• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • [SOLVED] 'permission denied' when installing Colemak in Debian KDE?

[SOLVED] 'permission denied' when installing Colemak in Debian KDE?

• Started by Porgy
    • 21 Replies:

Hello all!

I've downloaded Dreymar's zip file from his Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks (Linux/XKB files included)!. I first extracted the contents of the zip archive in my ~/Downloads path, then, with root privileges, launched

$> ./install-dreymar-xmod.sh -ox 

as per instructions, but I got back an error msg:

root@aliquis:/home/guest/Downloads/dreymar_x-mod# ./install-dreymar-xmod.sh -ox
    -su: ./install-dreymar-xmod.sh: Permission denied

So I moved the extracted folder to 'Home' and tried again, with root privileges. Got back the same error:

root@aliquis:/home/guest/dreymar_x-mod# ./install-dreymar-xmod.sh -ox
    -su: ./install-dreymar-xmod.sh: Permission denied
    root@aliquis:/home/guest/dreymar_x-mod# 

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
    Please help me, typing in QWERTY is such a pain, when you've got used to Colemak...

EDIT: original question/title was 'permission denied' when installing Colemak system-wide in Debian KDE?; modified after adding tag [SOLVED] due to limits to number of characters.

Last edited by Porgy (10-Jul-2015 11:35:47)

Hi, Porgy! :-)

Hmmm, you probably shouldn't run the script as root but use sudo; that's what I do at least. Ownership and privileges can be finicky stuff. It could be that you've done something to the x11/xkb files that changed their privileges (be wary of that!); if so, you could try reinstalling the xkb package from repository.

If this doesn't work for you, you could try a local install instead with the -i <dir> option (and use the -d <dir> option with the setxkb script if you want to source that in your ~/.bashrc or similar).

Last edited by DreymaR (03-Jul-2015 20:31:41)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Could be you need to:

chmod u+x ./install-dreymar-xmod.sh

Zip files have been known to lose information on unix file permissions.

Last edited by stevep99 (04-Jul-2015 11:54:56)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Yeah, but the sudo should take care of that. Not sure actually, I think I made that script so that it calls sudo itself where necessary, in which case with the proper permissions you could run it without sudo in front; but then it'd still ask for your password.

Hello again,
    Thank you all for all your suggestions. Unfortunately I'm still unable to install Colemak system-wide. Here's the terminal output of all the commands I've tried.

guest@aliquis:~/dreymar_x-mod$ pwd
    /home/guest/dreymar_x-mod
    guest@aliquis:~/dreymar_x-mod$ sudo ./install-dreymar-xmod.ch -ox
    bash: sudo: command not found
    guest@aliquis:~/dreymar_x-mod$ chmod u+x ./install-dreymar-xmod.sh -ox
    chmod: invalid mode: `-ox'
    Try `chmod --help' for more information.
    guest@aliquis:~/dreymar_x-mod$ su -
    Password: 
    root@aliquis:~# pwd
    /root
    root@aliquis:~# cd /home/guest/dreymar_x-mod
    root@aliquis:/home/guest/dreymar_x-mod# chmod u+x ./install-dreymar-xmod.sh -ox
    chmod: invalid mode: `-ox'
    Try `chmod --help' for more information.
    root@aliquis:/home/guest/dreymar_x-mod# chmod u+x ./install-dreymar-xmod.sh
    root@aliquis:/home/guest/dreymar_x-mod#

The last command is what was suggested by stevep99. I thought it worked but when I restarted the system and had to login with username and password, it was again old QWERTY.
    Any other idea? (I'm just following your hints, I think it's been a year since I last turned on Debian…)

Last edited by Porgy (04-Jul-2015 15:09:35)

Oh. Here's what you did:
    1) Tried to sudo (super user) run the script; but you didn't have sudo installed. Try the command 'apt-get install sudo' and add yourself as a sudo user if you want to try again – see http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/sudo.htm
    2) Tried chmod to set privileges for the script, but included the switches '-ox' which are used when running the script. The chmod command doesn't use those switches, so it failed.
    3) Changed to root. This is what I suggested you should not do for installing. But it may be okay. What you did after was okay at any rate, since you only changed some privileges.
    4) Made another attempt at chmod with the script's switches
    4) Finally changed privileges correctly with chmod (as root)

So what you may have achieved so far, is to set the privileges for the script as suggested by stevep99. What you have not yet done, is actually run the script again like you did in your first post!

