• You are not logged in.

Hard time switching (Tarmak)

• Started by Yefb
    • 19 Replies:

Hi guys!

I've been working on my switch to Colemak with Tarmak (Thanks Dreymar). I can say, even if Tarmak has helped me a lot in the process, I've suffered a lot :S
    After 4 weeks working on this, I'm now in full Colemak, the more complex step, I guess. I already forgot QWERTY :P

I'm at around 20wpm, and it's getting hard and hard to improve  it.

I won't quit, I'm sure of that. I just want you to give some strength and help me staying motivated and mitigate the frustration :)

I practice A LOT with Type-fu in Mac, is it enough? Any other tips? Will my pain end soon? :(

Thanks!

davkol said:

you *will* wake up one morning suddenly typing much better.

LOL

Actually, I practice more than 1 hour per day. (I practiced almost 6 hrs yesterday and 6 hrs today).
    I do write all day as I'm a software developer.
    Btw, my productivity is down, but I'm kinda handling it.

I hate "L", I just can't get it right :(

When I asked about Type-fu being enough, I actually asked if I need to work with something else as a complement :).

I'm stuck in 20wpm, "L" it the big offender :(

Focus on your accuracy instead of speed. 98% is the common goal. Your speed will steadily increase on its own accord.

So, I'd better work at 20/98% instead of 35/90%?

I'm kind of frustrated, but this could maybe get better soon.
    I just need to focus on the right thing, in this case accuracy, I guess.

Yefb said:

So, I'd better work at 20/98% instead of 35/90%?

I'm kind of frustrated, but this could maybe get better soon.
    I just need to focus on the right thing, in this case accuracy, I guess.

Exactly.

going full colemak and lurking around the 20wpm mark is a *phenomenally* frustrating period

it will get better though - especially if you are putting in that amount of hours

and it is *all* about the accuracy.. never the speed

I agree on Amphetype being a good supplement. With it you can make practice lists of common words or your most problematic words (once you've typed in it for a while, it can even do that for you) which will help in my experience. I've used it for typing a few books ('Alice through the looking glass' and 'Il Principe'), which gave me better flow after a while at it.

Typing Of The Dead if you need a diversion – it's got surprisingly good drills! But I think you need Windows for it.

Last edited by DreymaR (02-Oct-2014 11:29:44)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Yefb said:

Hi guys!

I've been working on my switch to Colemak with Tarmak (Thanks Dreymar). I can say, even if Tarmak has helped me a lot in the process, I've suffered a lot :S
    After 4 weeks working on this, I'm now in full Colemak, the more complex step, I guess. I already forgot QWERTY :P

I'm at around 20wpm, and it's getting hard and hard to improve  it.

I also found it incredibly frustrating at that point. It seemed like the muscle memory just wouldn't come. I even started to wonder whether I had been too ambitious in switching to Colemak and maybe I should have switched to a more minimal change layout. It's worth sticking with though, as once you come out the other side, you will gain the benefits for the rest of your life.

You're at the the worst point now, so to look on the bright side, things will only get better from here on.. :-)

Last edited by stevep99 (02-Oct-2014 11:55:04)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

I remember learning to touch type and that part wasn't fun (once over 30wpm it feels better).  You are transitioning via Tarmak (I assume you could touch type Qwerty), I'd expect it to not kill your productivity quite so much.  Is that normal?  Perhaps that's just a side affect of having to think about what you are doing.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

It depends a lot on where you're coming from and who you are. In my Tarmak topic you'll see that Coldmak stayed at 20–40 WPM for almost the whole transition (which he did in a whooping 9 days) and there are other similar stories around. But what if your QWERTY speed was only 45 WPM to start with? Or you're prone to stress or have a very busy workday or haven't done anything similar before or...

I do recommend 97% accuracy at 40 WPM for each step in that topic, but obviously everyone have to make their own assessments.

Hi Guys, thanks a lot for the advices!

I didn't give you any background about me :).

I'm a Software developer. I didn't actually touch type, but I could write at 62wpm (QWERTY) using my 10 fingers with almost not looking at the keyboard and without a proper position of my fingers. I could not write in the darkness though (as I still needed the be able to look at the keyboard).
    But yeah, I could write a little fast and now can't do it anymore.

