• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Coleman's Colemak.vim support for Fakevim, zsh, and Bash

Coleman's Colemak.vim support for Fakevim, zsh, and Bash

• Started by Akiva
    • 3 Replies:

I use an altered version of an altered version of Coleman's personal layout for vim, and my goal here is to extend this support for bash, zsh, and fakevim. Not familiar with these? Here is a quick synopsis:

Bash - A popular shell that is preinstalled on most *nix. Many people are not aware of Bash's vi mode. To test it out, type "set -o vi".

zsh - A shell that is mostly compatible with Bash, but brings a lot more to the table. I decided to switch to this when I discovered the most recent version (5.0.8) has a proper visual mode, something sorely missing in Bash.

Fakevim - This afaik is a vim container for Qt widgets. Considering I use the Ubuntu SDK to edit (AKA QtCreator), it has a fakevim mode that does its best to try and emulate the vim settings found on your computer. Unfortunately it does not read the colemak.vim plugin so I had to place the bindings in the run configuration.

Most of the support for Bash is done, but its implementation is less than ideal, thanks to quite a few absent functions. While it is quite good all things considering, it is requiring a lot of fake implementations of functionality, such as the change functionality which I had to macro to "ddi" for delete line and insert, or "D$i" for delete till the end of line and insert, etc. There is also many vim features which have no use in Bash's vi mode. New Line for example has no use, and Join while having functionality, works backwards that what Vim would normally do simply because it does not support multi-line editing (afaik). I will have to think of a clever way to implement Newline so it will have some similarity to vim.

zsh on the other hand has been beautiful to work with so far. Its set of functions are far more complete, with far better documentation, with far less redundant functions, and virtually no need for fake implementation. Its syntax for binding keys is also quite stellar, as you can easily and clearly map a function depending on whether you are in INSERT mode, VISUAL mode, or anything else like that. Because it has Multiline editting, Newlines work really well, as does join and mark.

Fakevim... I only have very base functionality so far, and I have only briefly tested editting in it. Its clearly quite unstable and needs some work.

To give all of these a try (ubuntu), just:

sudo apt-get install bzr
    bzr branch lp:colemak.vim

and place the files in your home directory (backing up any previous ones of course.). There is still quite a bit to do, and I will be posting some inquiries as to what certain keys should be mapped too.

https://code.launchpad.net/~akiva/colemak.vim/trunk

Last edited by Akiva (24-Jul-2015 06:26:19)

Hello Akiva, did you see DreymaRs extended layers in his Big Bag of tricks? He mapped the keyboard arrow keys to a second (third ?) layer, could be a nice alternative...

Is this third layer on bash's vi mode?

Post Updated

• Index
      • Technical
      • Coleman's Colemak.vim support for Fakevim, zsh, and Bash