• You are not logged in.

    Sticky Space as Ctrl

    • Started by bph
    • 13 Replies:
    • Reputation: 10
    • Registered: 06-Jun-2013
    • Posts: 483

    Has anyone (prob an emacs user) had any lucky using space as ctrl?

    i.e. space held plus another key is equal to ctrl-key

    i think its sometimes referred to as 'sticky space'?

    i'm getting problems with my left pinky and ring finger and looking for (cheap) solutions

    so no, i can't buy a maltron ;)

    sorry - should add I'm interested in ubuntu solutions here..

    Last edited by bph (11-Dec-2017 10:39:04)
    Offline
    • 0
    • Reputation: 20
    • Registered: 08-Oct-2017
    • Posts: 223
    bph said:

    Has anyone (prob an emacs user) had any lucky using space as ctrl?

    i.e. space held plus another key is equal to ctrl-key

    i think its sometimes referred to as 'sticky space'?

    i'm getting problems with my left pinky and ring finger and looking for (cheap) solutions

    so no, i can't buy a maltron ;)

    sorry - should add I'm interested in ubuntu solutions here..

    If you are willing to take in the big change you could try out spacemacs, It's my current editor and it kind of does some of what you want to do, but I guess you'll have to be willing to relearn quite a lot.

    Offline
    • 0
    • Reputation: 10
    • Registered: 06-Jun-2013
    • Posts: 483

    interesting but I can't quite make out what the USP of this is at first glance?

    i don't want to use a slegehammer to crack a nut here

    so does spacemacs implement a sticky space somehow then?

    I had considered going down the evil route to alleviate issues, but its so much to relearn..

    what i really want is thumb modifiers, ctrl, alt, shift and tab on the thumbs..

    i also really like the space cadet keyboard mod, i.e.

    win | alt | ctrl | space | ctrl | altgr | menu

    but my keyboard makes it tricky to swap those keys, and much as I try not to the printed key cap still influences what I press.. especially for chords and the like..

    reminds me of that idea of transposing everything one row up so you then have a bunch of keys for the thumbs - that was genius!

    theres also ergoemacs, but I don't want to go too far off piste here

    Last edited by bph (11-Dec-2017 11:13:06)
    Offline
    • 0
    • Reputation: 51
    • From: UK
    • Registered: 14-Apr-2014
    • Posts: 648
    bph said:

    i also really like the space cadet keyboard mod, i.e.

    win | alt | ctrl | space | ctrl | altgr | menu

    That is an improvement, but it seems a waste to me to have two controls easily accessible with thumbs.
    The left one should become Extend instead!

    I also thought heavy emacs users were known for remapping CapsLock to Control?

    Last edited by stevep99 (11-Dec-2017 12:08:54)

    Using Colemak Mod-DH with some additional ergonomic keyboard mods.

    Offline
    • 0
    • Reputation: 20
    • Registered: 08-Oct-2017
    • Posts: 223
    bph said:

    interesting but I can't quite make out what the USP of this is at first glance?

    i don't want to use a slegehammer to crack a nut here

    so does spacemacs implement a sticky space somehow then?

    I had considered going down the evil route to alleviate issues, but its so much to relearn..

    what i really want is thumb modifiers, ctrl, alt, shift and tab on the thumbs..

    i also really like the space cadet keyboard mod, i.e.

    win | alt | ctrl | space | ctrl | altgr | menu

    but my keyboard makes it tricky to swap those keys, and much as I try not to the printed key cap still influences what I press.. especially for chords and the like..

    reminds me of that idea of transposing everything one row up so you then have a bunch of keys for the thumbs - that was genius!

    theres also ergoemacs, but I don't want to go too far off piste here

    Spacemacs doesn't really do that no, but it's using evil, and the space as a leader key, which means that most emacs controls can be executed with space sequences, using elixir and alchemist for example, I run tests using SPC m t a, or saving a file with SPC f s, next buffer is SPC b n and so on, it's really nice when you get used to it.

    If you only want to remap space to ctrl if it's held though, it can be done usingxcape the only problem with it is that it will use the keyup of space to say when it's pushed without another key so it happens very easily that your space that you wanted to type gets executed as a control sequence. I used to have my caps lock key bound to escape on keyup, and as a ctrl sequence when chorded, it works well, but I think combining it with a key that is used as often as space is not such a good idea.

    Offline
    • 0
    • Reputation: 90
    • From: Oslo, Norway
    • Registered: 13-Dec-2006
    • Posts: 4,501

    I'm a big non-fan of sticky Space, because the space key is by far and wide the most used key and anything that can cause misfires when typing makes me extremely skeptical.

