• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Experiences
  • Cold turkey from Colemak ends after having to type 'starts'

Cold turkey from Colemak ends after having to type 'starts'

• Started by Dreyeth
    • 12 Replies:

I've found some stuff about the Colemak layout that are definitely (opinion),
    inferior to Dvorak, and thats when large strings (whole or almost whole words) of characters are entered by the same hand.

The bones in the hand fight against that causing fingers not to go down
    how you want them to, and in my opinion its the major fault of the layout.

Really no more then two maybe three letters should be typed by a single single hand in a row.

Colemak has done a really good job of putting good letter combos on the home row,
    and I think that good design decision actually backfires.

"starts" is especially hard to type with any speed and maintain accuracy,
    imho its un-natural to the bones in the hand, and causes major issues with
    some words, certain fingers pull on other fingers, when going down like
    you're middle finger pulls on the ring finger, how interconnected the fingers are
    makes any large string of characters typed by the same hand in the same spot
    a bad idea.

One thing I think Dvorak did very right was lay the keyboard out so its almost
    impossible for a large string of letters to end up on the same hand.

And contrary to most Dvorak users I actually think the 'L' is easier to hit with the
    pinky rather then the index finger on Colemak since most users hands are rotated a little bit in how they rest on a standard keyboard because of the width of their chest,  the index finger might actually be the hardest to reach the upper row.

ring finger = middle finger > pinky > index. # as far as ease of reaching upper row.

Thats just my two cents after, experimenting with the layout.

Last edited by Dreyeth (29-Jan-2014 09:13:04)

Sites: Gnolls.org, agenda21.us, pleasuredome.org.uk

That is very true with some of the issues I mentioned, I did think about them not being
    present on something besides the standard keyboard, something actually shaped well.

Pinkies are short but on a standard keyboard with a bad shape I actually think they're
    fairly good at hitting the upper row, actually better then the longer index finger.

Might just be years of typing dvorak training my right hand pinky to hit that upper row L key.

And years of spamming ice lance bound to the colemak/qwerty Q in world of warcraft,
    that has trained me to use my pinkies well. lol

Last edited by Dreyeth (29-Jan-2014 11:40:06)

Over that though, I think the main issue, Is that I just don't like long strings of
    letters typed with the same hand, I kinda have to roll my finger bones in a weird
    way to drop certain digits down, moving the bones of the hand out of the way,
    when typing a large string of letters on the home row with the same hand.
    typing the word 'starts' was the worst offender, and after typing dvorak for years,
    that has almost no more then 3 letters typed by the same hand at a time,
    I hated that.

Last edited by Dreyeth (29-Jan-2014 11:56:36)

typing dvorak comes so easy to me that after years of using it I might be blind to some
    of its defientcies since I can still type the hard parts of it without thinking.

In the end, I don't like too much same hand, I can't even think of a word typing in dvorak
    that types four characters or more in a row on the same hand, and I like it that way.

optimizing more for hand alteration rather then diagraph (but not excluding it) as well as just
    being a good layout with common keys on the home row has provided me with years of comfort while typing.

It seems to me that optimizing adjacent diagraphs on the same hand has less room for optimizing the total layout of all
    the keys while used, then basing the optimization on alteration, on alteration you can ensure
    that the total layout is more balanced, easy to use, and comfortable, rather than sacrificing layout parameters
    in making sure keys are laid out in easy near adjacent (diagraphs?).

When I type dvorak while I'm pressing the first key, my fingers are already moving to the third key I'm going to press,
    as my fingers are moving to the second key I'm going to press, and that just flows out nicely.

And I can't think of how diagraphs wouldn't but slow that down, since that is not possible as much typing (diagraphs?),
    especially dual diagraphs on the same hand like 'st' 'ar'.

I need to look that word up.

Last edited by Dreyeth (29-Jan-2014 12:21:08)

Three posts in thirty minutes? =O

I've been collecting data on the subject, as well as looking at some alternating layouts.  It's very interesting once we get past the n=1 case and start looking at those longer strings.  You may also be interested in the examples of same-hand strings in different layouts.

Re alternation vs roll speeds: apparently it's faster to mix them, at least on the level of trigraphs. 

Funny title, though.  For what it's worth, "starts" doesn't give me much trouble (though it's not easy, either).  I suspect that, as one gets more used to a layout's motions, it becomes more comfortable.  Colemak used to give me more issues back when I was starting out and held my fingers rather inflexibly, whereas now it feels more like floating and words like "starts" are mostly subtle motions.

Dreyeth said:

It seems to me that optimizing adjacent diagraphs on the same hand has less room for optimizing the total layout of all
    the keys while used, then basing the optimization on alteration, on alteration you can ensure
    that the total layout is more balanced, easy to use, and comfortable, rather than sacrificing layout parameters
    in making sure keys are laid out in easy near adjacent (diagraphs?).

