• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Using Colemak when I share a laptop / use app shortcuts?

Using Colemak when I share a laptop / use app shortcuts?

• Started by nicklear
    • 6 Replies:

Hi, considering learning, current h&p typist, have just started learning touch typing on QWERTY for the last 2 weeks & today I thought I'd look into the alternatives.

My main concerns are:

1) I share the laptop we have with my wife and so I would have to switch the keyboard quite a few times a day realistically. Would it still be worth it? We might have a computer each at some point in time, but I can't guarantee it.

2) I am a video editor with many years of muscle memory built up of keyboard shortcuts. But these are editable within the software so feasibly whatever i have on shift-F I can change to shift-T etc. So I'm less concerned with that.

What I'd really value is real life experience with either of these issues or similar.

Many thanks

nicklear said:

1) I share the laptop we have with my wife and so I would have to switch the keyboard quite a few times a day realistically. Would it still be worth it? We might have a computer each at some point in time, but I can't guarantee it.

Once you become a Colemak typist with a good technique, you shouldn't need to look at the keyboard, so in that case you could leave the keys labelled Qwerty and it wouldn't matter.  Some advocate even learning with Qwerty keys still place as a way to discourage looking at the keys. But I am sympathetic to the idea of not wanting to see Qwerty, especially when learning.

You could just get a second keyboard to plug in for your own use, perhaps one with blank keys. If you got a small mechanical keyboard that would be already a better experience than using the default laptop keyboard. When I was learning I used stickers temporarily.

nicklear said:

2) I am a video editor with many years of muscle memory built up of keyboard shortcuts. But these are editable within the software so feasibly whatever i have on shift-F I can change to shift-T etc. So I'm less concerned with that.

One of the nice things about Colemak is many of the common shortcuts remain unchanged. Obviously if you've learned a lot of shortcuts for a specific application, then you would need to do some relearning. I don't think I would remap them to non-standard keys though. Anyway, I think that's a relatively minor issue - most of the difficulty in the transitional period will likely come from day-to-day typing rather than shortcuts.

Good luck with the transition if you decide to go for it.

Last edited by stevep99 (12-Jun-2016 14:22:08)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Thanks for getting back to me. I agree with your post, but I was talking about having to change the keyboard setting in the OS regularly (OS X for me). I can see that it can be changed very easily on a keyboard shortcut or the menu bar, but as it's a shared laptop I'd literally have to do that every time I picked it up and every time I put it down, or my wife would go nuts.

It's a bitter pill to swallow (the j and the ; are the keys that really get to me), but I think I have to let this go for now and press on with QWERTY. It would still be amazing to touch type at all. If I ever get my own computer I might consider it again.

PortableKeyboardLayout can be set up with a inactivation delay so if you leave the laptop for n minutes your wife will find QWERTY. I find it easy enough to change layouts manually with Ctrl+Shift+2 (my preferred shortcut for this).

If you could use your own board, a hardware QUICKIE device is one option.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

PKL seems to be Windows only (http://pkl.sourceforge.net/) - is there a Mac equivalent?

Is a hardware device basically an external USB keyboard with a chip in it that you can plug into a computer and it automatically switched the keyboard layout (with Mac support)? I'm struggling to google it because the phrase "Quickie" is used for so many things.

QUICKIE is a term from my Big Bag topic, where all is explained. ;-) In fact, way more than you want to know is explained there! :-p

Yes, it's a hardware device (QWERTY USB In, Colemak Key Input Emulated); plugged between an external keyboard and your computer it'll change the layout. It's possible to make an internal version in your computer, but that's for the advanced. It supports anything that'll accept USB keyboards, even PlayStation.

There is a Mac implementation of several of my tricks. Although I don't have a Big Bag topic for Mac there's a link to a similar one by mkborregaard in both my Big Bag topics. Find it from there. As I'm not a Mac user myself, I can't tell you how simple this implementation is in use but I believe it's quite practical.

Last edited by DreymaR (13-Jun-2016 09:21:31)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Thank you, I will do some research on your link.

• Index
      • General
      • Using Colemak when I share a laptop / use app shortcuts?