• You are not logged in.

Wayland strikes twice

• Started by juice43
    • 9 Replies:

I finally got to trying out Gnome3/Wayland.
    It's been alright, just that I can no longer use xmodmap for layout switching.

As a Mod DH user, I'm not sure how to proceed and reverted to stock Colemak for now. I have the problem on two of my systems, Ubuntu 17.10 and Fedora 27.

Whether nitty gritty config or gui, I can do it, I've just found very little documentation.

As always, any help would be great.

Colemak typist

I haven't looked into Wayland much, but my understanding was that xkb is still used for keyboard layouts.
    So hopefully that means DreymaR's XKB tools would still work?

Last edited by stevep99 (16-Dec-2017 12:56:20)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Excellent, ColemakDH is up and running now.

I had to install and could not just run Dreymar's Big Bag of Tricks as GNOME3 overrides setxbmap.
    Though this solution is more elegant now that I use the system to configure my layout and not a startup script.

I wasn't done there though. In the initial Curl-ED, my 'D' key was at the B position and the bottom row was unshifted to the left, not how I wanted it.
    I went in manually, in the /usr/share/X11/xkb/system/colemak file, adding the bottom row letters to the Dbg cycle that is (Z X and C).

--

Though these couple of days showed me that the DH mod is true to vanilla Colemak, since I could type relatively quickly if I stayed mindful that DH were annoyingly and uncomfortably in the center. There was like a 95% retention between the two so that Colemak can save me in a pinch where ColemakDH is unavailable.

The past twenty minutes show me why I love DH though. It's like adding Chocolate to Milk.

--

Thanks again guys.

Colemak typist

juice43 said:

I had to install and could not just run Dreymar's Big Bag of Tricks as GNOME3 overrides setxbmap.
    Though this solution is more elegant now that I use the system to configure my layout and not a startup script.

I wasn't done there though. In the initial Curl-ED, my 'D' key was at the B position and the bottom row was unshifted to the left, not how I wanted it.
    I went in manually, in the /usr/share/X11/xkb/system/colemak file, adding the bottom row letters to the Dbg cycle that is (Z X and C).

--

Though these couple of days showed me that the DH mod is true to vanilla Colemak, since I could type relatively quickly if I stayed mindful that DH were annoyingly and uncomfortably in the center. There was like a 95% retention between the two so that Colemak can save me in a pinch where ColemakDH is unavailable.

The past twenty minutes show me why I love DH though. It's like adding Chocolate to Milk.

--

Thanks again guys.

That's good to hear, because I've been thinking a bit about what to do if I have to write something longer on a PC that is not mine. Caw really is the most comfortable way to write now that I got used to it.

am i going to have to go through this on next ubuntu upgrade?

juice43 said:

I went in manually, in the /usr/share/X11/xkb/system/colemak file

Glad you got it working, but if DreymaR's tools don't work as-is, that'd still be a problem for me, as I don't think I could survive now without Extend!!

Seems the next version of Ubuntu might be dropping a problem in our laps.

Edit: this gsettings command looks like it might be the way?

Last edited by stevep99 (19-Dec-2017 17:45:12)

Using Colemak-DH with Seniply.

Curl-DH mod installed perfectly. I'm not sure if the customization between ANSI and ISO caused wrongly placed bottom row keys.

I found it easy to modify in adding to keys in the cycle.
    I've saved for myself a custom Colemak (xkb) file for future upgrades.

I honestly felt I could completely rewrite a custom layout, as they are simply defined.
    One can use base Colemak or Qwerty and merely rearrange assignments.

Dreymar's additions, and also XKB for allowing it, shine in how modular they are.

Last edited by juice43 (19-Dec-2017 22:31:37)

Colemak typist

juice43 said:

[...]

In the initial Curl-ED, my 'D' key was at the B position and the bottom row was unshifted to the left, not how I wanted it.

Right. Sounds like you didn't set the right keyboard model then! See, whether you're using ISO or ANSI and depending on your preferences you'll need to choose a CurlAngle mod that works for you! And in my Big Bag for XKB that's done as a "keyboard model" to keep things modular.

This should be described in my Big Bag XKB topic. Let me know if something there is opaque or confusing!

In Ubuntu, the GUI setting for keyboard models went away years ago – probably to "keep it simple (and) stupid"? That was not to my advantage, so I resorted to setting it by my script using setxkbmap (in .bashrc for instance). I hope the new version has a setting for keyboard model now?

If setxkbmap isn't working as it should now, that's irksome. But either the model setting will still work or we can find out how to do it by gnomesettings.

Last edited by DreymaR (20-Dec-2017 12:15:22)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

DreymaR said:

Sounds like you didn't set the right keyboard model then!

Haha, it's like my car's engine needed oil so I'm using another one with the original in storage!

I honestly just never found the section for picking a model. Take your time since the new engine still works.
    --
    Seriously, the fact that you configured all this stuff is pretty cool. Does a mirror Colemak exist for the Curl mod? Because I found that interesting while reading your documentation.

Colemak typist

Hmmm... No, I don't think I can implement the Mirror and Curl mods modularly. You'll have to edit the layout itself I'm afraid. Keep in mind that your keyboard model may be modded so you'll have to account for that in the mirrored layout.

Let me know if you want to try that! It's an interesting thought.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***