Surgical Supersonic Speed-Typing
This keeps coming up: We all seem to agree that accuracy is vital to typing speed. So I took a glance at my Amphetype logs, and saw this trend (more or less):
• I've set the minimum accuracy for texts at 97%. When I fail that, my speed is usually low too.
• Accuracy ≈97.0% is frequently paired with speeds ≈60 WPM
• Accuracy ≈97.5% is frequently paired with speeds ≈65 WPM
• Accuracy ≈98.0% is frequently paired with speeds ≈70 WPM
• Accuracy ≈98.5% is frequently paired with speeds ≈75 WPM
• Accuracy ≈99.0% or higher is rare for me, and although I've hit a little over 80 WPM I don't see a direct link.
I think much of the speed reduction at high error rates is due to frequent correcting and lack of flow. Not sure how much each of these factors contributes.
If I do word practice in Amphetype, I'll set the accuracy threshold higher, usually at 98%. If I could have set it to 98.5% I'd have used that, so maybe in the future I'll use 99%.
But I just thought I'd chime in with my experiences on this. What about you guys, similar experiences and sentiments?
Hmmm... this makes me want to try firing up the old Typing Of The Dead and do accuracy challenges there...