• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Some keyboard shortcuts on windows don't work (using pkl.exe)

Some keyboard shortcuts on windows don't work (using pkl.exe)

• Started by nue
    • 3 Replies:
    • nue

Hello,

First of all, hello -- I think I've posted before, but it must have been a long long time ago!

I've been a colemak-only user for about 5 years, but since my job now requires more Windows/Office/Excel and less linux/bash/vim I ran into a problem with some keyboard shortcuts.

Specifically, the keyboard shortcut for adding a row in MS Excel is Ctrl+"+". On Colemak, "+" is Shift+"=". However, when I press Ctrl+Shift+"+", it does not work.

Other keyboard shortcuts, such as deleting a row with Ctrl+"-", work properly - the problem appears to be the Shift modifier involved. Even system-specific things like lock screen (Win+L) work, and everything else as well (caps lock as backspace with repeat, ...)

I tried searching the forum for the topic, but to no avail -- I'm guessing it is a known problem though?!

I'm using pkl.exe on Windows (it's a work laptop, can't install anything).

Thank you for your help!

Have you tried changing the shortcut to something else? That might be the easiest solution.

On mine, I go to Tools, Customize Keyboard, Insert, and the Row. It will then let you set your own shortcut.

Last edited by jonhines (14-Jan-2016 21:01:43)
    • nue

Thank you for the suggestion! That's probably the easiest way to solve it!

I alternatively use Alt+H;i;r (as an ardent vim user I don't mind multi-keystroke shortcuts that much :D) but it still would be nice to know what is keeping the "+" from being effective.

Actually, you could probably "change" the shortcut to the same? If it doesn't register the right combination right away, maybe it will allow you to "remap" to that very combination?

You could try fiddling with the PKL layout.ini a bit. A key like =+ should have a line for the =+ key starting like this on an ISO keyboard:

SC00d = OEM_4    0    =    +

Note that zero after the VK name of the key? I don't know if it will affect you, but it means that none of the key mappings are shifted versions of the unshifted mapping (so for a key with the mappings Ww/“‘ it'd be 1; for a key with all-letter mappings like Gg/Ŋŋ it'd be 5 by bit logic etc). Your =+ key should have that zero there.

On an ANSI (US) keyboard, the VirtualKey code is different, namely OEM_PLUS (which is another key on ISO for good measure).

If you want to experiment, try a VirtualKey mapping instead of what you're using, such as this:

SC00d = OEM_PLUS    VirtualKey    ; US =+ (ANSI)

Also, if you're not using Extend for that key and haven't remapped it from your underlying system layout, just comment out this key in layout.ini and see if things improve for you!

Last edited by DreymaR (14-Jan-2016 23:59:43)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • Technical
      • Some keyboard shortcuts on windows don't work (using pkl.exe)