• You are not logged in.

Colemak on Ubuntu(studio) Feisty

• Started by ethana2
    • 21 Replies:

I've looked through the forums, tried google and all that, and I've seen lots of command line work to be done.  I'm ok with that, I've installed the command line extras console-common or whatever, and made lots of other modifications to my system trying to get this to work.  Simply put, my brain is not capable of parsing all these snippets of code I come across into something that works.  Not to be demanding or anything, but what I need is one thing of code to type in to do this:

Starting conditions: colemak.iso15.kmap has already been untarred to my /home/ethan/Desktop directory.
    I'll assume I need admin privileges.  Not a problem there.
    su
    (password)

I want to have some kind of language bar to switch layouts quickly, but if an alias binding is as good as it gets for quick switching, fine.  I want to see Colemak right next to all the other layouts under English in the system->preferences->keyboard->layouts manager.

gedit usually has weird problems, but I'm fine with vim.  i, w, q, delete, arrow keys.

I'll give you console feedback from previous attempts.  Here:
    ethan@desktop:~/Desktop$ ls
    colemak-1.0.tar.gz  colemak.iso15.kmap
    ethan@desktop:~/Desktop$ install-keymap colemak.iso15.kmap
    Deferring virtual terminal setup until console accessible.
    ethan@desktop:~/Desktop$

If a complete solution has multiple facets, it'd be nice to explain them and keep them separate, like so:
    First, we must add colemak to the list of layout modules in...
    Code:
    | bla &&bla /bla/bla
    |cp bla.bla /$
    Then, we must configure xorg to...
    Code:
    |And so on.

If any additional questions must be answered by myself, I'll try to answer them quickly.
    Any help is very, very much appreciated.

I'm having some problems too with Ubuntu Feisty...

At first install-keymap was not recognized, I had apt-get install console-common and that provided the install-keymap command

but afterwards, even if I had followed the rules, my layout wont change. It might just be me but the command line just accepts the commands w/o errors but nothing happens.

Anyone?

I'm not an expert, but I had a similar problem which I solved, by double checking to make sure the files are in the appropriate folders that are being pointed to via the command line.

Last edited by AGK (19-Jun-2007 06:24:54)

I got install-keymap via console-common, too.  It's nice to know someone's with me, all the way down to the bash extensions.  Makes me feel not so alone.

Anyway, back on topic.  Do I need to unzip them into a special directory, where all the other kmap files reside, and then say "Hey, a new layout is in this folder.  Install it."  install-keymap...... As for where the command line was pointing, it was in the directory where the file was, so...  yeah.  I'm not sure I get what you're saying, AGK..  Is there a special spot I have to put them?

Honestly, until I figure this out, well, I can't really use Ubuntu...  Which, coming from me, means a lot, as I hate windows with a passion. But I really don't want to have to contaminate my colemak with qwerty again any time soon.  I want to be a court reporter or captions typer, and I, well, don't like stenographs.  So anyway, I need to get up around, well, 200 wpm.  It'd be nice to have an average spec of how fast we here type, on average, at colemak.com.  Perhaps have personal progress logs.  All after a more thorough Linux implementation though.  First things first.  Man, I thought this thread died.  Hope springs over the...  Gahh, I'm doing it again.  I'm always just too tempted to type alot when using colemak.  Maybe I just want to get a lot of practice, maybe it's just too fun.

But yeah.  Stay with me here.  What do we Ubuntu users have to do?

Hi,

I still haven't figured it out but maybe someone could help us with this. The kmap file says:

charset "iso-8859-15"  # use a ISO-8859-15 font, e.g.: consolechars -f lat9v-14

I tried consolechars -f lat9v-14 but it seems that I don't have lat9, could anyone recommend another that is available in ubuntu? I believe this could be one of the reasons of the problem.

Thanks...

p.s. I tried removing the said line but the console displayed a warning regarding the euro sign.
    p.s. I'm having a hard time typing qwerty now :)

Last edited by Renelou (19-Jun-2007 23:28:50)

Well, I gave it another shot tonight.  Tried everything.  Got confused.  Made no progress, got frustrated, all that.
    Axe murdered my system config, probably, as well.  I'm screwing something up as su, I just know it.  If X11 breaks, I'm gonna cry.  It took me so long to even get graphical output on this ati card.

Seriously.  If anyone else out there uses Ubuntu feisty, please help me...

I have colemak.iso15.kmap on my desktop.  What do I do with it?  Should I delete it and start over?
    I've exhausted myself.  I'm going to bed now.  And if you're going to post code, try to keep it down to one block of it- my brain can't handle any more.  I'll relay feedback from whatever error messages I get to you.