I thought it was bad idea to use Tarmak as I wasn't a touch typer before, but wanted to do the experiment and see how it goes.
    I think you can get the benefits of Tarmak even if you are like me: a not-so-slow typer (but a not-so-fast one). The only thing I noticed is, when I started Tarmak3, I couldn't write as I did in QWERTY anymore, and was forced to start putting my hands in a good position and get used to having my index fingers in "T" and "N" before start writing.
    It was hard, but I got used to it and now I like it a lot.

I did practice a lot until I reached 98%/40 in each Tarmak step. Actually I reached 100%/54 in Tarmak 3 (that was good luck, I guess).
    My goal was to stick in every step for minimum 1 week, but Tarmak 4 was so easy that I switched to full colemak in 3 days. Now I hate "L" a lot, but I'll get it in any moment.

I think, the reason why I'm having a bad time with full colemak was that my touch typing muscle memory (after Tarmak2) got used to touch type having the "L", "U" and "I" where they are in QWERTY, so I'm kinda overwriting my muscle memory twice in less than two weeks :(.

I was using Amphetype a little and stopped using it, but I'll use it again as a complement.

I'll keep you posted!!

P.S: It took me almost 30 mins to write all this :)

Last edited by Yefb (03-Oct-2014 21:02:13)

Oh, that's interesting. We have been discussing whether Tarmak could be useful to non-touch typists. Your story tells me some contrasting facts:
    (+) As I have suggested, your knowledge of QWERTY key positions made Tarmak helpful for your transition
    (+) At some point (T3) you even started touch typing spontaneously!
    (-) Since this was your first touch typing experience though, some of the transition steps may have been burned in too deeply

When you're settled a little more, please give some more feedback. It's interesting to know a little more when other non-touch typists ask about Tarmak!

I'm getting better progressively, sometimes I get a plateau of 20wpm and sometimes I get a lot of speed with a low accuracy.

...and sometimes, I get things like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/232 … 9%20PM.png

I'll give you more details tomorrow :)

Accuracy, not speed, is the main goal when switching layout. You can always press Backspace faster, but your wrong pattern of touch typing will remain.

I am working on the accuracy thing.

It's hard to improve it, but I'm getting better.
    I can have a chat, can send emails, and in general write all I want without feeling frustrated.

I can say, If I focus on 100% accuracy, I have an average speed of 40wpm. Which is not very fast, but is not so slow either.

I do 100% touch typing, in all letters. But when I have to type a number or special char, I do have to look at the keyboard. Maybe I will fix it in some moths :).

100% is perfection, which is impossible to reach. I think 98% accuracy is more practical and easily achievable.

You are right Tony,

Type-fu does not allow me to go to the next "level" if I don't reach my goal 5 times consecutively. I put a goal of 40wpm/100% and I can't reach that goal with the home row, it's very hard! But if I do it with 98% accuracy as my goal, I reach it with a Speed higher than 50wpm in my first try.

I haven't practiced a lot in almost two weeks, I have had not enough time.
    But will continue working hard on main goal, which is 80wpm. I will be happy with that (I don't need to reach 100wpm to feel good :)).

Hi Guys!
    I'm sorry the delay, but I want to give you a quick update on my migration :).

I finished my migration by October and by November I was able to write in a steady and comfortable way.
    I can type at an average of 70WPM with an accuracy of 98% (I just made three tests, got 78WPM, then 74, then 64, with 98%).
    I feel great that I don't have to look at the keyboard and my left hand is not hurting anymore (as it did before, when I used QWERTY).
    I lost my ability to use Vim, but I'm trying to recover it, like re-learning it.

Now, I had the goal to reach 80WPM, that goal is not as important now, but I'm pretty sure I can get it with a little more of practice. One thing is true: I'm faster than in QWERTY and feel way much better using Colemak.

Thank you too much for Tarmak (which helped me to migrate) and you guys for your support.

Last edited by Yefb (25-Mar-2015 19:41:31)

Go you! Great success there!

Now, would you like to hear about CurlAngleWide Colemak? :-D