• You are not logged in.

Another convert to Colemak

• Started by Taybabie
    • 6 Replies:

Hi. Just some background here. I've been typing on QWERTY since freshman year in highschool back in the mid 80's. I've never been able to get any speed at it. I've always been about 35 to 40 words per minute(with a lot of backspacing). I love to write but I can seem to get much into the computer.  Also in highschool I was diagnosed with juvenille arthritis in my right wrist and also contracted Rheumatic fever mostly on the right side of my body.

Reasons for not a fast typing speeds:
    * can't stand mistakes so I'm always backspacing
    * I've short pinkies; they come to just under the last knuckle of my ring finger (so of course reaching for the backspace I would have to move my right hand total off the keys then look to make sure that my right hand was back in place)
    * with all of the stretching of my right hand I would get cramps in my hand from the ring finger to pinky.
    * I work on a farm and clean a lot of stalls. My shoulders have more muscle than they did before so once my hands start cramping so do my elbows, wrists and shoulders. It's like a major chain reaction.

Well, I was surfing the web thinking about how much more comfortable the keyboards were when I learned to type. One was an old electric manual return typewriter in highschool and the other as an IBM keyboard in college. I came across an IBM keyboard that had been recapped for Dvarok and began to read up on it to see what it was. I had no clue at that time there was even such a thing as different keyboard layouts. The one thing that stood out was that Dvarok was suspose to provide less stress on your hand. I thought I would try it. I made some homemade keyboard lettering, made up a keyboard map so I could look at it and switched my language on my windows 8 laptop (I use a separate keyboard to type one my fingers fumble all over themselves on my laptop. I don't know why but they do. Maybe the flat keys?).

So I began to type(using lesson software). It was great no ache at all in my left hand. But I still got cramping in my right one after awhile. With in the week of trying to learn Dvarok I started out being able to type for about 30 minutes straight with out my hand starting to cramp. (This was great; 20 minutes of straigh typing on QWERTY was all I could have done before the cramps started) But by day 5, my right hand was begining to cramp in just under 10 mins. This wasn't going to work. I had thought about going back but when I was looking up Dvarok, Colemak kept popping up. Remembering this I looked up information on it. And all the information just blew me away - moving the backspace to capslock, even more balanced hands and all of the other important information inbetween.

Any way two weeks ago I remapped my backspace/capslock, redid (this time) a masking tape version of my keyboard letters, and a new keyboard chart. I began my training. This time not as gunho, I tried 20 minutes of straight typing 5 or 6 times in a day. I went through the stupid faze; between QWERTY, Dvarok, and Colemak my fingers and brain couldn't remember where they belonged. I'm slowly approaching the 'yes I am getting this' moment. I took a typing test last night and my results were 16 wpm no errors. I don't think that is to bad. It's half the speed I had before. I'll never win any typing records but I'm hoping that I will get better.

I'll finishing this up by saying, my letters (all of them, I can't stand to feel only some of them changed) are now are still homemade but made with lamanated paper and attached with permanate double sided tape. I'm still doing tutorials. My hands aren't cramping. Well lets put it this way my shoulders cramp way before anything else (30 to 40 minutes in). I am thinking about removing the QWERTY keyboard from my lap top totally. Windows 8 wants to always start up with the QWERTY keyboard so my password is allways wrong. I just need to find some nicer stickers for my gateway laptop, before I totally get rid of QWERTY. I've still some major issues to relearn. My fingers want the S and R keys to be switched. The E, I, and O keys sometimes get boggled. On some of the keys one hand is faster than the other one so letters gte switched. But these I feel will be fixed with more drills.

I do think I am going to have to invest in a mechanical keyboard, because the Colemak layout doesn't do anything for the spongy feeling of my HP keyboard. *Squish, Squish*

PS. I typed this with Colemak.

The best of luck with trying to relearn how to type. It seems like a lot of people go through the same stages here trying dvorak first and then going for colemak anyways.

