• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • Technical
  • Map search key in Gallium OS (Ubuntu) on a chromebook

Map search key in Gallium OS (Ubuntu) on a chromebook

• Started by thaneofcawdor
    • 5 Replies:

Sort of a specific ask, but I am curious how to map the "Search" key on my chromebook to being a backspace key. I am running Gallium OS on the chromebook and have searched around - I might be the only person on Earth with this requirement. Any help is appreciated!

Also trying to figure out search key to delete/backspace on chromebook linux (I forget if gallium is a linux or google os)

thought about maybe mapping tab to delete and maybe like shift+tab for tab or something for a temporary fix

this thread seems promising but I haven't tested anything and don't totally understand how it would work (discusses mapping search to ctrl I think, and you could just change to whatever code backspace/delete is)
    https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton/issues/811

see also http://askubuntu.com/questions/279822/c … trl-ubuntu

Last edited by colemakerist (20-Dec-2016 00:30:36)

Ummm... are you talking about Ubuntu? In that case, may I recommend using my xkb files? Using Caps as an Extend key really solves all your worries, trust me. ;-)

(As long as you're using both hands, that is.)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

If I remember rightly, in Chromebooks the "search key" (which is located where CapsLock would be on a normal keyboard) is really the "windows" key (or "super" key). Chromebooks don't have windows keys in the usual place, and so Google seem to have decided to replace CapsLock with the windows key, and then redefine the windows key in the OS to perform the custom search operation.

I'd say this means your best bet would be to remap the meaning of windows/super key in the xkb files if you want it to become backspace.

On the one hand, it's good that google have realized there are better uses for CapsLock, but taking away a modifier key is a fail in my view.

Last edited by stevep99 (20-Dec-2016 11:54:35)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Again, Extend will solve all of that. Putting Caps in the back seat (Ext+Esc on my layout) but still keeping it around.

Using xev to determine the key code of the "search key", it's not that hard to modify the xkb files to use it as Extend key or whatever you'd like.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • Technical
      • Map search key in Gallium OS (Ubuntu) on a chromebook