• You are not logged in.

My transition to Colemak

• Started by stevep99
  • 29 Replies:

It's now about 5 weeks since I started my Colemak journey, so here is a progress report, and some observations on my experience, and some thoughts on Colemak and layouts in general.

For the first month I went through the tarmak stages, about one per week, until after the 3rd stage when I jumped direct to full Colemak. I found Tarmak useful for gradually adapting to the new key positions, but I didn't like to stay too long on any one level as I was concerned I would start to adapt to certain combinations (e.g. -ion) in the Tarmak 1,2 steps, only for that pattern to change again subsequently. Anyway, I've been on full Colemak now for about a week.

I have found the transition for some keys and key-combinations fairly easy, with others being very troublesome. As expected the S causes difficulty, but the R is actually OK, with the result I tend to press R a lot for both R and S. Also O seemed to bed down more easily than "I".  Seems like I have a problem with distinguishing between middle and ring fingers. This is no doubt in part because I am effectively also learning to touch-type in addition to moving to colemak.

Overall, although I didn't expect it to be easy, I am finding it tougher than expected. Even though I now know the layout well, I'm still having a lot of trouble making my fingers type quickly or accurately. The brain-finger interface is the problem! I have yet to break even 20 wpm. Also I'm experiencing some pain in my right hand, but that's probably more due to the actual amount of typing - I have been doing a lot of typing tests to try to improve. Hopefully now I am using full Colemak, things will gradually start to fall into place.

I guess I'm still at the painful transition stage so this may sound unduly negative, but I do have to agree with some of the criticisms of Colemak that have been made. The most obvious one is the centre column DH issue. I find that these two letters are significantly more difficult than, say, P and L. Typing M is also pretty easy compared to H. I suppose I can forgive H though as it is in the qwerty position.

But I think the left hand would be improved by the switch D>P>G. The common D would then be above T where it would be easier to type. It would also have the bonus advantage than G reverts to its familiar qwerty position.

Going on to a more general criticism of optimized layouts, I feel too much emphasis has been placed on trying to get them as optimal as possible without giving sufficient weight to learning difficulty. Since we live in a world dominated by Qwerty, alternative layouts looking to be successful need to be able to show a bit of leg to potential switchers. Colemak does this moderately well with its 10 letters unchanged and good shortcut retention, and the big advantage of Colemak over Dvorak is its easier transition from qwerty. But it makes me think moving S was a tactical mistake in this regard, even if it is marginally more efficient in its new position.

Meanwhile the Workman layout solves the centre column issue but at the expense of moving further away from qwerty. The layout that does best in this regard is Norman. All these modern optimized layouts score close to each other on most of the common metrics, but Norman emphasis on re-usable qwerty skills where possible is in my view the best approach.

So why not pick Norman? Well, it was my runner-up. The fact the Colemak is more widely available and supported won the day. Norman is still very new. Colemak is the layout most likely to break out into public awareness. The fact that it available by default on Mac OS and Android is very significant.

So I decided that despite the more difficult learning curve, it would be worthwhile in the end, and so I am still committed to learning Colemak. I hope I will be able to adapt in the coming few weeks and I am still hoping that will be the case. As they say, no pain, no gain! I'll try to post occasional progress updates to let you know how it goes...

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

haha i feel your pain.

i started to learn colemak via tarmak at a time when a bunch of others were doing the same

i was totally disheartened as they reached 80wpm+ in a month or so while i languished around the 20wpm mark

but i think what those guys had in common was that they were already super fast qwerty touch typists, ~100wpm mark, and so they were used to each of their fingers having to pull their weight

i was, like you, also learning to touch type for the 1st time after being a long-term hunt-and-pecker so my ring fingers were particularly weak which did cause months of fatigue and a little pain.

i totally agree that the key is ditching qwerty and not worrying about the differences between optimised layouts - just pick one and stick with it - i think colemak is a fine choice

stick with it - i am approaching  a year with colemak and am only just getting to the stage where its becoming relatively easy to use

You are right, it's painful and difficult at first. Looking back, the first three weeks are the hardest. You live in a slowing down motion picture.