Also note that even if you do get the mod installed you'll have to activate the layout and model at startup, which is easily done by sourcing the setxkb script in your ~/.bashrc file for instance. Or set the layout in the system keyboard settings GUI once it's installed (but you can't do the model there I think; I don't know the KDE settings GUI though).

Last edited by DreymaR (04-Jul-2015 15:22:43)

DreymaR said:

[...] you didn't have sudo installed. Try the command 'apt-get install sudo' and add yourself as a sudo user if you want to try again – see http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/sudo.htm

I've tried to install 'sudo' and then execute the script. Here's the output:

guest@aliquis:~/dreymar_x-mod$ ls
    docs_dreymar-xmod        README_dreymar-xmod.txt   x-mod_v2-12-1_2015-05-15
    dreymar-xtools           setxkb.sh
    install-dreymar-xmod.sh  x-bak_v2-12-1_2014-08-06
    guest@aliquis:~/dreymar_x-mod$ sudo bash install-dreymar-xmod.sh -ox

@@@ DreymaR's Big Bag Of Tricks install script (by GadOE, 2015-01) @@@

¤ Found mod root dir './x-mod_v2-12-1_2015-05-15'
    ¤ Subdirectories to mod: 'xkb'
    ¤ Looking for 'xkb' backup in '/usr/share/X11'...
    ¤ Backing up: 'xkb'
    ¤ Replacing files in '/usr/share/X11/xkb' with mod
    install-dreymar-xmod.sh: line 228: ./setxkb.sh: Permission denied

@@@ install-dreymar-xmod.sh - ERROR: setxkb.sh failed! @@@

guest@aliquis:~/dreymar_x-mod$ 

What did I mistake now? As mentioned earlier, I'm pretty rusty with Debian so please tell me exactly what commands I must type in Terminal to install this software.

-----------------------
               EDIT:             
    -----------------------
    Here's the other way round

guest@aliquis:~/dreymar_x-mod$ chmod u+x ./install-dreymar-xmod.sh 
    guest@aliquis:~/dreymar_x-mod$ ./install-dreymar-xmod.sh 

@@@ DreymaR's Big Bag Of Tricks install script (by GadOE, 2015-01) @@@

¤ Found mod root dir './x-mod_v2-12-1_2015-05-15'
    ¤ Subdirectories to mod: 'xkb'
    ¤ Looking for 'xkb' backup in '/usr/share/X11'...
    ¤ Backing up: None
    ¤ Installing mod files in '/home/guest/drey-xmod/dmod-xkb'

@@@ XKBmap activation skipped @@@

@@@ install-dreymar-xmod.sh finished! @@@

Now, I suppose I must restart the computer and then configure it? I need the Italian AngleWide layout so what shoud I write in the terminal and in which file (/etc/...<somefile>) ?

Last edited by Porgy (06-Jul-2015 08:07:03)

So, it must've been about the permissions for the scripts after unzipping then. Maybe you unzipped them as root. Because now you've got the rights to run the install script (because of that chmod you did in your previous post) – but you still lack the permissions for the setxkb script that activates layouts! Maybe you should try a spot of chmod magic on that script too, if you want to use it. Don't worry, you seem to have done your install and the only thing that didn't take was the layout activation at the end.

All that script does though, is run setxkbmap with default settings or ones given by the option strings. There's a shorthand notation that can be handy for manual use; see the script's comments if you want. But you could use setxkbmap directly or set your keyboard in other ways instead.

