• You are not logged in.

BeeRaider Ergonomic Keyboard

• Started by drujd3ka
    • 8 Replies:

Hey guys,

I came across a (to me) new keyboard design called “BeeRaider”. This is what is looks like (bigger image):
    DL5rTU7.png

This keyboard is available in 2 layouts: QWERTY and the “optimized” one that you can see on the picture. I measured the optimized keyboard layout using stevep99's layout analyzer and it's quite terrible when it comes to same finger bigrams (having D and O; H and A on the same finger screams “BAD!” anyway). Therefore I don't really want to start a discussion on this “optimized” layout, rather, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the design of the keyboard. How ergonomic is it in your opinion?

By the way, if you're interested: I used this layout to measure it in stevep99's tool:

j b d s g u i h w x
     m n o t c f e a r l
      z q k p v ; y , .

Interesting concept. It looks as if they're more about the stunning geometric design than actual typing though?

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

Think I've seen this before. They do indeed seem to have versions with their own layout, or with Qwerty. Why anyone would want a Qwerty one with this unusual physical layout is anybody's guess.

In their custom layout, they seem to be focusing on having most common keys under strong fingers, but ignoring the traditional "home row" concept, and also not really caring much about same-finger issues. One thing I do like though, is the potential for those three bottom keys to be thumb modifiers, although by default they seem to be using them to select numbers/symbols.

To me it looks like an attempt to get attention with a distinctive design. But if you are going to get rid of the staggered layout, why not just have a matrix or symmetrically staggered layout? If you are up for migrating to a new physical layout, I can't see how this would be in any way better than say, an ErgoDox.

Last edited by stevep99 (22-Mar-2018 17:52:22)

Using Colemak Mod-DH with some additional ergonomic keyboard mods.

Yeah, that's what I mean: The design is visually stunning but doesn't seem ideally suited to fingers and hands.

Thumb chording in itself may be nice enough. Haven't tried it though.

Last edited by DreymaR (23-Mar-2018 10:22:44)

That looks pretty terrible, I don't think I'd enjoy typing on that keyboard at all. I really do want a stenotype or something of that ilk, but for now at least it's out of my price-range, at least for just the fooling around writing that I do ;p

DreymaR said:

Interesting concept. It looks as if they're more about the stunning geometric design than actual typing though?

That's what I think, too. It seems, they wanted to come up with something radical, but didn't put too much thought into it.

stevep99 said:

[...] is the potential for those three bottom keys to be thumb modifiers [...]

Yes, that caught my attention too. I think, it does actually make sense: Taking responsibilities off of the pinkies as to not have them reach for Shift.

stevep99 said:

But if you are going to get rid of the staggered layout, why not just have a matrix or symmetrically staggered layout? If you are up for migrating to a new physical layout, I can't see how this would be in any way better than say, an ErgoDox.

That makes me wonder, too. As I said in my reply to Dreymar: I guess, they didn't really put too much thought into this.

sotolf said:

[...] I don't think I'd enjoy typing on that keyboard at all.

My thoughts exactly. The centre seem to be too cramped together for my taste.

Either the thumb buttons are like Fn buttons in that they send other scan codes like number key codes etc, in which case you can't use them as thumb modifiers...

...or they're not, in which case the keyboard won't work without separate drivers.

Both cases suck for the thumb mod aficionado.

Mix of standard keyboard and alien design. I would not call it "Ergonomic".

I would rather type Qwerty blindfolded than this contraption.

ColemakDH typist