• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • How fast can you type? Post your highscores!

How fast can you type? Post your highscores!

• Started by shaaniqbal
  • 36 Replies:

Haven't seen a thread like this, so decided to start it! Post your score in wpm or cpm, the websites you used to test, the layout(s) you use and optionally the keyboard you use. I'm currently using an island style flat keys HP laptop keyboard and use QWERTY, although I'm also able to type with Dvorak but much slower.

Typeracer:
High score: 151wpm
Full average: 110wpm
Average over last 10: 130wpm
Layout: QWERTY

10 Fast Fingers:
High score: 159 wpm/797 cpm
I tend to average 135-145wpm.
Layout: QWERTY
159_797_0_0_151_1_99.94_60_106529

10 Fast Fingers:
High score: 129 wpm/647 cpm
Tend to average 105-115 wpm
Layout: Dvorak

http://typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu/
High score: 151 wpm/756 cpm

Hi-Games.net highscore: 111wpm over 2 minutes

Typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php?
High score: 132 wpm

Last edited by shaaniqbal (12-Apr-2014 19:13:20)

T9-QWERTY - my port of T9 to the PC (a work in progress); T9-MOUSE - COMING SOON
Keyboard Shorthand

What a show off!

Dvorak on Thinkpad T500 (laptop):

87wpm on 10fast fingers

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Both of you are showoffs,
71_362_0_0_66_1_87.9_12687_104875
Colemak on ErgoDox

What ksm123 said. ;)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Cause everyone knows I'm number one:
1_wpm_score_DH.png

* This is not my highest score.

Posted without the aid of a rodent.

Tablet and iPod tests:

iPod touch 5th Gen:
10FF - thumb typing, portrait: 78 WPM, 422 keystrokes (391 correct, 31 wrong), 74 correct words, 7 wrong words

iPad Air:
10FF - touch typing, landscape: 138 WPM, 729 keystrokes (692 correct, 37 wrong), 133 correct words, 6 wrong words

iPad mini retina:
10FF - touch typing, landscape: 123 WPM, 643 keystrokes (614 correct, 29 wrong), 119 correct words, 6 wrong words
aoeu.eu - touch typing, landscape: 127 WPM, 635 CPM, 4 mistakes
10FF - thumb typing, portrait split keyboard: 86 WPM, 452 keystrokes (428 correct, 24 wrong), 82 correct words, 5 wrong words

Nexus 7 2013:
aoeu.eu - QWERTY thumb typing, Swiftkey portrait split keyboard: 74 WPM, 368 corrected CPM, 386 raw CPM, 4 mistakes
aoeu.eu - Dvorak thumb typing, Swiftkey portrait split keyboard: 51 WPM, 253 CPM, 277 raw CPM, 7 mistakes
Too small to touch type

T9-QWERTY - my port of T9 to the PC (a work in progress); T9-MOUSE - COMING SOON
Keyboard Shorthand

94 WPM on 10 fastfingers using colemak
60 WPM on mobile phone (jiayu G3) using qwerty

@lite246, are you strumming those WPMs on the iPads touch screen?  Blimey.

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

pinkyache said:

@lite246, are you strumming those WPMs on the iPads touch screen?  Blimey.

I am, yes. iOS's built in autocorrect helps.

New records -

Finally hit 160 WPM, using QWERTY on Microsoft Sidewinder X4 keyboard:

160_805_0_0_154_1_99.98_20_133211

iPod touch 5th Gen:
10FF - dual thumb typing, portrait: 80 WPM, 459 keystrokes (402 correct, 57 wrong), 80 correct words, 11 wrong words
10FF - right hand single thumb typing, portrait: 53 WPM, 297 keystrokes (267 correct, 30 wrong), 51 correct words, 6 wrong words

Keyboard Shorthand

170 WPM on Apple Wireless Bluetooth keyboard with QWERTY using shorthand for longer words:

170_860_0_0_159_2_99.98_17_95687

Keyboard Shorthand

The Apple Wireless keyboard is definitely my current favourite - its low travel and springy keys make for ridiculous burst speeds, not to mention how quiet and compact it is. Better than 100%: =D

172_864_0_0_167_1_100_2_91805

Keyboard Shorthand

180_918_0_0_167_3_100_1_87371

Keyboard Shorthand

I don't like 10 fast fingers, since the words it uses are mostly the same between tests.

The speeds are nevertheless crazy, I just hope you still have your real wrists when you grow old :).

Posted without the aid of a rodent.

vaskozl said:

I don't like 10 fast fingers, since the words it uses are mostly the same between tests.

True, but they're some of the most frequent words in English. I think they make up about 65% of all written material, so the faster you type them the better.

vaskozl said:

The speeds are nevertheless crazy, I just hope you still have your real wrists when you grow old :).

Thanks. 167 WPM is my record without shorthand, for higher speeds I've begun using shorthand so my fingers aren't actually physically going much faster.