Last edited by Tony_VN (16-May-2014 13:22:00)

In my experience, typing at slow speeds can feel very different from typing at higher speeds, so I would be skeptical of initial impressions.  I worried about Workman's middle column complaints back when I was new to Colemak and still scrutinizing every motion, but as I got faster I never really felt the issue in practice.

I would be wary of Norman's very high same-finger: discounting same-key, 4.79% (once every 21 keys on average) compared to QWERTY's 4.95% (once every 20 keys on average).

stevep99 said:

Going on to a more general criticism of optimized layouts, I feel too much emphasis has been placed on trying to get them as optimal as possible without giving sufficient weight to learning difficulty.

I disagree, based on the content of your previous thread.  We saw a variety of layouts on the "less optimized but with fewer differences from QWERTY" spectrum, all the way down to Minimak 4!

Last edited by lalop (20-May-2014 05:08:50)

Touch typing can take a while to hone.  You see alot of folks here talk about some pretty high speeds, but most of us have been touch typists for a very long time.

Typing classes in high school and such can last an entire semester or even longer... so do expect it to take a while.  I went from reasonably fast hunt and pecker as a kid to a really fast touch typist in around 18 months.  Perhaps all of those lines of "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." I did bored out of my mind in school too (I know I spent at least a week typing that as fast as I could over and over and over to see how much I could cram into a single given class / etc heh).

-----------------

There are plenty of things to consider when touch typing as far as comfort etc.  You can google up a lot of questions and answers regarding the topic.

I cover a fair amount of questions to ask yourself:

https://forum.colemak.com/viewtopic.php … 817#p14817

Take a look at fast touch typists on youtube.  Videos where folks discuss mechanical keyboard sound tests etc are excellent for giving you closeups of hand / finger positions etc.  I'll note that plenty of those folks aren't touch typists, but whatever.  You can look and try to see some ideas etc. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D37Ix9Ng0to

This chick is pretty neat.  Her right hand moves far more than her left, though.  She also isn't quite a proper touch typist, she strikes A with her ring finger, etc.  Might have something to do with the finger nails, I dunno. Most touch typists aren't textbook perfect touch typists.  If you look through some of the discussion here, you'll note that plenty of people acknowledge that LOTS of folks hit the C key with their index finger (which is technically wrong, I happen to do it too).  Basically, you'll take most of the tenants of proper touch typing and find something that works for you.  For me, this tends to be lazy approach - the more my fingers or wrists have to move, the less happy I am.

Lastly, as far as pain in touch typing - you're undoubtedly focusing very hard on finger position and finger movement, thus your muscles are likely tense for controlling your fingers. This will cause joint, tendon, and muscle pain.  If you can learn to just completely zen like relax while typing... it should 'flow' better.

Time for another update. It's now well over two months since I began my Colemak journey. If you subtract the time transitioning with Tarmak and being away on holiday, it's about a month with full Colemak.

I have to say I'm feeling more positive now, especially compared to my post above. My speed is still not great, hovering around 30 wpm with my best being 35. But it's starting to feel more natural, and the initial pains in my hand have subsided. It also becoming noticable now just how rare consecutive same-finger keys are. As I'm gradually becoming more fluent, it actually feels quite remarkable how often key sequences are positioned conveniently. Although I had read the stats on this, it's hard to appeciate it until you get the satisfaction of stringing together some sequences effeciently!

I still make quite a lot of mistakes: the ring/middle finger is still tricky. That said I feel like I am slowly becoming accustomed even to the dreaded S switch. At least once fully adapted, the more common S will be on a stronger finger.

I seem to have developed a problem confusing T and D though. One other unexpected problem I am having is C/V (and sometimes V/B). Yes, keys that are unchanged! That's probably indicating that some of my difficulties are due to learning to touch-type rather than Colemak per se. It has also made me feel more certain that slanting columns are a poor design, as I am typing both C and V with by index finger.

