• You are not logged in.
  • Index
  • General
  • Dear Shai: Windows Vista Caps to Backspace please

Dear Shai: Windows Vista Caps to Backspace please

• Started by jag50
    • 4 Replies:

Dear Shai,

Please could you convert Capslock to Backspace without registry remapping for the Windows Vista platform. This would be very much appreciated and would make my life a whole lot easier and for other people who download Colemak as well.

Thank you.

• Shai
    • Administrator

The computer I currently have is over 5 years old and is unable to run Vista, however I will order very soon a new computer that will come with Vista preinstalled. I'll see if I can figure out a better solution for the Backspace key under Vista soon.

Jag, do you have any ideas on how to achieve this? Because I don't think it can be done by layout remapping in Vista either, and I don't see what else there is besides registry remapping then.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

It is possible to create drivers that remap special keys, like backspace, it's just that Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator does not let you edit the special keys. Here is a program that seems to let you create drivers that remap the special keys:

http://www.kbdedit.com/

KbdEdit is no ordinary keyboard mapper: not only can you assign any letter or special character to any key, you can remap physical position and function of any, and we mean ANY key: letter or digit, Control, Alt, Shift, Function, multimedia or cursor keys.

That´s really interesting: It claims to produce a remap file that does these fancy things, even though the MS Keyboard Layout Creator can´t do that. I think I´ll look into this KBDEdit thing; could prove to be a goldmine if it turns out to work in a "clean" way.

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

• Index
      • General
      • Dear Shai: Windows Vista Caps to Backspace please