• You are not logged in.

Cold Turkey, Started Using Colemak 4 hours ago

• Started by MaxGrit
    • 7 Replies:

Took my mechanical keyboard apart for cleaning. Was reassembling the keys and somehow I got the idea (it came out of nowhere) to put keyboard back together using Colemak layout. I have heard of Colemak before but was too lazy to learn it.  I thought it would be fun to finally try Colemak, might as well since I can put the keys back any way I want.

Was using QWERTY ~15 yrs.

Took me 1 hour to put keys back.

To learn: Tipp10 is good! I touchtyped this entire post after ~1.5 hours of lessons.

The trick is to turn off screen keyboard/finger guide after each new lesson. That gets you use to key placement using muscle memory only (no visual cheat sheet makes M.M. learning a lot faster).

5 min per lesson. I did the first 7 lessons and repeated the first lessons 4 times. Took a lot of breaks periods between lessons.

I still have a lot of lessons left to do but I am very tired now so accuraccy is really bad now compared to earlier.

Too bad I don't have the bumps in home row for my index fingers anymore. Makes it a bit harder to touch type due to uncertain hand positioning in some cases.

Last edited by MaxGrit (24-Sep-2013 02:34:01)

D1

Did a couple more test, 14-15 WPM consistently. Currently 6 hours in.

Last edited by MaxGrit (24-Sep-2013 03:07:51)

When you know layout by heart, you can put the keys back. When you touch type, you need the bumps in homerow more than anything.

Another alternative is that you can use a knife and carve a small line in the T and N key so that your index finger know where to stand. Or you may use 502 glue to make a small bump on these keys.

That's what I and Dreymar did when we started to learn Colemak.

Last edited by Tony_VN (24-Sep-2013 03:48:39)
    Tony_VN said:

When you know layout by heart, you can put the keys back. When you touch type, you need the bumps in homerow more than anything.

Another alternative is that you can use a knife and carve a small line in the T and N key so that your index finger know where to stand. Or you may use 502 glue to make a small bump on these keys.

That's what I did when I started to learn Colemak.

Good idea. I'm going to swap those keys now since I don't look at my keyboard to type now anyways.

Last edited by MaxGrit (24-Sep-2013 03:43:56)

I swapped the UNEI block for the arrow keys. There's a homing bump on one of them, and it looks good with my Extend mappings! :)

The left hand is no problem for me. There's the F bump and the closeness to the modifier keys to keep me where I should be.

Last edited by DreymaR (24-Sep-2013 14:33:23)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Wordt niet makkelijk. Succes!

15_77_0_0_15_0_10.09_137212_152610

26_128_0_0_23_0_31.16_83930_121917

while drunk