Actually, from what little I've found out, alternation seems pretty constricting as well.  You only have a small number of letters you can place on the vowel-hand, and that leaves most of the other letters with barely enough space to put them on the other hand.  Same-finger is still a big deal, even with the vowels on the other hand, so some of the more common letters will, almost certainly, end up placed in hard bottom-row spots or top-row stretch positions (e.g. dvorak's f, l and w, HIEAQMTSRN's f and d).

Many of the more "modern" layouts, like colemak, avoid those positions, but at the cost of hand alternation.

Last edited by lalop (29-Jan-2014 18:27:51)

Oo, an eth Drey! :D

"The bones"? I suggest you learn a little more about your hands before making these statements, hehe. What would make same-hand sequences difficult is tension arising from the inability to relax your muscles between strokes, which in the worst case may lead to tendonitis (CTS).

I don't mind the word 'start' at all, but 'starts' starts to be unpleasant as you've noticed. However, there will be awkward words in any layout so that in itself isn't really a compelling argument. Indeed, Dvorak has more hand alternation which lets you rest one hand as you use the other – however, the rolls of Colemak can be mighty when they work for you and on a great many words they do. The best would be a roll of 2–3 keys and then alternation, as lalop found.

Many on these forums got it all wrong about the word 'digraphs'. Correctly used, that term describes two letters making one sound like for instance 'th' in English (instead of using the monograph 'þ' or 'ð' for that sound like they still do in Iceland). What most people here seem to think it means, is a bigram – any conjunction of two glyphs. So bi- and trigrams is what we really ought to be talking about on these forums!

'Dia' means something that's against something. Since we all like typing here we have no 'diagraphs' I guess? ;) Or maybe that's a good name for the glyphs on the most awkwardly placed keys.

Last edited by DreymaR (29-Jan-2014 18:23:42)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

If same word fingerings bother you then I would definitely stay with Dvorak over Colemak. Colemak is better than qwerty but partly because of the fact that it has kept the "a" in the same spot as qwerty it does have many of the same single hand drawbacks on the left hand.

This is the one handed stats for Colemak and Qwerty, https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php?id=1790.  I just ran it for Dvorak and got, 138 left handed words, and only 8 right handed words (significantly less than Colemak).

For Dvorak here were the longest one handed words I could find

'kookie', 'a.k.a.', 'yippee', 'yippie', 'exequy', 'upkeep', 'papaya', 'yuppie', 'opaque' (not exactly a most frequent words list)

This is more a random observation I've only just noticed than an attempt to reignite the argument:

Dreyeth said:

And contrary to most Dvorak users I actually think the 'L' is easier to hit with the
    pinky rather then the index finger on Colemak since most users hands are rotated a little bit in how they rest on a standard keyboard because of the width of their chest,  the index finger might actually be the hardest to reach the upper row.

ring finger = middle finger > pinky > index. # as far as ease of reaching upper row.

Even accepting that ranking, a comparison has to take into account what Dvorak in turn puts on those index spots, in this case g and f. 

Colemak:
    Letter  Frequency  Period
         j      0.16%     630  [QWERTY Y position]
         l      4.07%      25  [QWERTY U position]

Total      4.23%      24

Dvorak:
    Letter  Frequency  Period
         f      2.40%      42  [QWERTY Y position] 
         g      1.87%      53  [QWERTY U position]

Total      4.27%      23

Colemak actually seems an improvement in this respect, due to its avoidance of that even-harder-to-reach QWERTY-Y spot. 

(I'm going to b̶l̶a̶m̶e̶ attribute my not noticing this previously to lack of available data.)

True enough. The Colemak J spot is one of the worst, as it should be. Z and X can be grisly and B hard to reach, but can be remedied with an Angle mod if so desired.

Just as interesting though, is bi- and polygrams. I've heard that LS/SL is hard for dvorakers, and I can imagine a few others although I don't remember dvorak typing very well anymore. Well, there's always something isn't it; I don't know the bigram frequencies by heart. :)

It's funny to read this topic, since when I am starting to be a fluent Colemak user, "start" is the word I love to type. Your fingers start to dance with that word.

I start to feel sorry for the thread starter, since at starting to learn Colemak all difficulties are so enormous.

Way too many people start learning a layout and then get immensely frustrated less than a week in, it seems. If something really bothers you after a few months, it's time to start talking about it I guess, but a little patience is required for layout switching!

amen to that - changing layouts is ridiculously frustrating

i think you have to be a bit odd to see it through, the sort of person who might try and hold there breath for 5 minutes just to win a bet and end up in A&E with a heamotomal abdoma

Well I saw it through but then again I am a bit odd. Been a Colemak typist for nearly a year now averaging over 75wpm on a good day which is about 10wpm faster than what I reached on Qwerty.

• Index
      • Experiences
      • Cold turkey from Colemak ends after having to type 'starts'