In the early days I had gone through moments of frustration and doubt, where I wondered whether Norman or Minimak might yet have been better for me - and I still think Colemak's main barrier to popularity is the learning difficulty - but I'm glad to say I've now reached a sufficient level of comfort with Colemak now, that there will no going back!

And I've barely used Qwerty either, so who knows what my Qwerty speed would be! I daren't find out as I don't want to "re-infect" my brain with any Qwerty muscle-memory!

I enjoy reading these updates.

I think your point about difficulty in learning is right on the money.  How much touch typing did you do before?  You said you were learning to touch type at the same time as learning Tarmak.

I was a reasonable half blind hunt and pecker under Qwerty, but found touch typing a bit of a slow climb and I also learned under a new layout.  I'm not sure if that was a help or a hindrance.  My fingers are still a little uncomfortable with touch typing, but it's getting easier/looser.

I step into Qwerty every once in a while.  And although I have never really touch-typed Qwerty there is still a familiarity about it.  It can catch me by surprise.  I can't really touch type it, but with a little help from my eyes the brain sometimes goes first.  It's probably just soingrained.  I have tried touch typing Dvorak with less fingers (say no pinky) and I can quite soon get to grips with it, though not as fast.   The brain must do some serious dot joining.  Amazing really.

Last edited by pinkyache (28-Jun-2014 16:26:45)

--
Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

Sounds like you might benefit from an Angle ergonomic mod (shifting ZXCVB to the left). However, since you're still reeling from learning Colemak I'd advise letting things settle before you consider this. It can be a little extra confusing when you meet a non-modded keyboard.

In hindsight, do you feel that Tarmak worked to help you overcome the learning curve to Colemak in a useful way?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Regarding Tarmak, I think it was useful in my case. Being effectively unable to type for several weeks (which is what a cold-turkey switch would have meant) wasn't really a viable option. If circumstances were different, if say I had a free couple of months -- with no day-to-day work -- then I'd probably have gone cold turkey. As it was, I may well have not chosen Colemak (or at would have at least postponed it) if Tarmak didn't exist.

Spending quite some time on Tarmak-1 in particular was useful as E is so frequent that it was good to get that to bed down early. Especially as it also changes hand. I probably rushed the later stages a bit too much (skipping step-4 entirely), which meant I struggled for a while after reaching full Colemak.  But I don't really regret that. 

Curiously though, I found that in the early Tarmak steps, I would often revert back to hunt-and-peck, and only once I was on full Colemak did I manage to be more disciplined about keeping my fingers in the proper positions.

I think it's great that Tarmak exists, as it's always good to provide options to potential new users which make the transition more accessible.

Last edited by stevep99 (02-Jul-2014 13:34:24)

Woohoo. Today I just got my first 50 wpm on 10fastfingers! I'm usually in the range 40-45 though.  But still, it's getting closer to that all-important pre-colemak speed, 55.

However I have noticed that I now type way faster on 10fastfingers compared to other typing. It's like I have learned the most common words, but as soon as I need to type something with unfamiliar words, and especially, with a lot of punctuation, I am a lot slower. I have started using typeracer and tipp10 for comparison and find I am around 30 wpm.  It makes a big difference. I wish I'd done a wider variety of tests with Qwerty before the change so that I could more accurately assess my progress!

I've found that most sites significantly reuse text, making it so that you become very proficient at those texts but not so much at any other.

For that reason, I'd suggest using a program like amphetype that lets you read and practice typing at the same time.  The danger of repetition is reduced, especially if you periodically read from different sources.

stevep99 said:

I wish I'd done a wider variety of tests with Qwerty before the change so that I could more accurately assess my progress!

Heh, still preferable to my situation.  I didn't even bother trying a speed test beforehand, since I was switching for comfort (while true, still very short-sighted).  As a result, I now wonder ever so often "did I use to be this fast?  Or did I beat my old speed a while ago?  Or might have I been even faster?"

might be worth throwing in the wide-angle mods as dreymar suggested before you get any more familiar with standard colemak

i think i did at about 50wpm and it was a good move

wide angle is a definite win for me on a standard (staggered) layout keyboard

I also learned Colemak for comfort more than speed, but I'm still interested in tracking my progress speed-wise.

