• You are not logged in.

Does the h-e discomfort go away?

• Started by yts
    • 6 Replies:

Hey everyone,

This is my third day on colemak, and I'd say it's going pretty well so far. I can type with 25 wpm with 98% accuracy, coming from qwerty on which I can type ~65. The reason for my switch was due to the fact that qwerty was designed to be slow, and I seriously dislike the idea of using it just because it's become the standard. Also, after typing for an extended period of time my fingers don't feel so great, and that can't be a good thing!

I know the h-e topic has been discussed before (that it's a common combination but requires a "split" of the fingers), but it seems that people fall into two categories: Those that are bothered by it, and those that never saw it as a problem.

So here's my question: Is there anyone here who had this problem starting off, but no longer do? After three days I have obvious discomfort in the 'bases' of my middle and pointer fingers, and I just can't go on if this will persist :( Can it be that my fingers just aren't right for colemak, or is this normal?

Thanks for your help!

I have never had an issue with the h-e, so really can't respond about the discomfort and whether it goes away; But, in case you missed it the h-e was the major reason the "Workman" layout was created.  It seems that the basic idea behind that layout is to minimize horizontal hand motion.

So depending on what other people have to say about the h-e you might want to check it out.

Thanks for your response.

I have seen the workman layout, and it looks promising, but I wanted to try something which is more tried and tested. People have been using colemak for years and are still happy, but workman's only been around for 2 years besides for the fact that the founder uses a matrix keyboard.

Your suggestion is exactly what I had in mind (or maybe programmer's dvorak) in the event that I'm not destined for colemak.

It depends on how your fingers move.

If you rest your palm on a fixed surface and twist your index finger to reach H, you are in trouble.

If you move your index finger horizontally instead of twisting it, you're fine.

A mechanical keyboard will alleviate some of the pain.

Last edited by Tony_VN (22-Nov-2013 05:25:09)

It is my opinion that you'll get used to it with no complications. I too was worried about the "t-h-e" issue because I was seriously considering Workman & Norman over Colemak. When you first start out typing colemak you're usually slow; this is what I see as a contributing factor to discomfort when typing "TH". When typing slow, your fingers are slowly adjusting to the motion of the hand/finger(s) movement and the keys, and in time as you develop a faster reflex, the keys becomes easier to reach/press because your hand will naturally use the correct amount of muscles to reach those keys at the right amount of speed and wrist movement. The first week or two it'll take some getting used to. It is apparent that the "H" key wasn't switch in Colemak from qwerty, thus this is what I see as a no issue to most. I'm at one month and I see no serious complaints about the colemak layout. I was a qwerty typer 90+ wpm avg and developed a pain in my right wrist; Sure I miss my qwerty speed but I would never trade it over my 54 wpm colemak, even If I don't get any faster. This is saying a lot; I actually enjoy typing in Colemak (using alternating thumbs). Don't give up and reach week 3 and 4 and you'll be amaze that you will be able to type Colemak without much thinking.

Sorry for the delay on my end.

You guys are probably right. Due to my amateurism of this layout, my hands haven't been in proper position. My wrists have been wresting on my laptop, unlike the in-air position they're supposed to be in. Working on fixing this ;)

A mechanical keyboard would probably help me, but as of now I'm usually traveling around on my laptop. 

Thanks for the encouragement, Steve. I'll try to post here with updates!

Last edited by yts (24-Nov-2013 01:51:54)

Yes, it'll get all peachy. You should never ever judge a layout after its effect after only a few weeks (or days!).

You don't have to stay in-air all the time, although that's most effective if you're typing at full speed. I vary a bit and that in itself is a good thing. But I'm never glued to the keyboard.

Last edited by DreymaR (25-Nov-2013 09:59:18)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***