Italian Colemak[eD] should now be available in your keyboard settings GUI after a restart. If you use the setxkbmap command, you're after "-l it(cmk_ed_us)" as your layout, for the "US" variant.

AngleWide is more tricky, if keyboard models aren't selectable in your settings GUI. You'll need to set the "pc105awide-sl" model in your /etc/default/keyboard file and if that's not enough I'd run the setxkb script or the setxkbmap command at each logon (as mentioned, by calling them from your .bashrc file).

That's what I do these days, as sometimes the system settings give me a hard time. I just run setxkb at logon and everything's in place without any fudging.

I'm almost there!
    So, to get Italian layout I gave this cmd:

guest@aliquis:~/dreymar_x-mod$ ./setxkb.sh -l "it(cmk_ed_us)"

@@@ DreymaR's setxkbmap script (by GadOE, 2015-01) @@@

¤ Changed dir to '/usr/share/X11/xkb'
    ¤ Looking for and removing any old .xkm server files
    ¤ Running setxkbmap:

Setting verbose level to 9
    locale is C
    Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard model
             Using command line, ignoring X server
    Warning! Multiple definitions of keyboard layout
             Using command line, ignoring X server
    Trying to load rules file ./rules/evdev...
    Success.
    Applied rules from evdev:
    rules:      evdev
    model:      pc105awide-sl
    layout:     it(cmk_ed_us)
    options:    misc:extend,lv5:caps_switch_lock,grp:shifts_toggle,compose:menu
    Trying to build keymap using the following components:
    keycodes:   evdev(pc105awide-sl)+aliases(qwerty)
    types:      complete
    compat:     complete
    symbols:    pc+it(cmk_ed_us)+inet(evdev)+group(shifts_toggle)+compose(menu)+level5(caps_switch_lock)+extend(basic)
    geometry:   pc(pc105awide-sl)

¤ Changed dir to '/home/guest/dreymar_x-mod'

@@@ setxkb.sh finished! @@@

However some keys are wrong ('g' instead of 'd', 'b' instead of 'g'), the entire right hand has shifted one key-line to the right, left Ctrl key is like dead therefore I can't copy/paste, I'm in doubt whether this Colemak at all! In place of QWERTY "y h b n" there are "è à \ ù". I suppose I need the Italian 'Keep Local Symbols' Colemak[eD] as seen in this thread. Can you help me? Typing in this condition is hard!

Oops! But you're getting close now. :-)

You've got that new hobby of mine, the DH ergo mod. Sorry, I must've forgotten to switch that off. In the xkb files you downloaded, edit xkb/symbols/colemak and find these lines:

// NOTE: These are the lighter Curl-Dbg/Hk Colemak ergo mods, keeping V and M in place.
        include "colemak(cmk-dbg_ed)"
        include "colemak(cmk-hk_ed)"

The include lines need to be commented out with // like the first line is. Then reinstall with the install script.

It's a good mod, but you don't want it (yet) I guess. ;-)

Yes, everything on the right hand is shifted one key to the right. You said you wanted AngleWide; that's the Wide part. The old YHBN keys are now []_\ (which Colemak[eD]-It(US) remaps to the Italian special keys). Did you want only Angle? If so, use the "angle-lg" keyboard model instead.

If you really want "keep local symbols" instead of "unified symbols" (it's not as good!), use the 'it(cmk_ed_ks)' layout instead of 'it(cmk_ed_us)'.

Last edited by DreymaR (04-Jul-2015 20:05:41)

Hello again Dreymar,
    Thank you for addressing my problem.
    I'd like to select the Italian Colemak keyboard layout that has "ù ì" reachable with the left-hand pinky finger and "è à é ò" on the right-hand pinky finger. Is that the 'us' (unified symbols) version? If so, should I write: ./setxkb.sh -l "it(cmk_ed_us)" during installation? If not, what should I type?

Also, I'd like to have the Caps-Lock key on the left hand. I remember uncommenting "CapsLock = OEM_CAPITAL" in the Windows' layout.ini file to activate it as a capital letter key. I don't want Caps Lock to be disabled or behave as Backspace, I want it to be the capitalization key– how do I do that in Linux?