Keyboard Shorthand

How are you doing the shorthand? and can you give an example of the keys you press to make those happen? I'm curious about trying to incorporate shorthand but have been having trouble making it feel natural.

jsmithy said:

How are you doing the shorthand? and can you give an example of the keys you press to make those happen? I'm curious about trying to incorporate shorthand but have been having trouble making it feel natural.

Practice makes perfect. I've started a new thread.

Keyboard Shorthand

Just got 172 WPM on 10FastFingers, without shorthand. Wow. Felt like I had robotic hands, they were just moving by themselves. It was so effortless. If only I could be in that focused state all the time. I plan to work on just practicing shorthand from now onwards.

172_881_0_0_167_4_99.98_21_122455

hDB2ACF55

Keyboard Shorthand

172wpm without shorthand? Wow, I think maybe you're the fastest or almost on geekhack now?

Mine was 104 on qwerty and 108 on colemak and increasing (10FF).

I emailed Mark Kislingbury, the Guinness World Record holder for speed and asked him to take the 10FF test (with his steno machine). He said he got 183 wpm, 0 wrong words, better than 99.99%, position 8. He said he'll try it some more though. Wonder if he'll beat Sean Wrona (211 wpm).

Comments:

"couple things:

1) can't write as fast as usually do in court reporting because they are just discrete words, without sentences in normal order.
2) the line changes position and throws off my eye, so I have to stop to find my place every time the line moves."

Keyboard Shorthand

If he's using steno (and it works on 10ff) he should be able to beat Sean Wrona as the max speed of a good steno user should be in the 200-350 range.

I'm curious Shaaniqbal, when you type do you use any alternative fingerings or other techniques? When finding websites about techniques all they ever do is repeat the mantra about home row and using all your fingers.  Most people are well past that, and people like you are well past most people that are past that ;)

So is any of your speed a product of your typing style (which you would be willing to share)? or are you mostly just crazy fast fingers?

I think alternation between speed and accuracy training is the most effective. I don't see how focus on speed could help your accuracy per se though? What speed focus could accomplish is to break past some hangups that might cause tension – which again could lead to inaccuracy as well. Indeed, one should train both I think.

Backspacing the whole word (Ctrl+Back) whenever you make a mistake may be a good idea.

Last edited by DreymaR (10-Mar-2014 09:56:28)

I see. That makes sense.

When I make an error on the piano, I go back and overtrain that passage. I make sure to start well before the problem occurs and end a little after it's over to make sure I get the flow right, and repeat the phrase without error at least five times so the error is unlearned and the correct sequence learned well; if necessary I reduce speed at first and then train up to full speed again. I like the idea of that transferred to typing practice too, which is why I buy into the idea of backspacing the whole word.

I think Amphetype has an option of making lessons from the mistakes you just made, but I haven't tried that "on the fly" while typing texts because it gets too annoying for my tastes. It's nice to go back every now and then and review the most problematic words though.

I chanced upon Steve Yegge's "Programming's Dirtiest Little Secret" referring to a similar method (search for "Learning Licks"). 

Steve Yegge said:

You start with a passage. Anything at all. At first it'll just be a single note. Later it'll become a few notes, a phrase, a measure, a couple of measures. Anything you're having trouble with and you want to master.

First you play the lick as fast as possible. You don't care about making mistakes! The goal of this phase is to loosen your fingers up. You want them to know what raw speed feels like. The wind should be rushing through their fingery hair! Yuck!

Next you play it as slow as necessary. In this pass you should use proper technique. That basically means "as proper as you can", because state-of-the-art technique is (a) constantly evolving and (b) always somewhat personal. You pick any discipline, they've got schools of thought around technique. There's no right answer, because our bodies all work a little differently. You just have to pick the technique that you like best and try to do it right.

Finally, you play it "at speed". If you're practicing a musical instrument, you play it at the target tempo. You want your fingers to feel musical. Musicians generally agree that you don't want to make mistakes in this phase, or you're just practicing your mistakes. But realistically, most musicians are probably willing to make a few minor sacrifices here in the third pass, as long as the music shines through beautifully....Let's call it 5 sacrifices a minute.

I'm not sure how well it translates to typing.  Unlike concert musicians, I doubt most typists are practicing the same passage over and over again!  Still, I thought the metaphor was interesting.

Licks are a bit special. As you say, they're a short passage that's repeated and it should often be played very fast. When I practice the piano there will be passages like that, but it's something else with the whole. "As fast as possible" usually doesn't lead anywhere good when applied to the whole piece, in my experience, at least not until it sits really well in the fingers.

That said, practicing a short passage like that is useful and can likely be translated to typing training. In amphetype I've done something like that with the most common words. It's fun and feels nice and useful to me. I'll set a high threshold both on speed and accuracy, make a lesson with for instance four repeats of three words at a time and let the fingers fly until I pass each test.

Last edited by DreymaR (03-Jun-2014 09:42:23)

I can average 160 wpm on typeracer, although haven't tried that site (10ff). Although am planning to, one of these days.

• Index
  • General
  • How fast can you type? Post your highscores!