Keep us updated!
    Cheers,

It sounds like you're making decent progress. Since you seem to be new to touchtyping, some immediate advice:

1. Don't take the "home row" literally.  Usually people find they're most comfortable floating their index and ring between the home and top row.  Because of float, it shouldn't matter exactly where your pinkies are.  You'll get more comfortable floating with experience.

2. Similarly, you don't have to adopt the canonical touch-typing style.  I use my ring finger a lot where you're "supposed" to use the pinkie, and it sounds like that might be good for you too.

3. We don't really recommend relabeling the keys.  It promotes bad habits at best and is ultimately irrelevant to touchtyping. Plus, having QWERTY keys is useful in case you're forced to use that layout for some reason.   Instead, it's commonly recommended to just paste the chart near the screen.

4. After you backspace, pause for a little while.

Now, some more advanced advice for later down the road:

1. Ultimately, the best way to improve ergonomics is to get an ergonomic keyboard.  Hoping someone else speaks up on this, since I don't really know anything about those.

2. Depending on your typing habits, you may be interested in Dreymar's wide/angle mods.  The wide mod can also be paired with using AltGr as a modifier (or you can use caps as a modifier once you don't need the backspace so much), allowing you to put many extra keys in easy reach while barely having to move your hands.  Plus shorter distance to Enter.

3. vim (or vimlike setups like evil) is generally considered very ergonomic, since it allows you to do most things without straying much from the homerow or hitting too many modifiers.  In the case of colemak, several of us remap the defaults (since the hjkl have to go anyway) leading to colemak.vim/colemak-evil.

1. You may consider to buy a mechanical keyboard with brown switches. Since each key of that keyboard requires only 45cN instead of 60cN of normal keyboards, your fingers don't have to press hard.

2. We don't recommend stickers. It only reaffirms your obsolette need to look at keyboard while typing. Be brave and look at a screenshot of the layout instead.

3. Switching from Dvorak makes the confusion triple harder on your brain. There will be no outside symptoms except very high error rate. Be patient, and don't expect quick results too fast.

4. RS and EIO confusion has also happened on my switching experience too. You will get past it in a month or so. Then you may get confused with PG instead :-)

Not sure how much you can make use of your pinkies.  I have experimented in not using them at all, despite slowing me down, I think I could get used to it.  If you want to do ten finger typing: you probably want to shy away from Dvorak, to avoid pinky burden.

The Workman layout seems to shun the pinkies and favours index and middle fingers, I'll just put that out there for others (you might not want to hop layouts yet again).  I can't vouch for the layout but it takes a slightly different approach.

Taybabie:
    > Remembering this I looked up information on it. And all the information just blew me away - moving the backspace to capslock, even more balanced hands and all of the other important information inbetween.

Would you care to elaborate?

Last edited by pinkyache (23-Jul-2013 11:09:04)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

koekjestrommel1 : Thanks for your encouragement.

lalop : all of your advise is great. I would be interested in  Dreymar's wide/angle mods if I had a keyboard  that would use it, but my bottom row only holds 10 keys besides the shifts.

Tony_VN: I am looking for one. I've a used computer store in the area I called. The man I talked to hinted that they might have a few instock, used for a reasonable price.

lalop & Tony_VN: I took your suggestions about removing the stickers on my keyboard. The stickers that I want to find for my laptop are for the rest of my family; incase they decide to use the only adult laptop in the house. They are all hunt and peckers.

pinkyache: I've use of my pinkies they just began to cramp after a few minutes of typing. I did find out something this week. I read about a woman's hand cramping and her making fingerless gloves which stop it. I knitted me a pair they stop the cramping now I can type for a while until muscle fatige comes into play.
    The other items were the PKL so I can take it to the computer with the printer in the house. Keeping most of the short cuts where they usally are. (I knew that I used them to some extent. But I didn't really know how often I used them until I began to learn a new keyboard.) And only having to relearn 17 keys. (I thought this shouldn't take long. *snort* thought wrong.)

wide mod can be used on an ansi keyboard (mainly at the cost of a moved quotation mark):

BOPkhel.png

so can angle mod, but it would lead to the z being moved to the other side.

Last edited by lalop (25-Jul-2013 18:47:53)