Of course, it's good that I'm faster on common words - which is what 10fastfingers training helps with.  It's just that I noticed that my score on there is not really an accurate reflection of my typing in general. For example typing this post - there's no way it would be anywhere near 40 wpm.  I'll have to check out amphetype.

Last edited by stevep99 (18-Jul-2014 17:15:52)

And regarding the wide-angle mods:  It's a nice idea but I'm not sure I want to commit to it. I would consider the ZXCVB mod. But as I am using the installed Colemak layout rather than PKL it makes it more tricky. Part of my reason for choosing Colemak was to use a layout that is a standard(-ish ) and readily available. Only Colemak and Dvorak fall in to that category. If I was willing to make arbitrary modifications I'd probably have chosen a different layout in the first place.

That said, at the risk of slightly contradicting myself, I am happy to use AutoHotKey to provide additional nice features. One such I have started using is to redefine a single AltGr press to be the Return key. It means the two most common keys on the extreme right-hand side (backspace and return) are mapped to more convenient locations, so the need for the right-shifted mod is reduced. I no longer need to move my right hand from the home position as I can hit AltGr with my right thumb and of course backspace is on CapsLock. I have retained the usual AltGr key-combinations so that I can still type extended chars as required. I think it is a nice improvement.

Last edited by stevep99 (18-Jul-2014 18:06:02)

@davkol

1. Unrepresentative results: you get to be very fast with the specific texts they measure, but much slower otherwise

2. Insufficient flexibility training: since in repeating the familiar, one isn't practicing reacting to unknown texts

3. Boredom: one can only type the same thing so many times before this sets in

I understand the desire for standards, while throwing in some extras. I was sold to PKL because it's the only way I can do everything I want to comfortably (I think). If you're using AHK keyboard hooks already, then PKL won't work well with those which limits your options. But many keyboard tweaks can be incorporated into a PKL layout.

Shai himself once said that the ZXCVB shift could be a candidate for a Colemak standard on 102/105-key (ISO) keyboards. Unfortunately, it's nowhere to be found in the installer packages and those who use it tend to go the whole nine yards and throw in a Wide mod; I find the Wide mod not really necessary although I use and like it myself, so if you want to avoid confusion I suggest leaving that one out of the mix.

You can quite easily make a ZXCVB shifted MSKLC install. Just fire up the program (downloadable for free from Microsoft) and load in your existing installed layout, then remap the ZXVCB and VK_102 keys. Make sure you remap their VK names as well, or the result won't play well with some apps. Now give your project a new name and save and compile it to a new installer. If you wish to modify that, you should first uninstall the previous layout version.

Last edited by DreymaR (21-Jul-2014 11:26:58)

My colemak typing is coming along quite nicely, I am probably almost up to my old Qwerty speeds, but the difference in comfort is really noticable... well, certainly for standard English text typing anyway.

However now that I am using proper touch-typing technique, I have increasingly started to notice how different the experience is doing "normal" typing (e.g. emails, or even typing tests),  compared to as a software developer, doing a lot of coding. Especially using a modern IDE, with their content-assist features which allow you to fill in expessions using short strings of text, then arrow keys/return. Plus developers tend to use a lot of key shortcuts and more symbols/punctuation characters, not to mention the amount of general editing with heavy reliance on arrow keys, copy/paste etc. Basically it feels a lot more disjointed than normal typing.

I have implemented a some changes using the brilliant AutoHotKey to try to address some of these issues, but I feel the developer experience is still far from perfect. This is what I have set up so far:

1. A single tap of CapLock is backspace.
2. Holding down CapLock and pressing another key gives a new layer. This layer is similar to that of DreymaR and others, and sets up arrow keys, PgUp/PgDown, Home, End etc around the right-hand home keys.
3. A singe tap of AltGr is Return.
4. Holding down AltGr and pressing another key gives additional characters. Previously I used this for extended/accented characters, based on the MS international layout. But since I rarely needed to type those, I have now instead put common programming keys (e.g "{}[]-_=+", etc) on the home row for this layer. I have not fully adapted to this yet but if feels like a promising idea so far.

