• You are not logged in.

Remapping Alt to Shift

• Started by misterW
  • 34 Replies:

Yes you are correct, I didn't explain properly. As you have described it is actually how I use the Shift Chords

But yes I still think the sticky shift is better, but this is only from my initial impression. There are a few diff sticky shift scripts out there, stevep99's worked best for me, but I removed his Capslock check

I use the AHK-based PortableKeyboardLayout (PKL) which employs a low-level keyboard hook. Other key mapping scripts will do the same. Two concurrent AHK processes can't both run the keyboard hook successfully, as they'll compete for the same hook and only one of them gets it. Therefore, either I must put sticky shift into PKL, run the other script from PKL or PKL from the other script. See? :-)

Last edited by DreymaR (06-Feb-2017 16:34:08)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
*** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

misterW said:

Even if you use a thumb key for Shift, you still have to press two keys at the same time, and you have to release them at the exact same time. When typing at fast speeds, it becomes extremely hard to time it correctly without making typos and having an extra letter CAptalized for example

Ha, when I first started using my thumb Shift key (left spacebar), I used to do that DOuble CApital thing quite a lot at first. I think it was because it speeded up my shifting so much that my other fingers were already too far ahead. I quickly got used to it though, don't really have that problem any more.

Why don't you make your Alt key be a sticky shift then? Then you could just do a quick tap it with the thumb and continue typing.

Last edited by stevep99 (06-Feb-2017 17:53:22)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

stevep99 said:

Why don't you make your Alt key be a sticky shift then? Then you could just do a quick tap it with the thumb and continue typing.

mind = blown

DreymaR said:

I think I'll try to introduce a sticky Shift functionality into PKL, eventually.

PLEASE!!! (knelt smiley)

Sooo... Alt becomes sticky Shift (or normal Shift if held down); LShift becomes Alt? Me like thought.

DreymaR said:

Sooo... Alt becomes sticky Shift (or normal Shift if held down); LShift becomes Alt? Me like thought.

I'd suggest instead mapping the Left Windows key to be LeftAlt. In other words, LeftAlt just moves one key to the left (i.e, to its location on a Mac keyboard). Also, on a lot of keyboards, the physical keys for Win and Alt are often the same size, so you might even be able to switch them.

I considered switching Alt with Shift at one point, but decided it was better to leave the standard shift keys unchanged, to avoid problems whilst still learning the new Shift method.

Presumably if you did this, you'd end up with something like this:
modifiers_1.png

(...with the thumb shift obviously being sticky!)

Last edited by stevep99 (07-Feb-2017 14:39:52)

My laptop has no RWin key at all, so I'd need a different solution. Also, moving only as many keys as is necessary to achieve goodness is still a goal.

(Yes, the laptop has a PrtSc key that sits there stupidly on the right side and I can always use Extend for that key so... but I want a solution that's fairly universal across common hardware.)

Last edited by DreymaR (07-Feb-2017 14:43:18)

DreymaR said:

My laptop has no RWin key at all, so I'd need a different solution. Also, moving only as many keys as is necessary to achieve goodness is still a goal.

(Yes, the laptop has a PrtSc key that sits there stupidly on the right side and I can always use Extend for that key so... but I want a solution that's fairly universal across common hardware.)

Windows-Key is the least important of the modifiers, so I think it's much less important where you put it. My laptop also doesn't have a RWin key either, but it does have a "menu" key, so I use that as my Windows key. Although I rarely use the Windows key, but it's nice to know its there! The loss of the Menu key doesn't matter because one of my Extend mappings emulates Menu key. And, I pretty much never use that either.

The benefit of having Shift (or in my case, Extend) in the LeftAlt position easily outweighs any minor inconvenience caused by having a non-standard Windows key.

Last edited by stevep99 (07-Feb-2017 15:52:49)

Fair enough. :-) I'll consider trying it!