• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Is Colemak Mod DH worth it? [ Part 2 ]... And yes, it is

Is Colemak Mod DH worth it? [ Part 2 ]... And yes, it is

• Started by juice43
    • 1 Replies:

Some of you may remember my first post on this topic.

I switched back to using Windows and my semester is over, so I've been fumbling around again with possible setup improvements.

I looked at the layouts I previously tried on my last try and went for the second one again.

Q W F P B J L U Y
      A R S T G M N E I O
        X C D V Z K H

Corrected thanks to stevep99

It is brilliant once I gave it a couple of days. I feel like my fingers are barely moving for anything.

stevep99 was right on the last thread about your hands beginning to hover over the new position of the D and H.

The angle mod while confusing at first has only added to the comfort, since my hands feel like they are doing a more mirrored motion.

I will say that my speed has been slaughtered. I'm at like 60wpm, down from over 100.

It will come back I'm sure, but as of now the comfort of this mod made me have to back and endorse it.

I will continue to report on my progress.

Last edited by juice43 (16-May-2016 22:24:52)

Colemak typist

Nice, thanks for the report, and glad you are enjoying the D and H!  (Your diagram has two Ms but I assume the one on the lower row should be the H).
    The D and H keys really are fantastic in those positions, it becomes quite rare to have to reach for awkward keys.

The angle mod is arguably trickier to get used to than the new D and H, especially as it involves changes to the cut/copy/paste which are probably stored separately in the brain. But still worth it in the end, even on ANSI keyboard.

Comfort is the main benefit, but do let us know how you progress with speed.  I have levelled off at about 70wpm, my best is 79wpm according to 10fastfingers. Mistakes still the main issue. If you get back to 100wpm with your new layout, that will probably make you the fastest Mod-DH typist in the world :P

Last edited by stevep99 (16-May-2016 15:03:36)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

• Index
      • General
      • Is Colemak Mod DH worth it? [ Part 2 ]... And yes, it is