• You are not logged in.

Typing 'hte' instead of 'the'

• Started by Twoddle
    • 5 Replies:

I was making a similar mistake on the QWERTY layout except I was typing 'teh' for 'the'. Now that I'm almost at my max speed on Colemak I've only just started to type 'hte' for 'the' once in a while.

Very strange.

As you learn to type words and elements efficiently, some mistakes may creep in. The way to combat this I think is by repeating the troublesome elements over and over until you've eradicated the wrong learning.

So make a word list for Amphetype consisting of 'the them there these' etc and give it some spins, using high accuracy and building up speed.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

As you gain confidence in your typing, you tend to get sloppier. Always stay focused. I remember an accomplished typist saying that he always thought of each letter he was typing.

Last edited by spremino (02-Oct-2013 15:19:07)

Dvorak typist here.  Please take my comments with a grain of salt.

By typing a few thousand the/they/them/these/them, hte left hand will type T before hte right hand types H.

Last edited by Tony_VN (03-Oct-2013 04:20:35)

I'd rather not think about what I'm typing!  And that's the nice thing about being able to touch type, it just becomes a motor skill.  I think jumbling up letters is a natural consequence of faster typing.  I used to do the same thing even when hunt and pecking under Qwerty.  Perhaps you can train out the errors, but they don't happen all that often, for me anyway they are teh exception.

Edit: I didn't intend to slip that teh in there!  As an aside, there's that interesting phenenoma where if you keep the lead and trailing character, you can mix up the letters inside a word and still be able to read them.  It's probably why mistakes are so hard to find and correct.   Your mind just glosses over the errors.

Last edited by pinkyache (04-Oct-2013 11:30:51)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

It does depend, as davkol says. Some rubber domes are soft and yet distinct while others feel like they need a lot of force and then suddenly send your poor fingertip hurtling to its doom. I like some chiclet boards that feel exact enough that you don't need much force to know what's going on.

Last edited by Sumeraxe (19-Feb-2015 11:23:25)