• You are not logged in.

Error clusters, typewriters and accuracy

• Started by glauber
    • 7 Replies:

Thanks in great part to help from the users in this forum, i'm progressing. I'm at about 50 wpm now, with accuracy rate averaging just short of 98%. Amphetype has been a great help (https://code.google.com/p/amphetype/) by allowing me to work on accuracy and presenting my progression graphically. I loaded it with a copy of the King James Bible from Gutenberg, edited to remove the verse numbers. That has been providing endless typing fun.

I have been thinking about the differences between typing on a computer or typewriter. On a typewriter, one had to aim for almost perfect accuracy, because correcting mistakes was slow and ugly (unless you had lift-off tape, but that came late in the game).

Younger readers may want to refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typewriter :-)

On a computer, on the other hand, correcting is easy and consequence free. On one hand, this means that we can aim at higher typing speeds and tolerate the occasional error here and there. On the other hand, this can go too far.

I've been noticing in my practice that typing errors often come in clusters. That is, i'm happily typing away, error free, and suddenly i hit the wrong key. Then a quick backspace and even more quickly... another wrong key. Backspace, correct, type a couple of correct keys, then another mistake, correction, mistake, correction, mistake. I think the shock of seeing the screen turn black on Amphetype or red, or whatever way the typing software screams at you: "ERROR! ERROR! AHOOGA! AHOOGA! AHOOGA!"  creates an unstable situation that favors a cascade of errors.

On a typewriter, you had to stop, move the paper, reach for the eraser, etc, then back to the task. I think this natural forced pause had the effect of preventing the error cascade.

I'm going to see if i can train myself to stop for a couple of seconds after correcting a mistake.

I turned the error color of Amphetype to a grey as I couldn't stand the visual blaring. But I agree that stopping yourself at every error, to think it through, could be a useful exercise.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

When your pace is broken, I find that part of you is still typing where you're supposed to be rather than where you're actually at, which leads to more errors. 

As for amphetype, I set the color to white text on black background, with the error background a dark-red shade.  As you say, no need to have the software scream at you.

Last edited by lalop (29-Jun-2013 03:27:27)

Speed of 50wpm is good for most practical cases. Most of the time we just mindlessly stare at the screen anyway.

Further than that, and typing become a sport. For fastest speed for example in running, you must do it right from the start, i.e. 100% accuracy.

We often press Backspace fast so we can make errors even faster, periodically and systematically. After a short while the wrong typing experience imprints into our muscle memory.

Since our speed is usually much higher than necessary, accuracy of 100% should be the goal instead.

Last edited by Tony_VN (29-Jun-2013 03:43:20)

Klavaro has a mode where you can type through your errors.  It feels a little weird at first, but saves you from the chaos that can ensue from backspacing.

I experience the error cascades too.  There's argument that you can spot and edit mistakes early and correct them as you touch type, but I think it's also fine to spit out all you want to write; and then do your corrections.  Stopping mid flow can break your concentration.

I remember using a type writer, and having to start afresh if I created X amount of errors.  How hideous that was.  I can still feel the deadened pain in my finger tips.  But you'd normally get to the end, then apply whitener, then try and realign your paper, and type over your mistakes - and it never quite worked or lined up properly.

Last edited by pinkyache (03-Jul-2013 13:09:12)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

lalop said:

When your pace is broken, I find that part of you is still typing where you're supposed to be rather than where you're actually at, which leads to more errors. 

As for amphetype, I set the color to white text on black background, with the error background a dark-red shade.  As you say, no need to have the software scream at you.

Agreed. Also, good tip about changing the colors, thanks!

Tony_VN said:

Speed of 50wpm is good for most practical cases. Most of the time we just mindlessly stare at the screen anyway.

Further than that, and typing become a sport. For fastest speed for example in running, you must do it right from the start, i.e. 100% accuracy.

We often press Backspace fast so we can make errors even faster, periodically and systematically. After a short while the wrong typing experience imprints into our muscle memory.

Since our speed is usually much higher than necessary, accuracy of 100% should be the goal instead.

I agree with you. It's just being surprisingly difficult for me to be error free. I think it has to do with breaking out of old patterns, muscle memory and overuse of the backspace key.

On a good day now, i can do 50 wpm with 100% accuracy on Amphetype, but it's amazing how all it takes is one error, and everything comes down like a house of cards. To stay error free, i have to force myself to go slower; this is stressful, but i assume it will get easier with some more practice.

The difference in speed between going very slow with no mistakes and going fast with lots of backspacing and correcting, is not very large. I can go about 58 wpm in the "full speed with errors" mode, versus 50 wpm with no errors.

It's also worth mentioning that wpm stats can vary widely, for me, depending on what program or web site i'm using. I've been using Amphetype with the King James Bible loaded, exclusively.