Finally, I want that Debian (my Linux distro) "remembers" colemak even after a shutdown. Do I have to redo the entire install from the /usr/share/X11 path? Or do I use root privileges to move the installation folder to that path? (So far, my system's GUI hasn't picked up "Colemak" layout among the keyboard's settings, is that normal for a system-wide installation?)

Last edited by Porgy (06-Jul-2015 19:22:42)

You have to read a little on your own too. In the Locale topic you see which is which layout. In the Big Bag topic you see how to activate the layout. Please read all that.

DreymaR said:

In the Locale topic you see which is which layout. In the Big Bag topic you see how to activate the layout. Please read all that.

Ok, so after reading all the important parts (hopefully I haven't skipped anything vital! Too much to read...) this is what my /etc/default/keyboard file looks like at login

# KEYBOARD CONFIGURATION FILE

# Consult the keyboard(5) manual page.

XKBMODEL="pc105"
    XKBLAYOUT="it"
    XKBVARIANT=""
    XKBOPTIONS=""

BACKSPACE="guess"

As you can see, my laptop has a pc105 keyboard. Now, in Win7, I believe I'm using the Italian 'Unified Symbols' Colemak[eD] which means 2 things: (1) the Lesser/Greater key placed between the Left Shift and letter 'Z' allows me to type ì and ù; (2) the two bracket keys '[  ]' cover the remaining Italian accented vowels: è é, à ò . I'd like to have the same layout in Debian too but for some unknown reason, Debian is not allowing me to choose Colemak through its GUI "System settings > keyboard layout" settings -- the option is nowhere to be found. I don't know if this is caused by the GNOME desktop environment (I was already thinking of installing LXDE soon after configuring Colemak properly).

As to the "Curl-Dbg/Hk" layout, even after commenting those 2 lines in the xkb/symbols/colemak file, the 'B' and 'G' and other letters are swapped. I'll give it another try but I'm pessimist regarding the results. Also, I'm not sure how to 'play' around from CLI, with the different options and layouts since there's no guide explaining what exactly to type. Things are further complicated by the fact that I'm a simple Linux end-user not a coder therefore I'm not used to the programmers' lingo.
    In the Big Bag of tricks thread, below section [3.1] LOCALE COLEMAK[eD] VARIANTS AND PHONETIC COLEMAK LAYOUTS, the How to says:

You can select any layout from the normal layout chooser – enter your language in the search field to narrow it down. There are three types:
    • "Unified symbols" (cmk_ed_us) layouts, using the US-like symbol mappings that I recommend; these give the full Colemak[eD] experience
    • "Keep local symbols" (cmk_ed_ks) layouts, if you don't want to change the symbol mappings from your locale but just the letter keys (and semicolon)
    [...]

What search field? I don't see any search fields...I've been doing everything from terminal! Do you have a shortlist of configuration commands?

-------------------
            EDIT     
    -------------------
    I decided to change desktop manager and switch from GNOME to KDE, just to see if KDE had detected the installed scripts, and…ta-daa! See picture below. However I must still complain that the following letters are misplaced among themselves (all the other letters, including the accented vowels, are fine): b g d k h. In fact instead of the Colemak 'g' I get 'b', in place of 'b' I have 'd', 'h' and 'k' are in each other's place, pressing 'd' gives me 'g'…so annoying! Can you help me root out the mistakes?

34xi9za.jpg

Last edited by Porgy (09-Jul-2015 11:15:12)

Okay, you're using the Colemak[eD] Unified Symbols (US) layout then, from PKL. I remember making it for you, we just got ourselves a little confused here.

You don't want a Wide keyboard but I think you do want the Angle mod? In that case, use XKBMODEL = "pc105angle-lg"

You want xkblayout "it" like you used, but also xkbvariant "cmk_ed_us". If you want to use Extend, you'll also need some xkboptions for that ("misc:extend,lv5:caps_switch_lock").

