• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • [SOLVED] How to set Italian layout in Windows 7?

[SOLVED] How to set Italian layout in Windows 7?

• Started by Porgy
    • 5 Replies:

Hello everyone!
    I'm having some trouble installing the PKL file in my sister's computer that runs Windows 7 OS. In particular, I need Italian layout that provides easy access to accented vowels such as à è é ì ò ù. How do I activate square and curly brackets? After wrestling with the pkl.ini and layout.ini files for about 40-45 minutes, I gave up.
    Can someone please tell me what exactly should I write in the pkl.ini file for Italian layout? Has DreymaR changed the config files, lately?

Last edited by Porgy (16-Feb-2015 16:09:07)

Yes, I changed them lately. I made a 'latin' layout that may be configured for several latin languages. I struggle with the lack of modularity in PKL...

Try for instance this in your pkl.ini file (if you want a QWERTY on switch):

layout = colemak-eD-Lat_ISO:Colemak[eD]-ISO-It,vk_qwerty_ISO:QWERTY(VK)-ISO

In the PortableKeyboardLayout_DreymaR\layouts\colemak-eD-Lat_ISO\layout.ini file:
    Uncomment all 'It' entries, comment all 'BeCaFr' entries, as seen below

SC01a = OEM_4    4    dk6    dk13    *{Esc}    [    {    ; QWERTY [{ ; Cmk-eD-BeCaFr
    ;SC01a = OEM_4    4    è    é    *{Esc}    [    {    ; QWERTY [{ ; Cmk-eD-It
    ;SC01b = OEM_6    0    ]    }    --    đ    α    ; QWERTY ]} ; Cmk-eD_ISO
    SC01b = OEM_6    0    dk16    №    --    ]    }    ; QWERTY ]} ; Cmk-eD-BeCaFr
    ;SC01b = OEM_6    0    à    ò    --    ]    }    ; QWERTY ]} ; Cmk-eD-It

...becomes this:

;SC01a = OEM_4    4    dk6    dk13    *{Esc}    [    {    ; QWERTY [{ ; Cmk-eD-BeCaFr
    SC01a = OEM_4    4    è    é    *{Esc}    [    {    ; QWERTY [{ ; Cmk-eD-It
    ;SC01b = OEM_6    0    ]    }    --    đ    α    ; QWERTY ]} ; Cmk-eD_ISO
    ;SC01b = OEM_6    0    dk16    №    --    ]    }    ; QWERTY ]} ; Cmk-eD-BeCaFr
    SC01b = OEM_6    0    à    ò    --    ]    }    ; QWERTY ]} ; Cmk-eD-It

...etc for all 'Cmk-eD-It' entries.

For the square and curly brackets in this layout, press and hold AltGr(+Shift).

Should you prefer a dead key approach, use the Spanish/Latin layout instead (same layout file, different uncomments).

Last edited by DreymaR (15-Feb-2015 00:08:34)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Hello DreymaR!
    This forum seems a one man show! ;-)
    Anyway, thank you, that tweak totally worked!

I see you turned around the accented vowels, a little bit… It seems better now, in fact I think I'll switch over to the latest pkl.ini and layout.ini files on my computer (at this point, I'll just copy/paste the folders from my sister's PC!)

Just a last request — how do I keep the CapsLock key? I want it to function as usual i.e. pressing it once to get all capital letters. (For now I feel no need for the extended key).
    To keep CapsLock as usual (for capital letters, only), I just have to comment the following lines right? Do I have to assign any value to disable the extend_key?

;CapsLock = OEM_8    0    --    --    *{CapsLock}    *{LWin}    --    ; Caps Lock
    ; *** Using 'CapsLock' as 'extend_key' works best if it is mapped but otherwise disabled
    ;CapsLock = OEM_CAPITAL    0    --    --    --    --    --    ; CapsLock
    ;CapsLock = BACK    VirtualKey    ; Colemak-style CapsLock -> Backspace
    Last edited by Porgy (15-Feb-2015 16:26:16)

You should uncomment the last of those lines, yes. Also, further up the Caps should be defined as Extend and you'll want to comment that out or set something else there. As explained in my Big Bag (PKL) topic, you could use the value 'disabled' to make it nothing.

Last edited by DreymaR (16-Feb-2015 06:25:05)

DreymaR said:

You should uncomment the last of those lines, yes.

I don't understand…if I uncomment the last line ('CapsLock = BACK    VirtualKey    ; Colemak-style CapsLock -> Backspace'), then I'll have a Backspace, not the usual, QWERTY-style, all-Caps key, which is what I want!
    Anyway, I tried it out and it's working the way I wanted it. I also 'disabled' the extend_key.

Thank you for your help, DreymaR! Keep up the great job you are single-handedly doing on this forum. Have a nice day!
    (marking the thread as SOLVED)

Last edited by Porgy (16-Feb-2015 16:08:18)

Oh right, sorry, didn't read well enough. Sure, no mappings at all will pass the key straight through so it works as usual.

• Index
      • Technical
      • [SOLVED] How to set Italian layout in Windows 7?