• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • permantly change keyboard layout to colemak on windows

permantly change keyboard layout to colemak on windows

• Started by synbitz
    • 9 Replies:

im getting very annoyed to continualy having to change the keyboard layout at the login scrreeen and when i open a new application, is there a way to set the system to use colemak as default?

In the Text Services and Input Languages dialog, there's a dropdown for defvult input language. It's a bit harder to set the login screen's layout to Colemak. I used a solution I found on Stack overflow, which I can't remember the details of right now.

First, add the new layout/language in your session, then log out. On the welcome screen, there should be a keyboard button where you can now select your layout. Make sure your account is a normal user and not a limited-rights one.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Please change the subject line, to reflect your Windows version.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

As a side note, I use a password that is QWERTY/Colemak ambivalent. In other words, my password uses the common keys between QWERTY and Colemak, just in case I change it to QWERTY for my wife and then forget when I log out (or I have to tell someone my password for them to type it in). This may be a partial solution for you.

Last edited by jonhines (20-Apr-2015 15:20:27)
    jonhines said:

As a side note, I use a password that is QWERTY/Colemak ambivalent. In other words, my password uses the common keys between QWERTY and Colemak, just in case I change it to QWERTY for my wife and then forget when I log out (or I have to tell someone my password for them to type it in). This may be a partial solution for you.

I wouldn't do that -- it reduces the entropy per character of your password something terrible.

jfmcbrayer said:
    jonhines said:

I wouldn't do that -- it reduces the entropy per character of your password something terrible.

Could be worse - if you were a dvorak user, you would only have the A and M keys to create a password from!

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

I think AAAMmmamMMaAmAAMMMaaMaA would be a good password.

Seriously, though. Does it really matter? It's not like I publish on my computer (or post on internet forums) that my password is as such. A password breaker would still have to attempt all letters. Or, am I wrong?

I actually have no idea.

jfmcbrayer said:
    jonhines said:

As a side note, I use a password that is QWERTY/Colemak ambivalent [...]

That'd only really matter if you did something stupid to disclose the information, like, oh, say,

post it on a forum somewhere... 

But pfff, who'd do that, right? ;-)

No, in theory jonhines should be safe. I don't think many hackers would sniff around forums for password hints and then tune their password attacks accordingly. It's probably more about brute force bots anyway?

Last edited by DreymaR (21-Apr-2015 21:44:26)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Seems pretty silly to me.  But hey, each to their own.

If you use dictionary words within the password, then the subset of possibilities is reduced dramatically.  Having said that, I'm sure you could be inventive.  Just hack up, combine words, and sprinkle in some other characters.

For Dvorak/Qwerty you get a,m lower and upper case and the number row and some funny characters.

--
    Physicians deafen our ears with the Honorificabilitudinitatibus of their heavenly Panacaea, their sovereign Guiacum.

• Index
      • Technical
      • permantly change keyboard layout to colemak on windows