• You are not logged in.

Frustration

• Started by Bebef
    • 4 Replies:

Hi everyone!

No, this isn't about how I'm frustrated with colemak itself or having a hard time adopting. Altough i've been using it for only a few hours now I'm already starting to like it :-)

However, what's frustrating are the technical difficulties one does encounter on the way.

Im using a mix of Linux, Windows, Mac and Android (with external keyboard) devices. The way some spechial characters (or better: keys) are handled is inconsistent, sometimes even on the same machine (Linux X11 vs. console).

I managed to get it to work mostly, but the incnsistencies are annoying. The way diareses work is different on each system and i didn't manage to get it to work on the external Android keyboard after all.

I'm trying to hang in there. However, I've expected a somewhat better user experience, to put it that way.

Regards

For external keyboards on Android, install Raid Six Layouts. I've been very happy with the experience of using Colemak on a Bluetooth keyboard using it.

I couldn't get the raid six layout to work. However, External Keyboard Helper did the trick for me.

Also, I've found out that usong the stock layout on Max OS is NOT a good idea.

Bebef said:

Why so?

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

pinkyache said:
    Bebef said:

Why so?

The layout is different in a similar fashion PC and Mac layouts are different. I don't know about US layouts, but the german layouts are quite different beyond standard letters.

However, the Mac OS builtin Colemak is completely different from Windows or Linux when it comes to non standard characters or the dead keys as pointed out in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_ … _AltGr.svg

The layout downloadable for Mac from this page is identical to the Windows or Linux layouts. I installed it to fix those annoyances.

So, if you're using not just a Mac only and have to rely on spechial characters or dead keys it seems to be a good idea not to use the builtin layout.

Last edited by Bebef (13-Dec-2014 11:58:56)