• You are not logged in.

Learning Colemak from qwerty

• Started by elcukd
    • 5 Replies:

Last weekend finally i learned how to touch type in qwerty, and in my 4th day i manage to get 50 wpm (10fastfingers.com). But i realized that it's a such burden on my finger. Then i realized there are better alternative layout than qwerty, so i decided to learn a new layout(colemak) rather than continuing with qwerty.

Currently it's my second day learning colemak, yes, it gives me many headache. for typing tutorial i use KEYBR.COM which is the best IMO, and printed the colemak layout and put it right above my laptop screen to eliminate the headache when my brain ever get lost while learning. Currently i still using qwerty of course, and already decided to learn colemak intensively by this weekend, and i hope by the next Monday i would be able to touch type on colemak around 30 wpm, so i can ditch qwerty completely by then. I'll update my progress on this thread.

Let the journey begin.

Your burden should be on your fingers, not in your head. Keep practising evenly each day, not intensively.

Hey elcukd!  I agree with you that keybr.com is an excellent tool to train your fingers.  I personally like to use keybr.com, keyhero.com, and hi-games.net.  On top of those, I also have found that "blind" typing is also useful practice.  What I mean by that is to practice typing sentences that you think up on the fly, or hear audibly, rather than looking at what you are to type.

Good luck with your journey and make sure you don't go overboard and injure yourself.  Both learning to touch type and learning a new layout take time.

Thanks for the suggestions, and blind typing; yeah i find it useful too.
    Learning colemak turn out not as hard as i imagine it would be, currently i manage to get around 30wpm without the"intensive" learning i have in mind before , and i really could feel the comfort and fun in typing. What left is just regular practice.

At first I only got like 8-10 WPM(89% accuracy.) with it, currently getting around 14-18

How long have you been using this layout adilmalik? That was pretty close to what I got when I first started to type on this layout for both speed and accuracy, in the first few days or so, after two months or so typing on it I'm getting upto around 40 on average in speed and around like 97-98% accuracy.