• You are not logged in.

AltGr + backslash (Ubuntu 18.10)

• Started by Furai
    • 2 Replies:

Hello,

I'm using the default Colemak layout installed on Ubuntu 18.10. Only modification I did was changing caps-lock to additional backspace. It always bothered me though - original Colemak (the one represented on wiki) allows you to use AltGr+[\] to input special characters (e.g. ™ (Trademark): AltGr+[\] [t]).

Unfortunately this key never worked for me. I know it's a known issue, I've been searching the net in the past for possible fixes but never found anything straight forward enough for someone who has no experience with keyboard layouts and how they work.

I'd love to get some help from you guys. And I'd like to keep the original user experience for Colemak - without changing layout in the slightest. I've been typing with it for over 6 years now, I think and I'd rather stick to it. Unless you can convince me otherwise. I'm Polish but I'm mostly writing in English every day.

Thanks for any help you can provide me with.

Cheers,
    Furai

Correct, this is not implemented in the Linux/X11/xkb implementation of Colemak, because unlike on Windows, compose sequences are not part of a keyboard layout, but of the higher level X Input Method.

You can define the dead key and corresponding compose sequences yourself though, see this topic.

Alternatively, you can learn standard X11 compose sequences, which are a much richer and more intuitive method of entering special characters, independent of your keyboard layout.  Eg. Compose+T+M for ™.  Here is the complete list.

Ok, thanks for help and your time.