So, your Debian doesn't seem to have the GUI "normal layout chooser" I'm referring to then? Then that last part won't help us at all so ignore that please. Or rather, it didn't pick up on your installed layouts? Well, nevermind. (Actually, the XFCE chooser has the possibility to select model if I remember correctly, so that's better than the Unity and GNOME ones at the moment!)

If you commented out the 2 Curl lines in the downloaded folder, and then installed with the install script again then I wonder that it didn't help. There may be xkb server files that need to be deleted after a change, but the install script should take care of those.

Yes, I know that it isn't easy to be a mere mortal user in a brave Linux world. I'm often there myself, searching the net for clues and fiddling around, partly annoyed and partly amused (because I'm perverse and love pain I guess). Sorry if something is still unclear – and thank you for telling me so I can try to make it clearer!

Hang in there, I'm sure it'll be working soon! :-)

Last edited by DreymaR (08-Jul-2015 17:59:39)

Hello again,
    I'm now using KDE desktop manager because GNOME wasn't showing me any GUI alternative, indeed I just uninstalled that DM and put LXDE (I haven't tried it yet, I'm hoping it doesn't create problems as GNOME did, although I suspect KDE has the upper-hand having being installed from CD).

Regarding the keyboard, I'm fine with a "generic pc105" by Intel, therefore no Angle/Wide keyboard; the Colemak layout is 'it(cmk_ed_us)'.

I still have to figure out how to:

1. get the Caps Lock to work,

2. get the 'right-click menu' key between AltGr and Right Ctrl, to work

3. order the 'b g d k h' keys

This last one seems both more urgent and important, so I'll try to fix that now.
    In my file system, I've seen there's a 'colemak' file in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/. This file doesn't have those mild-Curl layout lines commented. If I change them (with root privileges), do I risk breaking my system?

---------EDIT-----------

1. get the Caps Lock to work,

2. get the 'right-click menu' key between AltGr and Right Ctrl, to work

3. order the 'b g d k h' keys  → YES! I commented those two line, didn't need to re-install from script, just rebooted the system and…all letters are back to their places!

Two more to go. What option must I type to use Caps Lock as itself (not as a dead key)?

------UPDATE----------
    Nope, LXDE is just like GNOME, it doesn't switch off to Colemak layout, only KDE does. I don't know why…

Last edited by Porgy (09-Jul-2015 11:52:53)
    1. get the Caps Lock to work, (fixed via "System settings > Keyboard settings")

2. get the 'right-click menu' key between AltGr and Right Ctrl, to work (same as above)

3. order the 'b g d k h' keys (commented 2 'Curl-Dbg/Hk' lines in file /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/colemak)

Unable as I was to set the desired functionality of caps lock key via CLI, I resorted to the GUI provided by Debian's KDE. The "Advanced" tab lists all sorts of specifics; among them I ticked the 'Caps Lock toggles normal capitalization of alphabetic characters' and un-ticked 'Caps Lock chooses 5th level when pressed together with another 5th-level-chooser' and 'Enable level 5 Extend mappings (home position arrows etc)'. Upon reboot Caps lock was working as expected. The Menu key is also in the list and it is presently set as Compose key.
    2ztlq2w.jpg

Prior to that I had tried different options from Terminal but clearly the cmds weren't getting through:

guest@aliquis:~/dreymar_x-mod$ sudo ./setxkb.sh -o 'lv5:caps_switch_lock(none)'
    guest@aliquis:~/dreymar_x-mod$ sudo ./setxkb.sh -o 'lv5:capslock(none)'
    guest@aliquis:~/dreymar_x-mod$ sudo ./setxkb.sh -o 'lv5:caps_switch_lock(none)' -s '5n it us'

The Terminal responded along these lines:

@@@ DreymaR's setxkbmap script (by GadOE, 2015-01) @@@

¤ Changed dir to '/usr/share/X11/xkb'
    ¤ Looking for and removing any old .xkm server files
    No protocol specified
    Cannot open display ":0"
    ¤ Running setxkbmap:

Setting verbose level to 9
    No protocol specified
    Cannot open display ":0"

¤ Changed dir to '/home/guest/dreymar_x-mod'

@@@ setxkb.sh finished! @@@

From the 'man ./setxkb.sh' I think I should have passed a 'misc:…' option but then again, what exactly should I have written to enable Caps lock as capitalization key?

