• You are not logged in.

World Colemak Day

• Started by dietsche
  • 27 Replies:
DreymaR said:

What a programmer really really needs, is Extend! I advise you to get him hooked on that ASAP.

Then, the rest will follow. ;-)

Wow, not sure how I missed all this exciting goodness! How do you find extend vs adding vim bindings to editors?  They seem to have similar motivations. Regardless I might have to give this a shot!

Indeed, Extend was inspired in part by HHKB-type Fn keys and in part by Vim. :-)

I find that Extend lets me use Vim and Colemak without remapping anything in Vim, which saves me work when jumping between various virtual and real Linux machines (given that I'll need my layout anyway).

Even when on a Linux or Windows machine that doesn't let me install or run my keyboard layout, I can still use it and Extend with my USB-2-USB device.

But the biggest advantage is that it's with me everywhere. If I were to have to set up five different mappings for five different programs, I'd find it quite annoying, especially since I'm a perfectionist. I used a lot of time on my Vim mappings originally! Now, I've abandoned that project since it's better for me to use Extend plus native Vim and have that ready whenever I fire up a new Vim somewhere. And instead of fiddling with Vimperator or suchlike, I use Extend. Extend is with me whether I happen to use Firefox, Chrome or Explorer/Edge, and also in all different file explorers. And it's completely consistent across the board.

I find that extremely powerful. For the rest of my sales pitch, you've already seen it in that Extend topic I made. ;-)

Last edited by DreymaR (03-Oct-2016 10:30:50)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

jsmithy said:

How do you find extend vs adding vim bindings to editors?!

I second what DreymaR said. The beauty of it is it works automatically in every app, whether it be vim, a fully-fledged GUI editor, or a word processor. It even works in the terminal.  The only excuse for not using Extend is not knowing it exists!

Last edited by stevep99 (03-Oct-2016 13:20:14)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.