• You are not logged in.

For Mac users: Colemak D-H curl, Tarmak, angle/wide and extend

• Started by mkborregaard
  • 35 Replies:
DreymaR said:

Also, since there's now a new Curl(DH) mod to rule them all and in the dorkness bind them... any takers for the Mac implementation of that? :-)

A user previously contributed this for the original DH
https://github.com/ColemakMods/mod-dh/tree/master/OS_X

I assume it would be a good starting point as all that would be needed is an M-K switch.

Last edited by stevep99 (19-May-2017 18:30:22)

Using Colemak Mod-DH with some additional ergonomic keyboard mods.

Certainly nice work by 39aldo39 there! However, it's only Colemak and not the Tarmak layouts or more importantly, Extend!

Apparently, Extend is still broken for Mac after OSX Sierra. Too bad.

Hey there. Do you think this is possible to implement with the recent changes made to karabiner-elements? (They added 'complex-modifications' support)
Do you have time to dig into this? Perhaps I could help by any means?

* docs: https://github.com/tekezo/Karabiner-Ele … ifications
* complex mods repo: https://github.com/pqrs-org/KE-complex_modifications

Or did you find any other solution to this? I miss extend so hard, since I switched to macOS. This is killing my experience :(((

I feel your pain. Extend is a habit-forming drug...!

I'm not a Mac user, but I'm tempted to look into it. However, my hands are more than full so I have no idea when I might be able to get around to it.

Meanwhile, if you can afford a Hasu USB-2-USB device or have the skillz to hook up a microcontroller yourself it'll save you (unless you use a Bluetooth keyboard and can't intervene a USB device). That's what saves me at work where the IT department has total paranoia.

Last edited by DreymaR (04-Jul-2017 08:37:54)

Where can I get this device and how can I use it to get extend working?
EDIT: I have found it on this forum, thanks. But I am using a Macbook Pro. So it would confuse me rather more, because I constantly switch between laptop and my mechanical keyboard at the docking station.

I think I will fiddle around with the new karabiner complex modifications then. Perhaps I can find a solution to this. (Navigation layer only first.)

Last edited by uloco (04-Jul-2017 13:53:38)

Best of luck!

While I think it'd be possible to get used to having Extend on the mech board and not on the laptop board, I agree that it'd be confusing. With my TMK files it'd be possible to make an Extend-only device so you could use the same layout otherwise. But yeah, I feel your pain.

I have created a modifications file for Karabiner-Elements which implements Extend here. Open

karabiner://karabiner/assets/complex_modifications/import?url=https://gist.githubusercontent.com/39aldo39/72cd3af3e90ce70b5f1257e815ad912a/raw/52475bf5ed4565f5ab21ac889d29db21420decdf/extend.json

in a web browser to import it directly in Karabiner. (It is not allowed to use non-http protocols in links.) It is still needed to set an extend key in the simple modifications tab with 'to key' as 'fn'. It works independent from the layout, which is nice. The modifiers where a bit tricky to implement, since they remove the extend key. But they work by defining them as modifier+extend. Mouse keys aren't supported by Karabiner-Elements though.

Last edited by 39aldo39 (07-Jul-2017 19:34:38)
39aldo39 said:

I have created a modifications file for Karabiner-Elements which implements Extend here. Click here to import it directly in Karabiner.

Aldo, that's great! I'm not so clever at reading json code, but I take it you implemented the standard Extend1 layer minus mouse keys then?

Maybe we should think up something practical to put on the missing keys, then. There's a pair or two of up-down keys and a horizontal block begging for some love. If the mousewheel isn't working either (which is a pity), then those keys could be used for the GUI key and something else. Tempting to put GUI on W for "Win key" but more logical to put it on R in line with the other modifiers. W could be a configurable user key. I'm tempted to say "Close" but that's too catastrophe-prone. Ctrl-T is a nice combo for opening new tabs; maybe people would like to have that handy.

What else, I wonder?

Last edited by DreymaR (07-Jul-2017 16:46:18)

I implemented the standard Extend1 layer minus mouse keys and mousewheels. Those keys can be mapped to something different, but Karabiner-Elements still adds features which stopped working with Sierra. So, they will be probably supported after some time. But they can be mapped to something different in the meantime, of course. However, the GUI key is already mapped as CMD (Ctrl has moved to Q) and other CMD combos aren't really needed imo, since the CMD is on a nice position.

What I'd do then, is to map an extra pair of Up/Down to the mouse wheel Extend keys (W/R) as they do a bit of the same when scrolling. I think I did that for my TMK files.

For the mouse movement keys, maybe Ctrl+Left/Right/Up/Down for now? Those can be handy and this way reduces chording a bit (at the cost of stretching). They'll be remapped when the proper mouse keys are back up, so it's no biggie anyway. But that's a good placeholder I think.

Not sure what to do with the buttons 1/2/3 then. Button 1 can be Space for now, as normal Space is missing in the Extend layer and it can be handy in some dialogues. Button 2 can be an extra Menu key as that is often its function. Then I'd make Button 3 into Ctrl+T as mentioned, as a middle click will sometimes make a new tab.

Did you lose Esc on Q? I find that very convenient indeed, not only for Vim but for dialogs too! Any other deviations?

• Han

This is really cool! Thanks a lot!! I'll try it out when on my mac at work tomorrow. But I see you're using the 'fn' key as the key to make a switch to the extend layer. Is that a personal preference, or is it impossible to use the caps lock as the access to extend?

Edit: I first tried replacing "fn" with "caps_lock", that worked, sort of, but for every key I had to re-press caps_lock, not so practical. But just by adding the additional mapping of caps_lock to fn, I solved it. (combination like shift+option+arrow are now comfortable again)

Last edited by Han (13-Sep-2017 10:47:56)