• You are not logged in.

problem with norwegian letters on windows.

• Started by norcolemak
    • 1 Replies:

On ubuntu the colemak works perfect.Yet i have a problem with windows inability to map the norwegian letters æøå. I have to press alt gr +p, w,x (or something like that). This gives a suboptimal speed and very difficult to write capital letters. I have managed to remap the caps lock with sharpkeys, but i dont see the solution to do this with other keys in the manner i want. When alternating between languages i like the ,;,?,+,_ etc. to be on the qwerty positions.

Hei! :-)

So, in Ubuntu you use the no(colemak) layout? Not for instance my Big Bag one?

In that case, you're using what I call the "Keep Local Symbols" layout. There aren't "QWERTY" positions for your symbols as such but I guess you mean the Norwegian QWERTY positions; if that's what you want then "Keep Local Symbols" is your thing.

Indeed, you shouldn't settle for the standard Colemak AltGr mappings! But please read my Big Bag Locale topic to see how I made the Norwegian Colemak as a "Unified Symbols" variant; I really think it's far superior. You'll find a Norwegian Colemak in my PKL files since I'm Norwegian myself; my own default may use the DH-mod now though but you can change the layout file to the layout without that. However, my file also uses the US symbol positions and not the Norwegian QWERTY ones! One way around that is setting all symbol keys to 'virtualkey' (see the vk_ layouts for examples) so the system mappings are used, but then you'll miss out on all the exciting dead keys and stuff. Another way is remapping the whole thing as you want it. I'd still recommend taking another long hard look at my mappings first – they're really quite good! ;-)

Cmk-ISO-eD-No-CurlAWide_90d_FShui.png
        Norwegian Colemak[eD], with some ergo mods (Curl-Angle-Wide) – hence the æøå in the middle instead of at the edges of the board

Last edited by DreymaR (08-Jul-2015 23:07:19)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***