• You are not logged in.

Thinking up a name for a typing program.

• Started by Twoddle
    • 6 Replies:

Having trouble thinking up a name for a touch typing project like Amphetype without it sounding too corny. Many programs out there take a racy adjective and put it before or after 'type' eg.

Accutype
    Fasttype
    Turbotype
    Nitrotype
    Typemaster

Putting 'Amphe' into google translate it apparently means 'home' in Latin but you have to go from Latin to English since 'home' in English comes out as 'domum' in Latin. I like the name Amphetype because it's unassuming. The only other reference I can find is 'amphetamine'.

So is it a matter of putting a Latin or Greek prefix in front of 'type'? I Like Acutype, Acutus means quick in Latin, Acu means needle and also looks a bit like accurate.

I want the program to be a simplified version of Amphetype. Drag and drop a book to import it with options to convert all the non-Ascii characters and maybe record typing speed and accuracy.

Last edited by Twoddle (26-Apr-2014 14:39:10)

SimpleType, TypeAway, QuickType, TouchTyper, TypeTeacher, TypePractice,  TractoType, SomeType, TypeRope, KeyShifter, YATTT (yet another touch type tutor) etc.

Are you writing one?  Or should it be called PieSkyTyper?

I never liked the name Amphetype, because I can never spell it.  I assumed the name was derived from Amphetamine.

Last edited by pinkyache (28-Apr-2014 10:31:16)

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Interesting question. I had never thought of amphetamine in connection with the name Amphetype, but I have a better relationship with latin than most it seems.

Since it's obvious that people don't get latin references, they can be tricky even if I think they're cool. If you want something connected with speed, there's 'vitype', 'celertype', 'volotype' (cool one; from 'flying' and gives associations to 'velotype'), 'propertype' and, well, 'fasttype' (although going by strict latin it should be 'festtype' which doesn't work). ;)

If you want a focus on typing books, you could use a name that gives that association? Like 'readtype', 'literatype' (good one – 'litera' means 'letter' and has a bunch of good associations!), 'tapreader', 'textkeyer'...?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I guess Amphetype comes not from Latin, but from Greek: amphí which means "on both sides" (it's the same root as: ambidextrous; so 'Amphetype' to me sounds something like 'type with both hands')

Thanks for the suggestions, it's called Acutype for now, I like literatype though another unassuming one.

pinkyache said:

Are you writing one?  Or should it be called PieSkyTyper?

I'm doing it as we speak but for now it will be very basic with a similar interface to Amphetype without all the graphs and stats. I'm just trying to get my head around some technical stuff.

Could this possibly be moved to User Contributions? I posted in the wrong forum.

Last edited by Twoddle (28-Apr-2014 23:04:03)

Never mind the forum placement for now. When you have a product to show, you'll of course make a Contribution topic! :)

Best of luck.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I noticed that Accutype is Lenovo's name for their chiclet keyboards.   Not sure if that matters to you or not.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.