The issues I have are:

- The CapsLock layer sounds great in theory but I find it awkward to use in practise. Especially when selecting text using arrows to cut/paste elsewhere. You end up with awkward combinations of CapsLock and Shift while also navigating around with the right-hand keys. Perhaps this can be overcome with time. But my feeling is this layer would be better as a toggle on/off via a single tap of CapsLock. But if I did that I would need to remap Backspace to something else. Or alternatively use some other key to toggle this layer.

- I would like to find a better method for Shift. I am unsatisfied with the pinkie stretch. Sticky shift might be a possible improvement here. It occured to me that CapLock would actually be a logical Sticky Shift, as it would be like its original meaning but would only stay in force for one keypress. But of course I can't re-use CapsLock for everything! I have considered remapping Left Alt so that I could then use that for e.g. BackSpace instead. But with each of these changes it's getting more and more complicated.

Yeah, so probably most of these problems could be solved by getting a better-designed keyboard. And I will do that when one I like the look of becomes readily available. But in the meantime I continue in my quest to find a mapping which is intuitive and efficient. Interested to know what bright ideas others have come up with in this area.

Good to hear you've made progress, and have graduated from base Colemak to modded Colemak :D

stevep99 said:

Especially when selecting text using arrows to cut/paste elsewhere. You end up with awkward combinations of CapsLock and Shift while also navigating around with the right-hand keys.

Unless there's a way to "activate selection" then move around without having to hold anything (e.g. C-Space in emacs or v in vim), I'm not sure trying to select text via keyboard is worth it. Perhaps someone with experience otherwise can correct me on this front.

stevep99 said:

However now that I am using proper touch-typing technique, I have increasingly started to notice how different the experience is doing "normal" typing (e.g. emails, or even typing tests),  compared to as a software developer, doing a lot of coding. Especially using a modern IDE, with their content-assist features which allow you to fill in expessions using short strings of text, then arrow keys/return. Plus developers tend to use a lot of key shortcuts and more symbols/punctuation characters, not to mention the amount of general editing with heavy reliance on arrow keys, copy/paste etc. Basically it feels a lot more disjointed than normal typing.

Concerning navigation/shortcuts: for pretty much those reasons, I've been using vimlike programs wherever possible, and putting as much common functionality on the base layer as I can manage.  That way, navigation/shortcuts become a lot more reminiscent of normal typing. 

https://github.com/lalopmak/lalopmak-mappings

Also: ItsAllText (and/or Vimperator's "Insert Mode") to edit stuff in an external editor.

Still a ways to go, though.  I haven't figured out efficient keyboard-based selection of website text yet.

Nice ideas with the tap-release versions of Caps and AltGr. I've been wary of trying it, but if you think it works very well over time then keep telling us! :)

For Shift/Ctrl/Alt with the extend layer, I really think you need a set of modifiers like I have on S/T/A (I couldn't use R for Ctrl because of a ghosting quirk in the hardware). Otherwise, like you say it'll get very contorted. Hitting Caps+A+S+I for Alt+Shift+Right actually feels smooth to me as it's all on the home row. Once you're used to it, these chords flow from your fingers like playing the piano.

I wouldn't toggle the layer, as it's very powerful to be able to jump right in and out of it. I frequently need to jump up one line and back one word to delete a small typo, then type in the right word before moving back to where I was and type on; going in and out of modes for that seems clunky in that case and a sticky layer would be a disaster then as I see it. Maybe I'm more with Emacs than with Vim on that particular issue, although I use only the latter editor.

In addition to the brackets and such, you might consider a left-hand NumPad on your AltGr layer? I have mapped an expanded NumPad for my "Extend layer #2", and it's nice now and then. That might be a toggle layer of its own, though.

