• You are not logged in.

Making C-M-x work in Emacs

• Started by joncol
    • 3 Replies:

Hello, I just realized that C-M-x (i.e. Ctrl+Alt+x using non-Emacs style) doesn't work as intended (eval current defun) in Emacs, when running the Windows version of Colemak layout (available in the package from the first link on the page https://colemak.com/Windows).

It seems Ctrl+Alt+x is used for circumflex-modifying the next key pressed, so Ctrl+Alt+x, e gives "ê" for instance.

Is there some way to fix this, so that I can once again use the Emacs bindings?

Last edited by joncol (24-May-2017 15:19:57)

But it works fine when switching from the Colemak layout to the normal qwerty layout...?

davkol said:

MS Windows emulate AltGraph this way (Ctrl+Alt). You essentially have to disable AltGraph in Windows and handle keyboard layers using another software solution.

The standard US QWERTY layout doesn't use AltGr; it's very primitive. The US-International one does. Is everything working with that layout too? If so, then it may be enough to remove the AltGr mapping from the affected key (M) alone.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Yes, it works with the US-International layout as well.

I downloaded Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator and removed the AltGr-x mapping, and now it works as it should. Thanks for the suggestions and help.

DreymaR said:

The standard US QWERTY layout doesn't use AltGr; it's very primitive. The US-International one does. Is everything working with that layout too? If so, then it may be enough to remove the AltGr mapping from the affected key (M) alone.