• You are not logged in.

Trying Colemak

• Started by JackMills
    • 5 Replies:

Hello

first time poster, first day Colemak user. 20 years experience typing on Azerty, but I know Qwerty as well.
    After looking around at better keyboard layouts I decided to try Colemak.
    I installed the layout on Windows 8 and just dove into it. I am typing all this, going as fast as a snail, but I confident I will stick to this for a while.

I haven`t printed the layout, I have it on the screen, non-sticky, to force myself to truly blind type (the difference with the Azerty keyboard is making it almost impossible to cheat)

Jack

Last edited by JackMills (28-May-2014 13:55:51)

Welcome!  If you type a lot of French/Belgian, one of the Locale Colemak variants might interest you.

There are plenty of folks who have chronicled their experiences of going through The Change (TM) here on the forum ... I myself am still in progress heh.  I'd suggest browsing through their logs ... I found it to be immensely helpful.

In 4 weeks I went from 6wpm to around 35-50 with 80-95% accuracy depending on the phase of the moon.  I have some concern as to if I've lost Qwerty skills, I'll be taking 20min tomorrow to drill it to make sure I can still do it heh.

----------------

I found using the PKL.EXE thing, that I used the on screen keyboard instead of the printed out thing as well.  I'm not too far to actually installing the stuff to make it a proper keyboard layout at the os level :D.

Are you using any typing tutors ?

Cold turkey ?

Tarmak ?

--------------

Keep at it, you can do it! You'll eventually notice all of the home row typing and be a bit amazed.  Heat maps dont do it justice.

Cold turkey switching will be extremely tough. I switched normal way, one or two keys at a time, and I found it tough already.

Printed layout is needed for the first week, then you know it by heart.

Tony_VN said:

I switched normal way, one or two keys at a time

Wait, what?

lalop said:
    Tony_VN said:

I switched normal way, one or two keys at a time

Wait, what?

TypeFaster, just the normal way.