• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Paging Dreymar -colemak Linux (X), Windows (KVM) and Linux (no X) ?

Paging Dreymar -colemak Linux (X), Windows (KVM) and Linux (no X) ?

• Started by pieter
    • 3 Replies:

Hi Dreymar (or other gurus!)

I'm looking for the lowest level linux keyboard remapping, so that I can use the same keyboard
    - in my regular Linux sessions (that is: linux, plus X)
    - in my virtual machines (used to run Windows, but also for high security linux: a linux session that is isolated from the main system)
    - and in my x-less linux sessions (sometimes I don't log into X, but start up my machine without starting X).

So, I want to remap the keyboard at the lowest level, in linux itself and not in X.  xmodmap and xkb remap in X, or don't they? 

Is loadkeys a solution?   http://linux.die.net/man/1/loadkeys   or setkeycodes ?     If I am wrong here, please tell me. I've done my share of reading & researching, but if I've missed the right pages, please point me to those!

Thanks.

I have no idea. The lowest level I'd consider would be the keycodes component of XKB, where the numeric keycodes are mapped to aliases like <AC03> etc. But that's in X afaik.

Let us know if you learn anything interesting!

Last edited by DreymaR (04-Dec-2013 12:25:37)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

OK, no problem & thanks for the reaction. I'll try it out and post my results, after the weekend.

Pystromo is an interesting tool! It's mainly used for remapping permanently or by-application (with the monitor). I wonder if it could easily be modified to respond to certain key presses instead? Say, holding down Caps activates one mapping file; holding down RAlt+Caps another. That'd open the possibility of multi-layer Extend mapping functionality!

Last edited by DreymaR (05-Dec-2013 11:00:22)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • Technical
      • Paging Dreymar -colemak Linux (X), Windows (KVM) and Linux (no X) ?