• You are not logged in.

Key swapping

• Started by jag50
    • 1 Replies:

Hi to all! 

The RETURN key does overstretch the pinkie on a ENGLISH U.K (United Kingdom) keyboard.

What about turning the key next to the left SHIFT key into a RETURN key? 

I have done this using the Sharp Keys progam which is Windows XP/Vista/2000  registry hack. 

Caps Lock Problem
    -----------------------

Also if somebody wants to use CAPS LOCK in Colemak in Windows XP, press left ALT, SHIFT and PRINT SCREEN and use the Sticky Keys function.  Or go to Accessiblity Options which you can find in the Settings menu. 

By pressing the shift key twice when in Sticky keys mode you can have caps lock. 

By pressing Shift just once, it will convert the next letter only into a capital letter. 
    What a brilliant function!  I find having to press the shift key and a letter at the same time, a nuisance.  This solves this problem.

I have been using Colemak since the day it came out in January 2006.  I definitely recommend it.  The only draw back is that I have forgotten my QWERTY skills.  But who cares anyway.

Last edited by jag50 (10-Sep-2007 14:31:37)

HELP I"M STUCK IN STICKY LAND>

I agree with you about the enter being a stretch and even a strain at times on the pinkie. Still it doesn't bother me. But I did move shift to the left-alt to take the strain off my pinkies. Also it's much easier for me to type cap combinations as McPherson or PhD because I easily use my left thumb in combination with my fingers.

Plus, if you hit the space bar with your right thumb, this move gives your left thumb something to do.

But I use nTheia instead of Colemak because I detest row jumping. And nTheia is much more comfortable than any of a half-dozen other layouts I've tried.

Another great improvement is to shift the top left hand row in and the bottom left hand row out so that the left hand is angled in.

Here's an example using the left side of Colemak:

Z Q/W/F/G 
     A/R/S/T D
     /X/C/V P B
    Instead of:
    Q\W\F\P G
     A\R\S\T D
      Z\X\C\V B
    Last edited by sorenk (05-Aug-2007 09:39:35)

"Things will get better despite our efforts to improve them" - Will Rogers
    "...even the dog doesn't think I'm a monster." - Humphrey Bogart in The Caine Mutiny (1954)