• You are not logged in.

High Variance WPM

• Started by Twoddle
    • 5 Replies:

Been using Colemak for 50 days now and slowly approaching my old QWERTY wpm of around 60-65 wpm. However the variance of my Colemak wpm does vary quite a bit ranging from 63 wpm which I just did on Amphetype, down to the mid 40s sometimes even on relatively easy text. The slow speeds seem to result from tiredness or trying to push it to the next level which is surely required to get faster even at the expense of some accuracy?

Then after a resting period or sleep and going back that speed I tried to attain before sometimes just magically happens without me even realizing and it's quite a nice feeling. Sometimes you are in the zone and your fingers are hitting all the right keys dead centre :).

That is why Amphetype/Typeracer/Typing Tutors usually calculate and show us the average speed.

Ideally if our accuracy were 100%, our typing speed would fluctuate much less.

And I thought it was only me. Usually the first run I do is the fastest and with the least errors. After that I just end up trying faster and faster, doing more and more mistakes. I would advise you to stop intense practising after ~60 wpm which is a comfortable thinking speed. Speed will steadily increase from normal work flow so you needn't worry. Overdoing will only lead to wrist pain, especially at high speeds.

Posted without the aid of a rodent.

I remember when I was learning to touch type (Dvorak), my WPM was up and down.  Sometimes I was in the zone and I was gliding for hours at a time.  Then the following day, I'd discover I could barely type.   I'd most probably strained and tired out the fingers.  It's easy to over do those initial practice sessions.  The drudgery can be surprisingly addictive...

Last edited by pinkyache (31-Jul-2013 18:16:23)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Same here, depending on my mood and how tired I am I type between 50 and 70 WPM. The only thing I try is not to think about it and normally that works pretty well. It's too late to try it now, but I guess you also fluctuate in Qwerty quite a bit without noticing. But since you're so focussed on typing quickly now, you notice it way more quickly.

Maybe the reason is the sun and the moon. I suddenly notice that their appearances also fluctuate so much during the day, they certainly affect our typing mood.