• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Experiences
  • One month with Colemak after 30 years in the wilderness

One month with Colemak after 30 years in the wilderness

• Started by ImpatientGardener
    • 3 Replies:

* What layout you've been using beforehand, and how long you've been typing with it

Touch typing Qwerty with bad technique for 30 years. Typically around 85-90 WPM, but capable of occasional bursts to 100 WPM.

* How long you've been using Colemak for, and how many estimated hours per week you've typed with it.

30 days in, practising for a little over an hour per day.

* Mention the methods you used to learn the layout.

Went cold turkey. Mostly practiced using drills in Master Key. Tiny bit of Amphetype, typeracer.com, 10fastfingers.com.

* What operating system you're using.

OS X and iOS (using Colemak there too).

* If you mention typing speed, mention what way you used to measure it. Use one of the typing tests to measure it.

45.5 WPM, 95.7% accuracy, measured in Amphetype with corpus of common English words.

* Share any tips about learning the layout.

Cold turkey really hurts. After about 3 weeks it starts to feel ok again. I started when I was off from work for a while. In the last week (back at work), I think I've improved quite a bit thanks to the hours of obligatory "practice" each day.

* General comments.

Impatient to get back to my old speed, but happy that progress is happening. Delighted at opportunity to reset and start again without all the bad habits. Suffering in Vim and on the command-line. Wish there was a way to press a button and fast-forward my progress by 6 or 12 months.

One month is not bad for getting up to 45wpm. After 18 months, I'm not up to my old speed, but I'm up to a fully functional 80wpm.

Day 35, Amphetype average over last 10 sessions: 50.6 WPM, 95.4% accuracy

Nice progress! Since you've been quite fast, you'll keep improving rapidly I'm sure.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • Experiences
      • One month with Colemak after 30 years in the wilderness