Last edited by DreymaR (10-Aug-2014 11:10:43)

lalop said:

Good to hear you've made progress, and have graduated from base Colemak to modded Colemak :D

stevep99 said:

Especially when selecting text using arrows to cut/paste elsewhere. You end up with awkward combinations of CapsLock and Shift while also navigating around with the right-hand keys.

Unless there's a way to "activate selection" then move around without having to hold anything (e.g. C-Space in emacs or v in vim), I'm not sure trying to select text via keyboard is worth it. Perhaps someone with experience otherwise can correct me on this front.

Contrary to stevep99's experience, my coding experience has really improved from using Colemak. Two differences, though: I was already a QWERTY touch typist, and I use emacs. I'm finding I'm much more likely to use emacs's own movement shortcuts rather than arrow keys now than I was before.

If you have an ISO keyboard, another possibility is to (like Neo) make VK_102 an extra modifier (or making it into left shift and making the old left shift the extra modifier).  This would prevent the angle mod, but you could use still use the angle mod's physical fingering (since you already hit C with index finger).

jfmcbrayer said:

Contrary to stevep99's experience, my coding experience has really improved from using Colemak. Two differences, though: I was already a QWERTY touch typist, and I use emacs. I'm finding I'm much more likely to use emacs's own movement shortcuts rather than arrow keys now than I was before.

My impression was that stevep99's issues were more to do with the more "modern" programs deficient in keyboard functionality, and that remappings like an Extended navigation layer weren't making up for it. 

I would take care not to overuse emacs' movement shortcuts, though; they're arguably the worst aspect of emacs (haha only serious):  C-b and M-b are probably the most blatant examples: out-of-the-way if C- and M- are hit with the opposite hand, and downright contorted with the same hand.

In lieu of that, I hear i-search is a popular movement method in emacs, and Colemak, thankfully, positions C-r and C-s very nicely.  However, if you haven't already, also look into alternative movement methods such as Ace Jump Mode or even Evil (an extensible vi layer ;).

Thanks for the feedback.  I have made some modifications to my mappings:

As DreymaR suggested, in my CapsLock layer I have defined S to be shift. That does indeed work better than pressing shift.

In addition to holding down CapsLock, I also made a way to toggle this layer on/of, by means of Alt+CapsLock.  This would be for use in the case where a lot of moving stuff around is required. Since Caps-X,C,V are also cut/copy/paste, it means while in this mode I can do those operations plus navigating around, all with a single key presses. It reminds me slightly of way back in the day when I used to use vi with its separate edit mode.

I have now made single AltGr tap be "sticky shift".  I like having a sticky shift key in an easy-to-reach-place and decided that was more important than Return, so I moved that to Caps-M.  I also made AltGr+CapsLock actually toggle CapsLock for those rare occasions where several capitals are needed and sticky shift wouldn't be up to the job. Using this scheme I should be able to completely avoid pressing Shift, which has always been one of my bugbears with my ISO keyboard. 

Neo's extra layers are interesting. In theory I could have my VK_102 button be yet another layer which would provide the numeric keypad. But I think I already have more than enough custom changes to be getting on with. My CapsLock and AltGr are now quite heavily overloaded; the trick will be getting used all these features so they can be used efficiently.

Seems there are a lot of emacs fans around here, but I have never used it!

Last edited by stevep99 (13-Aug-2014 14:01:28)

A new milestone reached: Just recorded a first reaching exactly one word per second (i.e. 60 wpm)!

Although, I usually am around 50-ish. Definitely levelling off at this point. That's OK though, it's a comfortable typing speed and I believe have overtaken my previous Qwerty ability at least.

The biggest problem now is the amount of mistakes I make.

Congratulations. I'm at about the same point, though on easy tests I peak as high as 67 WPM. Still not anywhere near my old QWERTY speedse though.

It can sake some time to get all of the keys right when typing, it's been around two months for me and I still have some problems with some letters on the board(positioning of the v and b keys and the p and g keys because of the left staggar of the keyboard.).