• You are not logged in.

Period problems

• Started by DreymaR
    • 3 Replies:

Hi, fellow Colemakers!

This isn't a big problem but I notice it when using Amphetype a lot: The period isn't pleasant (sorry if that came out as a bad pun, it wasn't... oh, who am I kidding...). It's not horrible, and it doesn't make me want to move keys around or anything drastic like that – especially given that '<' and '>' sit next to each other on the comma/period keys. But it's a bit annoying because the period key sees some use and curling the ring finger down to hit it isn't delightful.

So what to do about this? Not sure, really. As mentioned, I don't want to do anything drastic and it's not that bad. I've been thinking about trying some alternative fingering but the pinky won't be any better off I think and the middle finger would lead to a lot of hand movement for the benefit. Still, that's not more movement than when hitting Enter on an ISO keyboard...

What about you guys, do any of you feel this way? I use a Wide mod but that shouldn't matter here since the relative positions of the keys involved don't change.

Last edited by DreymaR (29-Nov-2018 10:43:25)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

I'm also not a fan of heavy ring-finger use - not just period/full-stop, but also Y (and W) as well - but maybe I just have weaker than average ring fingers! Combinations that involve ring-finger with pinky are especially less than ideal, e.g. WA, YO.

That said, ring-finger-bottom-row still beats index-finger-middle-column in my mind.

I don't think I would be willing to take an action regarding it.

(If alphabets only had about 16 letters it would be perfect!)

Last edited by stevep99 (29-Nov-2018 14:43:12)

Using Colemak Mod-DH with some additional ergonomic keyboard mods.

"YOU is the best word to type!"... said no colemaker ever. ;-)

To me the upward stretches are much better than the downward curls for the outer fingers, but I see what you mean. The ring fingers may not be so weak per se but they're often very dependent, meaning that they struggle to move around without following their neighbors. The pinkies are quite weak but on the other hand they're very independent and dexterous.

Last edited by DreymaR (29-Nov-2018 15:30:34)

*** Learn Colemak in 2–5 steps with Tarmak! ***
    *** Check out my Big Bag of Keyboard Tricks for Win/Linux/TMK... ***

IMO position of period is not ideal, but it is good enough. One of the goals of Colemak was to keep shortcuts and non-letters in their qwerty places, that does not sound like a benefit for creating more optimal layout, but in fact the result is happened to be quite good and optimal. As we all know, it is hard to create ideal layout with existing limitation for keys placement in standard (and even non-standard) keyboard. Moving something inevitably cause to move something else, and the final result that will not be Colemak any more. Workman is example for that :)