everywhere!

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***