• You are not logged in.

tarmak-cli - A script to install Tarmak for Linux terminals

• Started by azmr
    • 3 Replies:

Hi everyone,

I came across Colemak ages ago, but only got around to learning it a week or so ago. As I was looking around the resources, I came across Tarmak, which suits my particular needs and with which you're probably all familiar.

It was easy to set up for my Windows PC, but I also have an old, low performance laptop that's running on the Linux command line.

I didn't find any instructions for this, so I played about a bit with the keymaps and figured out a functional way to change the keys to what I wanted. I made a script to automate the process both for myself and (mostly) for anyone else in the same predicament. In its current state, it uses the ETROI progression and only changes the letter characters and (semi-)colon, leaving the other (symbol) keys as they are on your current keyboard.

Who this is for: people using the actual terminal CLI on Linux who want to use Tarmak. It should also work (possibly with some minor tweaks) on BSD and (maybe?) Mac. I don't know if it works with a terminal emulator.

You can find the script and extra info at: https://github.com/azmr/tarmak-cli

Hopefully this is useful for someone.

If anyone has any feedback, I'd be really keen to hear it.

Andrew

Last edited by azmr (27-May-2015 16:47:20)

Nice! I haven't used the terminal much, but I've heard others ask about it.

*Scratches head* ... but what if someone wants a CurlAngleWide Tarmak? Hehe.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thanks! It's fairly niche, but hopefully it will help someone out...

That was a project with pretty limited scope, but I'm working on a more generalised CLI keyboard layout configuration and displayer (comparable to PKL), so that should cover your preferred keyboard ;)

I'll post it here when that's ready.

Oh – really?

One very nice thing is if you can impose various key code remappings independent of the key-to-character mappings. And if all of those could be modular. That way you could have a Colemak layout, put Curl on it and then AngleWide. Or you could make just an Angle or Wide QWERTY if you wanted, with the same components.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***