Last edited by Porgy (10-Jul-2015 10:55:31)

For anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation,

• download Dreymar's zip file from his Big Bag of Tricks (for Linux) thread (it's in section [5.1] DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL),

• unzip it in your /home/user-name/ (or any other path) folder,

• as of July '15, in the unzipped folder find the [...]/xkb/symbols/colemak file and comment the following 2 lines with '//':

// NOTE: These are the lighter Curl-Dbg/Hk Colemak ergo mods, keeping V and M in place.
          include "colemak(cmk-dbg_ed)"
          include "colemak(cmk-hk_ed)"
    • Start the Terminal, set the permission to the installing scripts and 'install' them:

$ chmod u+x ./install-dreymar-xmod.sh 
      $ ./install-dreymar-xmod.sh -ox 
      $ chmod u+x ./setxkb.sh 
      $ ./setxkb.sh -l "it(cmk_ed_us)"

Careful! I wanted to install it system-wide that's why I typed the handle '-ox', if you have other plans, read the instructions in section [5.1] DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL. Notice that "-l it(cmk_ed_us)" is to set the layout of the keyboard to Italian Colemak[eD] Unified Symbols (that's what 'us' stands for): you maybe needing some other language (no, gr, es …) so maybe read through 'man ./setxkb.sh' first or the Locale Variants thread.

• A reboot may be required at this point. On login, choose your MAIN Desktop Environment session, for me it's KDE.

• Go to your System's Keyboard settings and pick the Hardware, Layout and Advanced features, all via comfortable GUI. For me, it was Generic Intel 105 keyboard (no Angle/Wide/extended stuff), Italian Colemak unified symbols, Caps Lock as simple capitalization of alphanumeric characters.

That's it! Thanks to Dreymar and Stevep99 for their useful input and time. I'm now marking the question as 'SOLVED'.

Last edited by Porgy (10-Jul-2015 11:37:46)
    DreymaR said:

Hi, Porgy! :-)
    Ownership and privileges can be finicky stuff. It could be that you've done something to the x11/xkb files that changed their privileges (be wary of that!)

X11 and xkb are finicky stuff, for sure :-(  I had to chroot into my system 4 times (!) last night - yes I'm dumb... I had changed some layouts in xkb, and then could no longer log into the system because the keyboard did nothing......

- first try: inspect the xbk-files, no mistakes to be seen ?  Hmm... perhaps it's something in my .bashrc ? I have some aliases to point to layouts....  OK, let's put the old bashrc back (from /etc/skel )  --> fail
    - 2nd try: hmmm...let's bypass the Slim Login screen, maybe that helps?  --> fail
    - 3rd try: grrrr..... I delete the complete layout that I worked on --> fail
    - 4th try: OK, OK, I just delete a whole bunch of layouts, only keep some standard ones. I'm done with this --> success

The thing is, even if I don't use a specific layout, let's say Capewell, if I mess up that xkb layout, my keyboard won't work. I guess all layouts are loaded into RAM when the X-server starts at boot, so one tiny mistake will block keyboard use..... (or something like that). If this is true, I'd better put all layouts that I don't use in some archive, so that only the layouts I use are loaded into RAM....

Am I on the right track here?

Yes Pieter, sort of. Whenever the xkb server is recompiled, any code errors may break the rebuild and you won't get it to work. It's delicate.

Porgy: Glad you got it to work. Congratulations! You have taken great steps toward Linux mastery in the process, too. ;-)

You made some weird mistakes up there (such as your calls to setxkb.sh – no idea where you got those ideas from and maybe you should delete that so you don't confuse others with it?), but it worked in the end which is the main point.

