• You are not logged in.

My learning strategy

• Started by bluemonk
    • 16 Replies:

Greetings, fellow Colemakers!

This will be my last writing on a QWERTY layout. From today, I'm 100% committed to learn Colemak and stick with it.

I don't touch type, and my current QWERTY speed is about 30 WPM, so nothing to be sorry to lose. I wanted to learn touch typing, and I wanted to improve my speed, so I told myself, what the heck, might as well start touch typing with a modern (and meaningful!) layout.

After weeks reading forums and stories of user experience, especially on this one, I came up with the following plan, which I hope will minimize the pain and maximize the results:

- Waited to be on holiday from work, so I can concentrate on learning Colemak without the stress of being less productive. From today, I will dedicate about 1 hour per day to Colemak, and I won't touch the computer for anything else. No moving between Colemak and QWERTY.
    - Bought a blank keyboard to avoid any temptation to hunt and peck
    - Printed the Colemak layout, to keep beside the screen for reference   
    - I will go for an hard complete transition. While I love the fantastic work done by our very own Dreymar on the Tarmak, I only have 2 weeks and I want to be sure I'll use them fully. Plus I feel I don't need a smoother transition, since I won't need to type QWERTY in the meantime.
    - Will use the following 2 tutorials:

https://www.sense-lang.org/typing/tutor … EN_colemak

and

http://www.keybr.com/html5

which are the only 2 online tutors I could find that support Colemak.

Well, what do you think? Feedbacks and suggestions are more than welcome!

In the meantime, wish me good luck!

The first two weeks of switching is hardest. Good luck!

Several websites for learning Colemak online
    https://www.learncolemak.com/lessons.php
    http://typeyourway.com/content/colemak

3 weeks in, but I was on holiday so I didn't practice much.

I'm mostly using keybr.com which in my opinion has excellent colemak exercises, really focusing on improving one's weaknesses. The rest is just normal typing, both at work and at home.

Switching cold turkey turned out to be not so painful, at least not as much I feared. Of course I still want to kill myself every time I have to write an email, but I'm motivated by thinking it's all good practice.

That been said, typing Colemak is AWESOME!! All newbie out there, wondering if it's worth switching: totally worth it! The satisfaction given by 2 and 3 finger rolls is unmatched. And the key disposition is so logical I keep asking why I tortured myself with QWERTY all these years :)

A little 10FF to keep track of progresses:

20_101_0_0_22_0_17.51_109532_132775

As mentioned, was 30 WPM before, so I can't complain :cool:

Excellent progress I see. Keep up the good work, and you will surpass your old Qwerty speed in no time!

Thanks Tony! Your support is extremely appreciated

I have yet to fully unleash the 3 finger 'ien' roll - but when I do I predict it will be mind-blowing..

Or it might simply go unnoticed :P

bph said:

i can also report having to get quite friendly with xkb

bph said:

will hopefully reap some efficient rewards

bph said:

aiming for a silky smooth typing experience by then

bph said:

ouch! got impatient and moved onto tarmak-4

bph said:

I may well switch back caps to ctrl rather than backspace when (if) I become proficient.

my god lalop - you have a lot of spare time? You'll have to help me compile my memoirs at some point

Slowly getting better:

24_120_0_0_25_0_26.04_101433_137148

Interesting enough, among all letters, the one l'm having the more problems with is the Colemak 's'. I believe it being so close to its qwerty position makes my muscle memory confused all the time. Yet I don't have the same problem with 'u'? Maybe because I wasn't touch typing the 'u' before. Odd :)

bluemonk said:

Interesting enough, among all letters, the one l'm having the more problems with is the Colemak 's'. I believe it being so close to its qwerty position makes my muscle memory confused all the time. Yet I don't have the same problem with 'u'? Maybe because I wasn't touch typing the 'u' before. Odd :)

Keep up the good progress! You can do it!

I still dip back to Qwerty for work related things quite frequently.  It's ... weird :D

F, G, and D are my current hated keys.  Although I'm doing better with D now.... but G still comes out wrong frequently, it's weird.

We'll not discuss the ; key.  As a coder, it being moved has caused much rage. (very strong muscle memory with that key, particularly ; then enter)

The one group of characters I really wanna get better at is "ion".  That just seems like such a cool combo to type.

Buuuuut, keep up the progress! Rah Rah Rah!!! You can do it!

bph said:

I have yet to fully unleash the 3 finger 'ien' roll - but when I do I predict it will be mind-blowing..

And also there is a possible 3-finger roll on the left hand - but it depends on how often you need to use the word "arse"!!  :-P

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

arstechnica

Time for an update :)

After a quite long plateau at around 30 WPM, I decided I should dedicate some time each day to do typing training. Well, the results were immediate. In just a couple of week, I went from the mentioned 30 WPM to

bluemonk 10ff result August 8th

Now I'm constantly around 50 WPM, which is way faster than my previous QWERTY speed.

Excellent! I think with practice over the next couple of weeks you could get to the 60-65 range with little stress. I found that the practice area on typeracer.com and aiming for 100% accuracy, regardless of speed, made a massive difference in a short space of time.

Keep going!

jkpuck said:

Excellent! I think with practice over the next couple of weeks you could get to the 60-65 range with little stress. I found that the practice area on typeracer.com and aiming for 100% accuracy, regardless of speed, made a massive difference in a short space of time.

I agree with you completely: focusing on accuracy is what makes the difference at the end.

It seems silly when you're a newbie and you just want to go fast, and every guru says you should concentrate on typing right rather than fast, but at the end that's exactly what gives you the improvements.

Something funny that happened to me: when I started slowing down and trying to be more accurate, I arrived at the end of the test thinking I would be around 40 WPM, and with great surprise I got my best scores (50+)! So it is true!

jkpuck said:

Keep going!

Thanks for the encouragement! I said it and I'll repeat again: the biggest added value of Colemak is its community!

some say to alternate between bouts of high-speed and high accuracy with a hope that eventually the twain shall meet

Some of my fastest speeds have been achieved when I'm trying to focus only on accuracy as well. I think that partly the relaxation aspect of not racing helps and you also avoid frustration of making mistakes.

The community here is great and very supportive. They gave me the encouragement to carry on despite my wife being very frustrated when I leave my colemak layout active on our PC at home :)