• You are not logged in.

Progress after 15 days

• Started by timvermeulen
    • 5 Replies:

Progress

I'm very pleased with how things are going. My speed used to be ~120WPM on QWERTY, so I've almost regained my speed. My ultimate goal is 150WPM.

Looking good!

http://www.ryanheise.com/colemak/

Ryan Heise had speed similar to yours, kept both QWERTY and Colemak skills and logged the results. Maybe you'll find something interesting in his story if you haven't seen it already.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I hadn't seen that graph yet, but the text seemed familiar. I managed to keep my QWERTY above 100WPM for the first few days, but after that it became a disaster. If I have to type something in QWERTY now, I only use my index fingers. I might get it up to speed if I'd try, but I'm afraid it will mess up my Colemak, so I just don't bother with touch-typing QWERTY anymore.

That's really fast at getting back up to speed. I've been learning Colemak for about 60 days now, and while my speed is no longer bad enough to be a productivity drain (50WPM), it's nowhere near my old QWERTY speed (90-100WPM). How is your accuracy?

Uhm, I've never really understood those accuracy percentages, but I correct my mistakes most of the time, resulting in 0 errors. However, I usually make between 5 and 10 corrections per one minute test (which contains a little under 500 keystrokes, in my case), so I guess my accuracy is a little higher than 98%. I do notice that I need to concentrate while typing, though… If I don't do that, then my error rate grows drastically. With QWERTY, I could type without thinking, but with Colemak I can't do that yet. I guess that's a matter of time.

Last edited by timvermeulen (23-Jun-2014 20:24:06)

Accuracy can be measured in many typing tests/tutors. Amphetype gives you a percentage, and TypeRacer too iirc.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***