• Shai
    • Administrator

Just to let that I've starting working on a Linux installer. I'll let you know when it'll become available. I've also updated a bit the instructions to make them clearer.

Wow that's good to hear, I'm at lost too since I found out that I already got lat9v at my console fonts yet I could not proceed. Thanks in advance. ^_^

Thank goodness for you, Shai.  What would we do without you?
    Other than look at the keys and type using whatever finger's closest, maybe getting carpal tunnel in there somewhere...
    I know so many qwerty users that do that...  I was one of them, of course.

You know, seeing as You've started on that installer, I'm just going to stick to windows for a while- kinda give up on it until the calvary arrives.
    Would it be logically possible to provide an ETA?  You could pull a Scotty and multiply your time estimate by a factor of four....

• Shai
    • Administrator

Sorry, I can't give any ETA's.

Hi,

I submitted a bug to the xkeyboard-config freedesktop.org.  Within hours it has been merged (even with my poor patch).

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11416

I modified the format slightly, but it will only be under U.S. English.  Shai, you might want to send patches for other languages (I don't know which ones are applicable).

When the version of xkeyboard-config is bumped, and distros include it we will have colemak on most linuxes :D.

Is the colemak installer still coming? I was wondering because I will try to switch to Ubuntu and I can't possibly survive without colemak. I'm near a total n00b to Linux and I think the installing instructions look a bit frightening. Thanks!

In Linux, keyboard layouts are all supposed to be organized by the gnome and KDE keyboard layout switchers.  The developers of these need to be contacted and asked to include colemak alongside the other hundred layouts they have.  Until then, the install solution will be less than optimal, as I understand.  We need to make a petition or something.

I've survived by making a colemak.sh file in my home directory, and making a shortcut to switch in my quick start panel that uses the ktouch icon :)

Download colemak into your home directory, and unzip it so you have a /home/yourname/colemak-1.0/ .  Then copy the following text into a colemak.sh file, also in your home directory using a text editor like gedit.
    <code>cd colemak-1.0
    setxkbmap us; xmodmap xmodmap/xmodmap.colemak && xset r 66</code>

Make a shortcut to that file.  When you click it, it should switch layouts.  It's been a while since I initially set it up, so I may be forgetting something-- just contact me at ethana2@gmail.com if that doesn't work, and I'll try to help as much as I can.

--all above text typed in colemak on Ubuntu Feisty.

Oh, yeah-- and that offer for help covers /anything/ you need help with in Linux, not just colemak.  Being a Linux console gamer, I may be of quite a bit of help, and I want you to feel very free to take advantage of that as much as you need to.  We're all in this together, as I say :)

Hey everyone.  I've just installed Gutsy Gibbon and am having trouble getting Colemak installed.

I typed sudo cp xorg/colemak /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/colemak  into the teminal and got a file not found error.  Any hints?  I'm hating being back in qwerty land!

The error was:

cp: cannot stat `xorg/colemak': No such file or directory

Did you download the files yet?
    You have to put them in your home instead of your desktop to easily do stuff with them in the terminal.
    If they are on your desktop, cd Desktop and try it again.

Colemak is in Hardy but it's broken, so I recommend using this same method on it too.  I filed a bug, but no one has backed me up on it; if no one does, then canonical will assume it's not worth their time to see that it's fixed.  colemak needs to go into Hardy fully functional.

Hi, ethana2.  Thanks for responding.

After reading your post I thought I'd better try it again, and realized I hadn't changed directory to the right directory.  I'm still new to this whole Linux thing!  I have the great misfortune to own the world's worst Linux graphics card (the ATI x1950 Pro) and have only now, after 2 years intermittent trying, managed to get the graphics driver working and Compiz running.

I have another question for you, ethana2, if you don't mind.  My wife is another user on my machine.  Will she still be able to use QWERTY keyboard when she logs in, or is this change permanent?  She'll be pissed if the has to learn Colemak too! (She's not as enlightened as me :))

I run a dual seat desktop on Hardy.  Each seat uses its own layout.  ...when we just had one user, we just switched the layout back and forth with qwerty.sh
    ...and later, the normal layout switcher

be warned, colemak in hardy has no proper backspace.

How did you get your Colemak layout to stick?  I made your colemak.sh, but when I double-click it, it simply opens it in gedit.  What am I missing?

Thanks for your help, ethana2

executable permissions

Right.  Got that sorted.  Linux is still so new to me.  This (meaning 2 days) is the longest I've ever managed to keep it as my main system.  Here's hoping!

Thanks for your help, ethana2