• You are not logged in.

Teen learning in the Easter holidays

• Started by domdomegg
    • 10 Replies:

Hi. I'm Adam, a 13 year old in London. I have just under 1 week to get used to Colemak, as school is approaching, but don't worry I will keep posting. I write a lot of essays and do quite a bit of gaming, as well as occasionally programming in lots of different languages (inc. HTML, JavaScript, CSS, Java (Android), C, C++ (iOS & Mac)). If I mess up spelling please don't be worried about telling me :)

I have been using QWERTY all my life so far. My average speed is about 80, high is anywhere between 90 (Sometimes!) to 100 (Extremely rare, only best case scenarios). Mainly because I did crap-tonnes of touch-typing at school.
    I started on Monday (14/Apr/2014), 2 days before this post. I've been doing around 1½ hours practise, about 30 mins just on the computer each day.
    I am using a Mac, running Mavericks (OS X 10.9), and have been using aTypeTrainer4Mac, version 2.2, combined with the cold turkey method.
    I am also using a PC, running Windows 7, and have been using TIPP10 Online, as well as cold turkey.
    I am using typeracer.com for speed tests.

Results:
    Colemak
    Day    WPM    Accuracy
    1    6    54.6
    2    9    88.7
    3    17    92.9
    4    21    93.4
    5    25    94.8
    6    34    90.2
    9    42    95.3

QWERTY
    Day    WPM    Accuracy
    1    82    96.3
    2    76    95.7
    3    62    95.5
    4    86    96.1
    5    55    94.3
    6    22    84.3
    9    72    86.8

Graph of typing speed

Will edit and add to this as days go on...may start a blog.

Day 5:
    QWERTY seems very unatural. Started using a PC so will probably be using the TIPP10 Online Typing Tutor.

Day 6:
    Realised TIPP10 tutor is useless. Can't believe how bad I am now at QWERTY! I think I might purposely spend some time using it, I don't want to get too bad at it! No idea how I managed to get 86 on Day 4.

Day 9:
    Sorry for not updating this for ages... Been away and busy. Can't be bothered to update chart, but will leave it there just because it looks kinda interesting. Might update in a while.

Last edited by domdomegg (23-Apr-2014 21:23:59)

Great to see your progress.

The journey is just starting.

Yeah if those figures are correct, then just wow.

It always amazes me that proficient Qwerty typists feel the need for change.  Can you outline your motivation?

Last edited by pinkyache (17-Apr-2014 09:53:11)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Welcome! I shall acquiesce to your request by informing you that it's 'QWERTY' not 'QUERTY'! ;D

If you're pressed for time, you might not do it all at once. See my sig topics about Tarmak. But you seem like a clever enough guy so maybe you'll do the whole nine yards thing. Also, the Tarmak for Mac isn't updated with the newest progress but that can be fixed of course.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Be prepared to watch your Qwerty speed tank.

@pinkyache, I was a proficient Qwerty touch typist, at around 80 wpm (I have to look at the keyboard now). My original motivation was curiosity, and I agreed with your confusion. But after a certain point with Colemak, I no longer agree.

So I want to say this for anyone trying to learn. Typing in Colemak is more pleasurable than Qwerty. At a certain point (around 45 wpm?), I was switching back and forth between Colemak (at work) and Qwerty (at home). Then I just thought, "screw it. why am i torturing myself?" and switched to Colemak everywhere.

When I type in Qwerty, it feels like my fingers are constantly bouncing around all three rows. >.<

I suppose you can compare this to VIM, if you use that. It's like asking a VIM user why he bothers navigating with HJKL when he already knows how to use the arrow keys.

Last edited by youBane (18-Apr-2014 17:29:24)

@Tony_VN
    Thanks ;)

@pinkyache
    I'm hoping it will pay off and allow me to type faster than my current QWERTY speed :)

@DreymaR
    Ah whoops, thanks for pointing that out. I've already learn the whole layout (ish). I'm using Colemak for everything. Finding the 'G', 'J', and 'N' keys difficult though.

@youBane
    I'm also using Colemak for everything except gaming (either because keybinds such as WASD cannot be changed and I can't be bothered). QWERTY does indeed feel very weird. And as for VIM - mainly because he wants something to do different as he can't get out of it ;P

Typing this I just realised how hard it is to type emoticons... hopefully I'll get used to it. Also, as you can see in results above, QWERTY has shot back up again (no idea why).

Typing this I just realised how hard it is to type emoticons

That's because you're doing it wrong.

^^ >.< lol

Actually, the only sidewise emoticon I use is :p because I don't know of an upside equivalent.

Last edited by youBane (21-Apr-2014 17:21:56)

As the J and G keys have *way* too good positions on QWERTY, they're bound to feel more awkward when they get what they deserve in Colemak. In fact, as I found in another thread (the new Tarmak thread by karl) the J is as rare as Z and only Q and X are less frequent among the letters in English!

The N you'll get used to quickly. The R and S may cause you some aggravation for a while but it'll sort itself soon enough.

R and S are the last keys that I still get tripped up on, because The Colemak S is so close to the Qwerty S.

You, and every other Colemak learner it seems. ;)

As usual, the fear of losing Qwerty skills is rearing its head. Sooner or later it will become a Cerberus which will haunt and bark for a while.

Colemaker-to-be, kill it before it can reshape and/or breed!

At the time when I reached 30wpm in Colemak, I dropped Qwerty once and for good.

Last edited by Tony_VN (23-Apr-2014 10:43:02)