    If you can implement it so that typing isn't affected at all, then power to you. :-)

    *** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

    Offline
    • 0
    • Reputation: 10
    • Registered: 06-Jun-2013
    • Posts: 483

    spc-f-s and the like sounds very nice, but how do you hit space for a space then?

    its prob a stupid question but i really don't understand how vim works yet..

    even caps as ctrl is hurting me a bit these days :(

    Last edited by bph (11-Dec-2017 14:56:14)
    Offline
    • 0
    • Reputation: 20
    • Registered: 08-Oct-2017
    • Posts: 223
    bph said:

    spc-f-s and the like sounds very nice, but how do you hit space for a space then?

    its prob a stupid question but i really don't understand how vim works yet..

    even caps as ctrl is hurting me a bit these days :(

    Vim is a different beast to emacs, it has more modes, and it's why vim is called a modal text editor. Spacemacs is at least as a standard using the vim metaphor. This means when you start up the editor you are in normal mode, which means that every key that you press is a command, such as delete a character, copy line, mark something, replace something or such. When you do certain commands such as i (insert) I (insert at beginning of line) A (insert at end of line) o (insert new line) O (insert new line before) You will switch over to insert mode where you can insert text. when you're fininshed inserting text you push ESC, and you're back to normal mode where you can edit your text again. The space commands work in normal mode, where it replaces the vim standard behaviour as cursor forward one character, since there are already other ways of doing this.

    What the modal thing gives you is that you have all of your shortcuts as single or a couple of keypresses instead of lond chord combinations. For example if you have this

    Headline

    and you want this:

    Headline
    -------

    you would do

    yypVr-

    or copy whole line, paste under, mark line replace with -. It's hard in the beginning, but there really isn't a better quicker way to do it than what vim does.

    Offline
    • 0
    • Reputation: 10
    • Registered: 06-Jun-2013
    • Posts: 483

    that does sound familiar now you mention it

    so is spacemacs a bit like evil mode for emacs then?

    what key do you typically bind esc to then - having it in its normal position way out top left looks like it could also be a destroyer of pinkies?

    Offline
    • 0
    • Reputation: 20
    • Registered: 08-Oct-2017
    • Posts: 223
    bph said:

    that does sound familiar now you mention it

    so is spacemacs a bit like evil mode for emacs then?

    what key do you typically bind esc to then - having it in its normal position way out top left looks like it could also be a destroyer of pinkies?

    Spacemacs uses evil mode as a main building block, so I guess you can say so :)

    I usually push escape with my middle finger so that really isn't much of a problem for me, but I also use the "inside knuckle" of my little finger (like a karate chop) for ctrl, so I don't have much problems with that one either, you can also make use of a pair of characters that you aren't bound to use often, like ,. or you could use C-c or C-] to switch from insert into normal mode, but my favourite is still the middle finger esc :)

    Offline
    • 1
    • Reputation: 90
    • From: Oslo, Norway
    • Registered: 13-Dec-2006
    • Posts: 4,501

    On a side note: "Sticky Space" is a bad name for this functionality. Sticky modifiers are modifier keys that you can press and release, then hit the "modifyee" key – usually within a certain time period before it goes passive.

    So with sticky Shift I can hit Shift and then shortly thereafter a letter I want shifted, without having to hold down the Shift key. Very convenient for avoiding DOuble CAps when typing at top speed.

    Last edited by DreymaR (12-Dec-2017 09:43:36)

    *** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

    Offline
    • 0
    • Reputation: 10
    • Registered: 06-Jun-2013
    • Posts: 483

    its almost the opposite of sticky then

    to be honest - i'm trying to remain open minded and lateral here

    anything to solve the real underlying prob of sore fingers

    even started mini physio sessions for my left hand

    Offline
    • 0
    • Reputation: 20
    • Registered: 08-Oct-2017
    • Posts: 223
    bph said:

    its almost the opposite of sticky then

    to be honest - i'm trying to remain open minded and lateral here

    anything to solve the real underlying prob of sore fingers

    even started mini physio sessions for my left hand

    Did you try out xcape?

    Offline
    • 0
    • Reputation: 12
    • Registered: 01-Apr-2018
    • Posts: 115

    I use AutoHotKey for this purpose when I have to use Windows and anything but my own custom-built keyboards. The rest of the time I find a keyboard with QMK firmware and/or a split space bar with a remapped left half is more than up to the task .

    Offline
    • 0