• You are not logged in.

Around 10 months on Colemak

• Started by sand
    • 7 Replies:

I've been using Colemak since around mid last year.

My learning experience was about 3 days straight (10-12 hours /day) after that, I could type in Colemak, albeit a bit slowly.

Within 2 months I was back to my normal typing speed.

I'd really like Backspace to be remapped - preferably to nothing. That way, I'll learn to use CAPS as backspace. At present, I only use CAPS if I think about it.

Been good. I couldn't touch type on QWERTY before.

I have used Colemak with Fedora 5, OpenSUSE 10.1, Ubuntu 6.10 and Ubuntu 7.04

I would really like a split grid keyboard - think TypeMatrix split in half. If anyone knows of a soft touch grid keyboard that's programmable (to make setting layout easy), please let me know!

Thanks Shai!

- sand

After 10 months, you still haven't gotten used to Caps being used as backspace? That's quite interesting. I guess in my case I forced myself to use it when I would chat on MSN, AIM, Yahoo, etc., and it really paid off.

So what exactly is your typing speed now?

Caps being backspace is the first thing I miss when using QWERTY. Hardly even realize how much I use it (I make a lot of mistakes) until using a QWERTY keyboard.

I need to set up colemak for my console, I have been lazy. I don't use the console much but it's a bit of a headache when I do since I have forgotten the QWERTY layout (I have stickers on my keys).

when I have rebooted or fkeys has bombed once. 

not having the Caps Lock as a back space gives me withdrawal symptoms!

I recently came across the Datadesk SmartBoard. I haven't used it, but it looks like it is well thought out. I just wish it had more keys for the thumbs.

elusivespoon said:

I recently came across the Datadesk SmartBoard. I haven't used it, but it looks like it is well thought out. I just wish it had more keys for the thumbs.

I have the Microsoft - Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, what's the difference besides the price?

Just look at the page linked to, it's right there. Salient points:

Patented "fanning" key layout matches the layout of your hand
    20% smaller footprint than most other split keyboards
    Patented variable width keys for more efficient typing
    High-quality positive feedback mechanical key switches

I also see 15 F-keys, but on the other hand the PrtSc–Break key block merged into the Num block (with RightShift) which I don't like so much even if those are oddball keys nowadays: I use them for shortcuts. It's a minor thing though.

Since I've taken to modding keyboards for Colemak I'm not a fan of this keyboards' individually shaped keys from that particular perspective. You cannot build the SmartBoard into a physical Colemak except by relabeling the keys (using stickers for instance). From an ergonomic point of view however, this board should be well ahead of the Microsoft Natural which keeps the stupid key row staggering stemming from the days of mechanical typewriters.

It's a very good board to type on from the looks of it, but somewhat lacking in completeness and also expensive of course.

Last edited by DreymaR (01-Jun-2007 23:06:31)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I got used to the caps backspace the first day! I love it!