• You are not logged in.

Typing videos!

• Started by davkol
    • 19 Replies:

Do you have a recording of yourself typing on a keyboard using the Colemak layout? Post it! It demonstrates stuff like finger movement or hand alternation quite well.

Some of my ergonomic keyboards:

More standard custom keyboards:

Still modern:

My collection of vintage keyboards:

See lalop's post or RoastPotatoes' channel for more videos.

Last edited by davkol (07-Apr-2017 13:00:24)

Get yourself an ergonomic keyboard. Learn Maltron. Or stenography.

That's quite a collection/addiction you have there...  Which is your fav?  The POS looks interesting, but  I guess it requires a pounding like my Dell with black alps.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Wow, 30+ keyboards... I thought I had a lot (10 ish).  I'm really looking forward to the Axios, but I would settle for an ErgoDox if the next Massdrop ever happens.  Unfortunately I just can't get over the shape of the keyboard.io.  Otherwise it would be a good candidate.  Are there any other good mechanical switch keyboards that have nicely aligned keys?  I've never used one, but if you claim it's a much bigger improvement to typing comfort than switching from QWERTY, then I have to try it.

So easy to become a collector when you are so fond of something. I have 10 mech keyboards but mostly use two: one for work and one at home.

Oooo, that's some serious love you've got going on.

Shucks, there I was thinking I was guilty having two mechs.  The missus tries to enforce a one-in, one-out policy, oh for a bat cave.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

The non-standard layout vids are very interesting!  I hope you show us more of them.  That offer is also tempting...

Though I'm not sure when I'll be able to make my own (not having touched a camera in seemingly forever), a youtube search comes up with some additional Colemak videos.  Categorizing them for future reference:

"Top-down" perspective

"Higher front" perspective

"Lower front" perspective

"Side" perspective

"Back" perspective

Sadly, there don't yet seem to be any Colemak Ergodox (davkol's added one) or Workman videos.

xedrac said:

Are there any other good mechanical switch keyboards that have nicely aligned keys?

The Atreus is a compact alternative to ergodox.  I don't think I could tolerate not having a number row for vim-like programs, though.  Also, they seem to only offer MX Blue, and the assembled ones appear to be sold out for a while.

Last edited by lalop (08-Jun-2015 10:45:11)

The Atreus looks perfect except for the lack of layer-1 numbers and symbols.  I am a heavy vim user too, and that would seriously hinder my productivity.

Trying to find the perfect keyboard? If there is such a thing.

I only have 4 at the moment, none of them are mech's though. I used to have a 5th one, a MS keyboard(Don't remember the model number of it though.), I don't have a clue to where it went, misplaced it sometime ago.

Pics of them, they are a Logitech g15, Logitech wave, Logitech k800 and some ancient thing I have no idea how old the thing is, old enough to use a 5 pin DIN connector, it's also a 101 key keyboard...

http://sc.cartman-2000.net/images/IMG_1.jpg
    http://sc.cartman-2000.net/images/IMG_2.jpg

Last edited by cartman-2000 (04-Aug-2014 00:56:46)

(
    That 'ancient' model looks promising, look for a serial number on it and search by it.  Or try Geekhack/Deskthority.  The keyboard affictionados are to be found over there.  And they'll most likely identify it.

I found a lovely ancient keyboard stuck in some dusty recess of a garage.  I was excited to discover it was a revered classic.  Sadly after getting the DIN to PS2 converter it failed to work.  Further investigation led to me finding a crack across the PCB. :(
    )

@cartman-2000 how about getting some video of you working some of those pieces before you start out on your journey to master touch typing?

Last edited by pinkyache (29-Aug-2014 00:21:04)

--

That old one is a LITE-ON SK-6801. I did take it apart once before which wasn't the best idea, the thing is a royal pain to get back together again. It's an individual rubber dome keyboard(which makes direct contact to the PCB.). It also has a separate keycap and plastic plunger, so it can be pretty loud typing on it. It's actually my softest keyboard in terms of press force.

Ugh, I wouldn't really want to use the g15 and wave ones, they stick way to much. The old one sticks too a little bit but not as bad as those other two boards.

Last edited by cartman-2000 (04-Aug-2014 18:39:31)

I just noticed something interesting about that k800 keyboard of mine. Take a close look at the stagger of the number row on that keyboard, it has a non-standard number row stagger, most keyboards have a 1/2 key left stagger on the number row, this one has just a 1/4th key left stagger on the number row(the same stagger as the home and top letter rows.).

So it does. It's better for the right hand and worse for the left, just like the upper row stagger.

Half staggers on all rows would make the most sense, unless the hands are parted in which case a quarter stagger in each hand's direction would be nice. I haven't seen the former anywhere, and the latter only on crappy keyboards.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I've more or less have been able to measure the press force it takes for that very old keyboard of mine to press the keys, they are very light at around 45-55g to press the keys down, and the caps are also compatible with cherry switches too.

If possible, I think you should put Colemak in the title, in case anyone searches for "colemak ergodox".  (It does show up in my search results, but the title doesn't make it clear.)

One weird/interesting thing I noticed: with the sound off, it hardly looks like you're typing at all!  Only when turning the sound up did I realize "oh, that was actually a lot of typing".

I currently have two typing videos:
    HHKB
    Model M SSK

I am also going to make videos for the novatouch, POK3R and MX 6.0.

Last edited by RoastPotatoes_ (19-Aug-2015 18:51:57)
    RoastPotatoes_ said:

HHKB
    Model M SSK

It's striking how the steady the hands are around the home row... except when you need to hit backspace! 
    I wonder why you don't use a different key for backspace e.g CapsLock?

Last edited by stevep99 (20-Aug-2015 15:45:02)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

(Finally got myself a Das with brown cherries.  So I'll try my best and get a video up soon.)

--

RoastPotatoes_ said:

HHKB
    Model M SSK

I'm very stuck with control as caps lock. Backspace is really my weakness on ISO and ANSI boards. I feel a little more comfortable on the HHKB which has the lowered backspace but it still interrupts my flow.

I came across this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mNu8WnFFa0

99wpm with two index fingers? Does it look right to you?

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

This is quite a cool keyboard. I haven't got over my backspace problem yet.
    https://youtu.be/y1uUT3EHpV4

I also did the corsair strafe.
    https://youtu.be/8nf_LGu4fpo

Both of these have Cherry Brown switches.