I told you to change your symbols/colemak file and then reinstall from script so you wouldn't have to mess with system files (needing root access and making crash-inducing mistakes possible). You solved your problem in the end, but in a more dangerous and, to me, harder way. Anyway, sorry I had forgotten to comment out those lines myself before uploading... :-p

Your Caps was never set as a dead key. Dead keys are keys that you press and let go before hitting another key that releases the effect; this is also called 'latch modifiers'. The Caps setting I suggested is a switch behavior, similar to a Shift key.

Last edited by DreymaR (10-Jul-2015 22:38:45)

DreymaR said:

Your Caps was never set as a dead key. Dead keys are keys that you press and let go before hitting another key that releases the effect; this is also called 'latch modifiers'. The Caps setting I suggested is a switch behavior, similar to a Shift key.

Just out of curiosity DreymaR, what should I have typed in CLI to allow Caps Lock to toggle capital letters?

pieter said:

I'd better put all layouts that I don't use in some archive, so that only the layouts I use are loaded into RAM....

Am I on the right track here?

@pieter, I don't how to help you in that, sorry! Maybe you should open a new thread and describe the details of your problem?

Sorry, but I'm tired and this is a Linux question not a DreymaR question. Anyone else want to help out the Linux newb, please?

[edit:]
    Oh, I guess you meant how could you run the setxkb script without invoking the change in capslock behavior? That's a DreymaR question all right. Otherwise, the 'capslock:capslock' option to the setxkbmap command is what tells Caps to behave as usual. But my setxkb script, by default, activates Extend instead. Try running it with -o '', or with any options you do want such as -o "compose:menu,grp:shifts_toggle". For the Colemak way, use -o "capslock:backspace".

The two options I've added are:
    misc:extend – this turns the level5–8 mappings (not normally in use) into my Extend layer
    lv5:caps_switch_lock – this turns the CapsLock key into a shift-type "switch" modifier for the level5–8 mappings (and a lock if used with another lv5 modifier)

So the misc:extend option shouldn't hurt you, but you don't want my lv5 option. If you run setxkb.sh with another option string, other options will not be set so just do that. Haven't tested whether you can give an empty string though – you might be better off running 'setxkbmap -option ' directly for that purpose.

OK, Linux help to the resuce..   ;-)  Although DreymaR already did the hard stuff :-)

Maybe your user account has different configurations as the root user. Like, different keyboard settings. In that case, if you run a command using sudo you will run it as root BUT with the current user's config settings. If you run as su you will run as root and with root's settings.

Originally (and right so), sudo needs your user password whereas su needs root's password. However, in Ubuntu and it's forks, su is disabled. If you need a proper su, you must first enable it. Google is your friend.

If you want to use su (in other words: run as root) AND be able to use your users' settings (which are usually settings in the graphical environment, read X settings), a solution is the command sux  I see you (Porgy) are running Debian. sux used to be in Debian, but I understand that it is no longer maintained....so it's only in the older repos (Squeez I guess). Anyway, add the squeez repo to your sources list and install sux from there. If you need it.

About the capslock: you mean cli in a virtual terminal I suppose? Such as LXTerminal or Konsole? In that case your X Server is still active, including all xkb stuff.  If you are talking about a console without X, for instance when you are troubleshooting, you killed X and are now in an X-less terminal, then xkb-files won't do a thing. I must still solve this puzzle for myself too, I think you must use loadkeys to remap your keyboard.

Or.... even easier.... heh heh.....a hardware solution. hasu's brilliant hardware usb-usb keyboard converter. The firmware is of course fully user programmable. Stick this in your computer, connect a standard (qwerty)  USB-keyboard to it, and you will type in the layout that you hacve programmed on the converter...... No messing with xkb files (Linux), autohotkey scripts (Windows), Ukelele (OSX), just plug & type :-) 

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0

• Index
      • Technical
      • [SOLVED] 'permission denied' when installing Colemak in Debian KDE?